Favorite "Skill" to perform?

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Not sure if this is where this should go, but, of all the "Skills", what one do you most enjoy? For instance: Do you really enjoy starting IV's because of the thrill of getting a first time flash on a tough stick? Or perhaps you like to use the KED...I have no clue why you would enjoy that lol.

I personally find using the Combitube to be fun, as it were. Granted, I have only used it in lab, on dummies.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I like sewing for complete hemostasis on heperanized patients.

When you have to sqeeze the blood out of the wound edges it is a feeling of a job well done... (it also makes the scar look better)

"Elegant..."

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
I like sewing for complete hemostasis on heperanized patients.

When you have to sqeeze the blood out of the wound edges it is a feeling of a job well done... (it also makes the scar look better)

"Elegant..."

o_O That's REALLY not in my scope lol. Is it a military thing?

Veneficus

Forum Chief

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
No, it is a cardiac surgery thing. :)

Show-off...:glare:

I like using adenosine and D50 mainly because it's one of the few meds we have that offers instant gratification. Can see that I was actually the one to fix the problem not just the taxi driver.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant

I like using adenosine and D50 mainly because it's one of the few meds we have that offers instant gratification. Can see that I was actually the one to fix the problem not just the taxi driver.

Agreed. On one of my ride alongs this semester, I saw D50 being given...wow. Within moments, the guy was "fine". Its awesome!

Veneficus

Forum Chief

What? It is cool.

inserting 14g IVs is high on my list too.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I like doing a cutdown faster than the guy on the other arm can start an I.V

You and Ven should have a race. Any willing volunteers?

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
You and Ven should have a race. Any willing volunteers?

ME! Maybe...

One of the lab instructors I had in basic did ask if anyone wanted to volunteer to have an NPA inserted.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Deploying and flowing a 2.5" hoseline or an unsupported 24' ladder throw top my list of favorite skills. Starting an IV would probably come in third.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I enjoyed central lines and nasal intubation. Both on the list of "we don't do those any longer". IO replaced the field central line and CPAP reduced the need for nasal intubation, but I still keep that skill in my bag o tricks.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Kind of a toss up between compassion and reason...both difficult skills to acquire and implement but once you do, the world becomes a different place.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Kind of a toss up between compassion and reason...both difficult skills to acquire and implement but once you do, the world becomes a different place.

That was deep, thank you. Both truly are skills that must be acquired to be a good EMT/Medic.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Does taking the nrb off your pt or taking the pt off of a long board that bls iniated count? The look on a lot of their faces was priceless. (Haven't had to do either in a while though)

As stated D50, adenosine, 14g and IOs.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Fecal managment systems aka rectal tubes.....not really

PVC

Forum Crew Member
ME! Maybe...

One of the lab instructors I had in basic did ask if anyone wanted to volunteer to have an NPA inserted.

In school would place NPAs on ourselves. Idle hands are the devil's workshop.

EDIT: My favorite skill set is high angle rescue or Tactical extrication.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
Placing pt on high flow o2 via cannula (6L) lol .. not to many cool things in the basic side of ems. I do enjoy pt interaction though

Achilles

Forum Moron
Talking to the PT, distracting them so they aren't concentrated on the pain. Kind of what abckidsmom said I guess...

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
Shuving npas in each others nose for the hell of it .. you guys must be some freaks lol, just kidding never thought of inserting them on each other