Falck - or the 900-pound gorilla no one is aware of

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
What's going on with Care ambulance in Socal? It seems that after Falck bought them I haven't heard too much about aggressive expansion. Looking at the big picture though, they are somewhat limited. They can't try to grab very much new territory in LA county since a majority of the contracts aren't up until 2016, not counting renewal options.

Orange county is a mixed bag in itself. Which leads us to RIVERSIDE and SAN BERNARDINO COUNTIES. Both of those contracts will be up very soon and it would be interesting to see if Care finally gets paramedics on board to present a bid for those counties since they are run EMT/MEDIC.

I wonder if the purchase of Mccormick falling through affected their original plans of expansion in the Socal market. What are they up to?

I highly doubt AMR will loose Riverside and San Bernardino. They are the 2 biggest revenue contracts they have. I have seen CARE try and market here in Riverside City but they can't even pick up so its pointless. No One can pick up in the city other than AMR. They can get their name out but its going to be 2-3 yrs before anything happens so they can just keep marketing.

Care tried to take over a NAPA county contract but lost miserably because they have never had an ALS system. They had life star in Alabama ALS for 5yrs but that it and was long ago.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
... They are non union. Most fire departments wont allow non-union ambulances to transport their patients. At least thats how it is in the Seattle area, can't speak for the rest of the areas.

As you said that is how it is in Seattle. Trimed pretty much does most of the transports for south king county. (Except for South King fire.) And they are non union. Word from some of the hospitals is they really like them. Im indifferent. I dont really like their giant patch on their shirts.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
They didn't get blacklisted. They are non union. Most fire departments wont allow non-union ambulances to transport their patients. At least thats how it is in the Seattle area, can't speak for the rest of the areas. I wouldn't be surprised if they have already pissed off the fire departments though.

I'm pretty sure that is still being blacklisted.

energystar

Forum Crew Member
What's going on with Care ambulance in Socal? It seems that after Falck bought them I haven't heard too much about aggressive expansion. Looking at the big picture though, they are somewhat limited. They can't try to grab very much new territory in LA county since a majority of the contracts aren't up until 2016, not counting renewal options.

Orange county is a mixed bag in itself. Which leads us to RIVERSIDE and SAN BERNARDINO COUNTIES. Both of those contracts will be up very soon and it would be interesting to see if Care finally gets paramedics on board to present a bid for those counties since they are run EMT/MEDIC.

I wonder if the purchase of Mccormick falling through affected their original plans of expansion in the Socal market. What are they up to?

I know that CARE has just placed units out in Riverside starting in December. I know that they plan on bidding on both AMR contracts and are planning on implementing an ALS system. I do not know if CARE will be the one placing the bid or if Falck will place the bid as the company to run the county.

As for OC the rumors are that ever since Doctors was bought out by AMR and since AMR is banned? from OC they aren't sure if the contract will go to them again in the future.

The McCormick falling through was Falck not CARE trying to buy them. CARE wants private contracts not 911 contracts as 911 is a money pit and more of an advertisement for the IFT side.

Last edited by a moderator:

thebestever

Forum Ride Along
fALCK OR THE 900-POUND GORILLA NO ONE IS AWARE OF

The NJ offices of Lifestar have crap, old rigs. Edison has some newer rigs but they switch them back and forth between Totowa and Edison. Falck took away all incentives, Christmas party and picnic, there are dismal pay raises a mere .14 cents/hour. And that's for people who have been there for 4 years +.
Totowa is the base of operations in the US, yet they only rent the building and its dirty inside. management is tyrannical, you never get out on time.

SigOne

Forum Probie
For a look at how they treat United States veterans, try a freedom of information act (FOIA) request on the following case at the US Dept of Labor's Office of Federal Compliance Programs (OFCCP), complaint number 100180804. If you're a veteran, you might want to have a nitro pill handy.

PotatoMedic

Want to share any details?

Shotzman

Forum Probie
Does anyone know any EMTs for Falck Ambulance in Northern Cali? Im not sure if I should apply since im currently working with IFT Rural Metro. If anyone knows there hourly pay rate that will help me decide ^_^ Also I heard Falck has call bonuses and long distance bonuses, anyone know exactly how that works? ex; after 2 calls you get 10 bucks. anyways I appreciate the help.

As far as Falck Northern California goes, they just bought out the company I work for, Verihealth, and turned our headquarters into their Northern California region headquarters which is based out of Petaluma, CA. They just recently laid everyone off at their Concord and San Carlos stations for "restructuring" but brought back a few EMT's recently as well a couple weeks ago. Falck starts their EMT's at 16.00/hr for 8 hour shifts, and 10.00/hr for 24's. They do not get call bonuses. I get payed 12.50 for 8's and 9.05 for 24's and were supposed to get raises in September for us Verihealth folk :wub:
We are all very happy to be working for Falck now, brand new everything soon to come, power gurneys, sprinters, pay rate, uniforms, etc

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
As far as Falck Northern California goes, they just bought out the company I work for, Verihealth, and turned our headquarters into their Northern California region headquarters which is based out of Petaluma, CA. They just recently laid everyone off at their Concord and San Carlos stations for "restructuring" but brought back a few EMT's recently as well a couple weeks ago. Falck starts their EMT's at 16.00/hr for 8 hour shifts, and 10.00/hr for 24's. They do not get call bonuses. I get payed 12.50 for 8's and 9.05 for 24's and were supposed to get raises in September for us Verihealth folk :wub:
We are all very happy to be working for Falck now, brand new everything soon to come, power gurneys, sprinters, pay rate, uniforms, etc

Brand new every thing SOON TO COME thats a questionable statement for any company I don't believe anything I hear until I physically see it I'm not judging the companies promises. But I worked for private companies who always told us this is coming that is coming alot of changes are gonna happen for the better. And they never came.

In fact the company I left in 2002. for a better paying job. I ran into a former coworker who started a few months after me. shes still working there and is making less than I am after 11 years of service with the same company. Since she needs to hold onto the medical benefits for the time being. Shes toughing it out.

As far as LifeStar. They been poaching my area and trying to move further west into PA Alot of resistance since a few contracts were dropped by them but my biggest disappointment was for such a large company they have such poor equipment, and not all of their employees appear to know what proper hygeine is.

dC0m

Forum Crew Member

I used to see Verihealth Sprinters (with Falck badging on the side) running around San Mateo area, now I see mostly Falck branded Sprinters. Did Falck complete the rebranding of Verihealth to Falck? The pay sounds amazing compared to SoCal companies, but then again, living costs in the Bay area is ridiculous.

Also, out of curiosity, what contracts do Verihealth (or now Falck) hold around the bay area?

Shotzman

Forum Probie
Brand new every thing SOON TO COME thats a questionable statement for any company I don't believe anything I hear until I physically see it I'm not judging the companies promises. But I worked for private companies who always told us this is coming that is coming alot of changes are gonna happen for the better. And they never came.

In fact the company I left in 2002. for a better paying job. I ran into a former coworker who started a few months after me. shes still working there and is making less than I am after 11 years of service with the same company. Since she needs to hold onto the medical benefits for the time being. Shes toughing it out.

As far as LifeStar. They been poaching my area and trying to move further west into PA Alot of resistance since a few contracts were dropped by them but my biggest disappointment was for such a large company they have such poor equipment, and not all of their employees appear to know what proper hygeine is.

Youre right, we've had the same thing amongst our companny before falck... the supposed switch over to E-pcr's for one... however its a alittle more believable because we've already purchased new power gurneys for our medic/911 and cct crews, as well as we have 8 new falck sprinters already, and they just bought us out about 2 - 2 1/2 months ago. but who knows...
and the new raises is a big step too!

I used to see Verihealth Sprinters (with Falck badging on the side) running around San Mateo area, now I see mostly Falck branded Sprinters. Did Falck complete the rebranding of Verihealth to Falck? The pay sounds amazing compared to SoCal companies, but then again, living costs in the Bay area is ridiculous.

Also, out of curiosity, what contracts do Verihealth (or now Falck) hold around the bay area?

yep they did, our san meteo station was moved to the falck san carlos station, and everything verihealth over there is now solely falck, while all our other stations in petaluma, santa rosa, ukiah, occidental, sacramento are still verihealth and apparently going to slowly switch over to falck over the next 1 - 2 years.

as far as contracts, our biggest contracts are with santa rosa memorial, sutter santa rosa, and our most recent and big one with seton medical for our san meteo crews.

PotatoMedic

All the rigs from what I can tell are brand new up here (Falck NW). Unlike other private ems... Falck has money. Everything is bought cash.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
All the rigs from what I can tell are brand new up here (Falck NW). Unlike other private ems... Falck has money. Everything is bought cash.

Sweet!!!...

LifeStar is often referred to DeathStar by the EMS crews and the ER's around here. Maybe Falck Should funnel some of that cash over to the East Coast Like I said Lifestar has been trying to poach our area pretty well and have been successful but from what I gather they also lost some bigger contracts to other Private Transport companies.

thebestever

Forum Ride Along
Lifestar is Deathstar . Falk is taking over and has plenty of cash and doesn't spend it on the employees. The trucks are old many over 200,000 miles, management is terrible, zero advancement, zero incentives.. Laughable. The only way up is out. It seems the bases vary, I have heard the Totowa office is pitiful and the one in PA is much cleaner but the management still sucks. They hire anybody. And all perdiems. Atlantic healthcare is much better. That's where I now work, great benefits, free training programs and free ceus. Plus you get out on time..always!!

SigOne

Forum Probie
You can see the whole package ... if

Want to share any details?

you let me know of a snail-mail address where the info can get to you. You'll need a mailbox that can handle a 9 x 12 package of about 70 pages. It doesn't have to be your home address, which you probably don't want posted on the forum anyway. Maybe where you go to school, or train at a squad. It's quite the story. When it was shown to a group of doctors, they said take it to the authorities ... which has been done for the past year . ...

ChocoEMT

Forum Ride Along
Falck NW

Blacklisted I'd have to say no. They now run with Snopac,Snoco,Norcom with local fire and PD and everyone seems very happy to have them.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
The Falck/Verihealth exchange sounded interesting. They way I heard it was that Falck bought Verihealth, and then the owner of Verihealth turned around and bought the Falck Northern CA franchise. So essentially just a re-branding of the company.

I keep hearing rumors about them expanding and wanting to go after 911 contracts... Be interesting to see what happens in the future...

PotatoMedic

Double pasta

Last edited by a moderator:

PotatoMedic

The Falck/Verihealth exchange sounded interesting. They way I heard it was that Falck bought Verihealth, and then the owner of Verihealth turned around and bought the Falck Northern CA franchise. So essentially just a re-branding of the company.

I keep hearing rumors about them expanding and wanting to go after 911 contracts... Be interesting to see what happens in the future...

Falck still owns the north Cali operation since all the links still direct to Falck USA.

As to the NW I only expect them to get bigger. Rumor is rural will close down the king and snohomish operations with the restructuring. Allowing AMR and Falck to expand into that void.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
At least those poor Verihealth schmucks don't have to wear those awful jumpsuits anymore! Saw a crew today and they're wearing red shirts... Not a great color, in my opinion, but better than what they had...