Favorite Boots?

socoemt

Forum Probie
I am starting at AMR next week and have been trolling around the forums for any advice that will help me as I transition into the EMS field full time. One thing that keeps coming up is "buy a nice pair of boots."

What makes a good pair of EMS boots? As I look online at many different models from many different manufacturers I am seeing all kinds of different features and they all claim to be the best. Does a zipper right next to laces really make a difference?

When I had my clinicals I was was strapped for cash, so I went to payless and got the cheapest black work boots I could find... BIG mistake! after only four hours in them I was seriously considering amputating my feet. it was excruciating!

What boots do you like best and why?

Forgive me if this thread seems redundant. There were similar threads to this one, but they were over two years old and I figure there are probably a lot of new models that have come out since then.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Whites. I absolutely love mine. Mine were off the shelf and fit perfect with no break in period at all and never got a blister. I wear them every shift and even when teaching and standing for 10 hours a day.

Schroeder

Forum Probie
I have a pair of galls steel toe quarter boots. Pretty comfy, not too expensive, and they breath well.

OP
OP
S

socoemt

Forum Probie
Is Galls the actual brand or did you just buy them from their website?

Schroeder

Forum Probie
Galls manufactures and sells them.

Achilles

Forum Moron
I have a pair of 5-11 tactical boots with the side zipper and carbon fiber toe. I love them and they take a shine!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Make sure you look at your AMR divisions policy on boots. You may have to get steel/composite toe and possibly steel shank.

OP
OP
S

socoemt

Forum Probie
Thanks for the advice, I go in on Tuesday for orientation and they said we were going to order a uniform, but I'm not sure what all they will provide yet. I will make sure to ask about boots.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I wear either Redback slipons or 5.11 ATAC side zips. Both good, however the Redbacks lack serious ankle support.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for the advice, I go in on Tuesday for orientation and they said we were going to order a uniform, but I'm not sure what all they will provide yet. I will make sure to ask about boots.

Whatever you do get, if you can, try to get side-zips. Makes all the difference in comfort.

OP
OP
S

socoemt

Forum Probie
This is going to make me sound like a complete newb but how does having a side zip make it more comfortable?

I have been looking at the 5.11 ATAC side zip boots. They seem really nice and don't cost an arm and a leg!

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
This is going to make me sound like a complete newb but how does having a side zip make it more comfortable?

I'm pretty newb-y too, I just find that it's so much easier to take them off to nap or whatever and put 'em back on quickly when the tones go off.

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
Ease of egress and also on hot days I find it more comfortable to wear them un zipped for a little extra ventilation.

OP
OP
S

socoemt

Forum Probie
Both are reasonable and logical answers that I probably should have come up with on my own;)

lucky13

Forum Probie
I just picked up timberland pro valor boots w/zip.
very comfy but there's an issue with the zip staying up. theres not a Velcro tab that goes over the zipper to help it stay up.

mrg86

Forum Crew Member
Haix Airpower R1 or R2, they are comfy and my first pair is still being used as a back up set three years after I bought them. They are expensive but the quality is awesome.