Faith / Is there a place for God in EMS?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Would that be Scientology? Not sure if thats what you meant, it's the first thing that came to mind.

And a topic thread on anything religion related is going to hurt some feeling and be prone to being hijacked....

Scientology has nothing to do with science and more to do with science fiction.

I don't see the thread being hijacked. Its a thread on EMS on faith. Some are Catholic. Some are Protestants. Some are Jews. And some of us are athists. Thats it. Its that simple.

Jango

Forum Crew Member
Scientology has nothing to do with science and more to do with science fiction.

I don't see the thread being hijacked. Its a thread on EMS on faith. Some are Catholic. Some are Protestants. Some are Jews. And some of us are athists. Thats it. Its that simple.

I think you are right....I took a guess at it. And so far the thread has remained somewhat calm.....

mikie

Forum Lurker
Jewish here...

However, by no means am I 'devout.' Heck, my view of religion are still in the makings.

Judaism to me is more about spirituality and culture. I am not a firm believer in god, yet I identify myself as a Jew.

Sorry, I know that wasn't the topic of the forum as it was to pertain to Christians.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Sorry, I know that wasn't the topic of the forum as it was to pertain to Christians.

nope yout hit the topic on the head. Your Jewish. Don't apologize.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
I don't see the thread being hijacked. Its a thread on EMS on faith. Some are Catholic. Some are Protestants. Some are Jews. And some of us are athists. Thats it. Its that simple...

Along With These, Didnt Wann Leave Any One Out.B)
Aladura

Amish

Anglicanism

Asatru

Bah'ai Faith

Baptist

Bön

Buddhism

Cao Dai

Catholicism

Chinese Religion

Chopra Center

Christianity

Christian Science

Confucianism
Conservative Judaism

Divine Science

Eckankar

Epicureanism

Episcopalianism

Falun Gong

Germanic Heathenism Greco-Roman Religion
Hare Krishna (ISKCON)

Hasidic Judaism

Hellenic Reconstructionism

Hinduism

Islam

Jainism

Jehovah's Witnesses

Judaism

Kemetic Reconstructionism

Lutheranism

Mahayana Buddhism

Mayan Religion

Mithraism

Mormonism (LDS)
Neopaganism

New Thought

Nichiren Buddhism

Orthodox Christianity

Orthodox Judaism
Presbyterianism Protestantism

Pure Land Buddhism

Rastafari

Religious Science

Scientology

Seventh-day Adventist

Shaivism

Shinto

Sikhism

Stoicism

Taoism

Tendai Buddhism

Theravada Buddhism

Tibetan Buddhism

Unification Church

Unitarian Universalism

Unity Church

Vaishnavism

Wicca

Zen

Zoroastrianism

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Actually your quoting me, not Jingo. But yes, I didn't have the patience to type all of that.

Short Bus

Forum Crew Member
I believe in the things I can see and learn about and understand. I have a hard time going on what a 2000 year old book talks about. More so when it was written about a person that lived several hundred years before the people that wrote it. It has some good points that can help you get though, but for the most part...nah.

As has been said, I look at the how and why and that gets me throuh just fine.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Actually your quoting me, not Jingo. But yes, I didn't have the patience to type all of that.

Yes I appologize about that i realized when it was too late, and neither did I i looked it up hahah.

Firesurfer75

Forum Probie
Are any other Christians out there that would like to share how their faith in Christ got them through a difficult experience at work?

I used to struggle with faith when I'd see people in pain, especially family members screaming over their dead loved one. It drove me to losing faith at one point in my career, but as I've grown older I see reason behind faith and pain. As some others have already said, I sometimes pray to Jesus for the strength to make it through a tough time, or to help others, but I've stopped asking why bad things happen to good people. There are so many terrible things that are going on in the world, in fact, there always has been throughout history! My personal relationship with God has turned to personal happiness. I thank God everyday that He has blessed me with an awesome career that gives me happiness helping others. I thank God everyday for guiding me to happiness in life... Because of EMS, I'm happy, I own a nice home, I have a great family who has been safe and healthy. To me, these are the important things that I have God, my mother, and myself to thank. I actually deal with the suffering encountered in EMS as "this is my job, to do what I can to help them". If I worked in an office and pretended like bad things didn't happen, there would be someone else doing the EMS job and ignorance would be bliss. Honestly, I wish I could find happiness in an office job! The reality is that I can't, my happiness is in EMS, and that is where God comes into my life.. I thank him for my personal happiness, and that is what I have to drive off of.. happiness. Why do bad things happen to good people? I don't know, and would drive myself insane trying to find the answer. What I do know is that because of EMS I am happy and I have a happy family, and this is how I deal with difficult situations and faith.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I tend to incorporate all factors of my life and experience in my EMS work. Some of them are spiritual in nature, some are not. When things in my life are difficult, I turn to my spiritual practice to help me deal with them, whether EMS related or not. I have never understood what drives some people to advertise their beliefs. To me its a very private and personal thing and not for public display.

wexlerk13

Forum Probie
I have never understood what drives some people to advertise their beliefs. To me its a very private and personal thing and not for public display.

In my religion (christianity) the church is a community, not a building. Religion was ment to be shared or else it would be a secret. Don't get me wrong i don't like people pushing religions on others, but i view it as a good thing to be open about your religion.

why hide it?

JPINFV

Gadfly
In my religion (christianity) the church is a community, not a building. Religion was ment to be shared or else it would be a secret. Don't get me wrong i don't like people pushing religions on others, but i view it as a good thing to be open about your religion.

why hide it?

There's a fine line, though, between sharing and pushing. No one is going to argue about forming a community, but on the other hand I don't appreciate it when certain sects decide that religion makes a door to door sales job.

wexlerk13

Forum Probie

Jango

Forum Crew Member
There's a fine line, though, between sharing and pushing. No one is going to argue about forming a community, but on the other hand I don't appreciate it when certain sects decide that religion makes a door to door sales job.

I agree, the line is very fine in this area....I have seen people respond like a wounded animal when you challenge their beliefs.

Be a professional, use your beliefs for yourself....if your pt has different beliefs...respect them.

If someone wants to know about your beliefs....they can ask you.....if they need to know more there is always google. Religion is and always will be a touchy and sensitive subject. Bottom line....we all share a belief in doing whats right for our pt and our communities, if we did not then we wouldn't be in this line of work.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I understand that some believe that their beliefs are to be shared, I have just never understood why. Personally, I believe as Thomas Jefferson did...

"Say nothing of my religion. It is known to God and myself alone. Its evidence before the world is to be sought in my life: if it has been honest and dutiful to society the religion which has regulated it cannot be a bad one."

Firesurfer75

Forum Probie
When the Mormons come to my home and ask me if I have faith and religion, it really is none of their business, but they do have good intentions and it is a whole lot better question than them holding a gun at me and asking for my money. After they invite me to their church, I always smile and tell them likewise they're invited to my church as well. Religion is a personal thing, but in the christian bible Jesus teaches to spread the word of God, which some people do it fanatically and it can get annoying! Most religions that have a single god of worship teach that other gods of different religions are evil and false, hence the reason why so many arguments pursue, and the focal point of jihad. We live in a diverse culture in the states, built on religious freedom, so tolerance is a virtue and respect towards others is important in the U.S. The original post for this was "Are any other Christians out there that would like to share how their faith in Christ got them through a difficult experience at work?" ICOP just asked a simple question that has sparked into an entirely different topic of debate. I thought I would share my faith and thoughts with him/her with hopes that it could maybe help or provide some insight. I certainly wasn't advertising or pushing my beliefs. There were several replies here that didn't state if Jesus is their god of faith, but sharing their experience with faith and EMS certainly was helpful and in my opinion a good contribution to helping ICOP with his/her question. Maybe we could start a new topic called "Which is the correct religion?":wacko::lol: and see how long that draws out to be before it gets locked by a moderator!

JPINFV

Gadfly
In the end, I think the bible sums this up nicely in itself.
(But) take care not to perform righteous deeds in order that people may see them; otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father.

When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing, so that your almsgiving may be secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

When you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites. They neglect their appearance, so that they may appear to others to be fasting. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you may not appear to be fasting, except to your Father who is hidden. And your Father who sees what is hidden will repay you.
Matthew, Chapter 6. New American Bible

firecoins

IFT Puppet
When the Mormons come to my home and ask me if I have faith and religion, it really is none of their business, but they do have good intentions and it is a whole lot better question than them holding a gun at me and asking for my money

well thats a way to look at it.

Ill quote the atheist book.

Last edited by a moderator: