Falck - or the 900-pound gorilla no one is aware of

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Eh, Aurora isn't the most glamorous place to work.

Aurora fire has medics and they have primary medical control. The private service shows up, and typically drives the patient and the attending medic from Aurora fire to the hospital. Everyone who I have talked to who has worked in Aurora said it's very very very rare that the medics on the fire dept allow the medics on the ambulance to run a call, they are typically very rude to the ambulance crew. They are known for running a call, not allowing the ambulance crew to do anything (not even letting them sit in the back and just bringing their own fire riders), making a mess in the squad, and not assisting with clean up or re-stocking.

From everything I have heard Aurora FD and the ambulance crews have a very poor relationship in general and working on an ambulance in Aurora is a very unpleasant experience.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
^All as above.

Good luck to Falck. Reading the article, it sounds like Falck is going to do what AFD wanted all along and pay The fire department every time they "choose" to take a fire rider along on a transport. With every single ALS call I've seen in that system involving at least one, and often two, AFD paramedics transporting with the private ALS ambulance crew this means additional guaranteed revenue from Falck every single time they transport. Granted, I could be reading that sentence incorrectly, but I know Aurora Fire has pushed for that for years.

This is all brought to you by the same system that had fire crews known to hold up a whiteboard to the ambulance as they neared the scene with the words "come in" or "stay out" written on it. I can't imagine working in that system. Never have the words "stretcher jockey" been more appropriate.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
^All as above.

Good luck to Falck. Reading the article, it sounds like Falck is going to do what AFD wanted all along and pay The fire department every time they "choose" to take a fire rider along on a transport. With every single ALS call I've seen in that system involving at least one, and often two, AFD paramedics transporting with the private ALS ambulance crew this means additional guaranteed revenue from Falck every single time they transport. Granted, I could be reading that sentence incorrectly, but I know Aurora Fire has pushed for that for years.

This is all brought to you by the same system that had fire crews known to hold up a whiteboard to the ambulance as they neared the scene with the words "come in" or "stay out" written on it. I can't imagine working in that system. Never have the words "stretcher jockey" been more appropriate.

It's the common consensus that this is why Falck was chosen and why some council members believe Falck was chosen (monetary reasons).

I wouldn't necessarily call it a "loss" for RM or AMR. Aurora isn't a pleasant work environment.

Angel

Paramedic
Thanks for the insight! Idk how or why any self respecting medic or emt would want to work in that environment...but to each his own

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
The AMR Denver people are displeased (or so I heard)because they feel like they lost their chance for a 911 contract. But I would rather do IFT then drive AFD around all day.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
It's the common consensus that this is why Falck was chosen and why some council members believe Falck was chosen (monetary reasons).

I wouldn't necessarily call it a "loss" for RM or AMR. Aurora isn't a pleasant work environment.

What, and miss out on witty repartee like this?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
What, and miss out on witty repartee like this?
Likely far from the worst thing ever uttered in a Fire/EMS station or piece of apparatus. Doesn't make it appropriate, but god knows talk like this happens all the time in every department.

You have to feel bad for the dispatcher trying to tell him to shut up. Normally people know to immediately stop what they're saying, however innocuous, the moment you hear that "chirp chirp" sound of a radio mic transmitting in your room or truck.

Angel

Paramedic
For where? In norcal you apply and call call call
There's an interview
Physical test sign paper work
4 day Academy and fto 5 shifts

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I meant in terms of Falck replacing RM. Do current RM employees get priority with interviews?
Depends on the rfp. Usually yes.

Drax

Forum Captain
Depends on the rfp. Usually yes.

Falck NW is run by former R/M Management. They did not leave on good terms. I'm not positive which branch of Falck U.S. is taking over that area, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter. What I've heard is, they know who they would and would not hire. This is because they've seen you work or have worked with you. It is also my understanding that they won't offer extreme pay to laterals. In other words, if you've got in excess of I think it is 6 years, you won't be transferred with your +6 years rate of pay...that is, if they decide to hire you at all. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule for those exceptional members. All of this I've mentioned is a combination of what I've heard and what I've heard from other current employees.

Angel

Paramedic
i actually erased my post because i realized we weren't talking about the same ops...sorry

Drax

Forum Captain
i actually erased my post because i realized we weren't talking about the same ops...sorry
No worries, Falck NW specifically got the Salem contract like was mentioned earlier, which I can assure you is primarily former R/M management. I'm not sure which of Falck's branches is doing it's dealings with Aurora. Either way though, you might notice Falck chasing after contracts that R/M holds or is fighting to keep, which might be indicative of their agenda.

EMSMEDIC

Forum Ride Along
@Angel Then we must be talking about CARE more or less, which yes, is Falck, but little different. Bought-out versus start-up. If it's the Falck folks from California taking over Aurora it may be a little different. However, this guy is still running the show, and you can see his history. http://us.falck.com/en/us_emergency/corporateprofile

You seem pretty bitter about Falck for some reason. Just my opinion though.