Falck - or the 900-pound gorilla no one is aware of

Anonymous

Forum Captain
Whoa whoa whoa, slow down there, cowboy. First off, it's Falck who owns Verihealth (they also own Care in OC). The reason for the difference in pay is because of the region. Living costs in NorCal is ridiculously high, especially in the Bay Area. That is why Verihealth/Falck in the Bay Area are making $16/hour compared to Care's $10/ hour. Different regions, different living costs.

Orange County CA, San Jose, and San Francisco are 3 of the top ten places with the highest cost of living in the United States. The statement that NorCal cost of living is ridiculously high (as compared to OC) is king of a generalized statement. Completely dependent on where you live. San Fran vs Oakland/ Newport Coast vs Santa Ana

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
Orange County CA, San Jose, and San Francisco are 3 of the top ten places with the highest cost of living in the United States. The statement that NorCal cost of living is ridiculously high (as compared to OC) is king of a generalized statement. Completely dependent on where you live. San Fran vs Oakland/ Newport Coast vs Santa Ana

everywhere is high in the bay area

dC0m

Forum Crew Member

It's a generalized statement but it is true. The whole Bay Area has a ridiculous high living cost compared to most cities in the LA/Bakersfield/SD region. Even less popular areas like Richmond and Oakland, (which some people consider to be the "cheaper" spots in the Bay Area), has higher living costs than MOST areas in LA/Bakersfield/SD. The whole region from Sonoma County down to Santa Cruz/Monterey/Carmel area (which is a good chunk of the "NorCal" population) hold true to this generalized statement.

Source: Born and raised in San Francisco & Oakland. Lived in the Bay Area for 17 years, in San Diego for 3.

SurfEMT

Forum Probie
EMS World Magazine (online) has an interview with Falck CEO Boo Heffner (yep thats his name) wherein he describes the company's acquisition strategy. He also compares the European EMS model compared to US. Interesting reading even if you only believe some of what he is saying about Falck.

SigOne

Forum Probie
Lifestar continues practice of firing people at 5 year mark

Lifestar continues its practice of firing people at the 5 year mark. Company fires some, reportedly to cut down on insurance rates, then hires more people later on, reportedly at a lower hourly rate. Business level stays about the same, if they are lucky. This, despite trimming two high paid execs, now at the rate of one bigwig a year. New year is coming!

drl

Forum Lieutenant
interesting...article says falck misrepresented itself...

It says that AMR accuses Falck of misrepresenting itself, but that's an accusation that ambulance companies make all the time when they lose out in the 9-1-1 bidding process. Just take a look at the McCormick versus CARE Ambulance bidding in LA Co.

We'll just have to see how Falck does in Salem, but I'll wager it'll at least be better than Rural/Metro and the Santa Clara Co contract.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Yup, typical AMR............

We didn't win so we are going to whine about it and throw out accusations. Fact of the end matter is that Falck is the largest private ambulance provider in the world with financial and operational success that far surpasses AMR and Rural Metro. They hold not only local county contracts, but entire state, provincial, and even national EMS and fire contracts. I believe they are going to continue to be a strong presence and not just in Norcal.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
Word on the street here is that Falck won the Aurora, CO contract, starting in September. That's an impressive coup, Aurora was Rural/Metro's second biggest contract and they've held it since 1998.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Word on the street here is that Falck won the Aurora, CO contract, starting in September. That's an impressive coup, Aurora was Rural/Metro's second biggest contract and they've held it since 1998.
Haven't R/M slowly been losing market shares in the metro? From what I understand their buyout of Pridemark didn't end well. But I've also been out of the region for a while.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Well with a little google-foo I found that falck does have a business address listed with the chamber of commerce in aurora. But other than that I can't seem to find anything that says they even bid.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
Haven't R/M slowly been losing market shares in the metro? From what I understand their buyout of Pridemark didn't end well. But I've also been out of the region for a while.

Yeah, there's not much of Pridemark left- they just have Wheat Ridge and Fairmount. Rural/Metro lost Boulder City and Boulder County to AMR and Arvada to the fire department.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
Well with a little google-foo I found that falck does have a business address listed with the chamber of commerce in aurora. But other than that I can't seem to find anything that says they even bid.

I haven't seen anything online either, but I've heard from several R/M employees that they were notified by management.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Wow. I was under the impression that AMR was in a good position to take over.