Ever google a call?

Have you used the internet to research a call you were involved in.

• Yes

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Just curious if anyone ever follows up on a call using the internet. I recently Googled a call which led me to a news article. A family member had commented on the news article using a social media account. When you clicked on that name it brought up the family members account and from there I could have gone to the patients social media account which was linked to the relatives account. I didn't go any further as it just felt kinda weird and honestly I think knowing much more about the patient wouldn't be emotionally healthy. Obviously this can be a slippery slope. Any thoughts?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Ive googled calls to see what the traditional media says about them, but thats it.

Sent from my Android Tablet using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Ive googled calls to see what the traditional media says about them, but thats it.

Sent from my Android Tablet using Tapatalk

That was my original intention, just to see what the media had to say about the call. I guess I'm a bit naive but it didn't occur to me that I could be looking at a picture of the patient in two clicks.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yup.

There were some tornadoes through my old service area last year, and there was a story about one at a call I was on, and a picture showed one of my EMT partners walking by while me and another paramedic were underneath a tarp with the patient.

Infact, had a ("suspected") homicide the other morning, but since it was a crime scene, didn't touch the body. I've looked on the ME's website to see if I can locate the person to find a cause of death, but they haven't been put in yet, which is odd for the ME. (It was an odd set of circumstances)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't google dialysis calls :sad:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I don't usually google calls for the news articles unless I'm trying to remember something, like when it happened. I will read the articles when they are first published in the paper/online. If I have a patient I'm pretty sure was going to die I'll check the obits after about a week and see if their name pops up or not. That is more to confirm they died rather than learn anything about them though.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
I sometimes google the address to get the location, but once we release the patient to the hospital I don't really care much, unless it is someone I know.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I've worked a high profile cardiac arrest (as in front of several hundred people, at a sporting event) and several drowning calls… I was curious to see how the public perceived the care.

I've also googled to see if the PT lived or died when I could get any follow up from the ER. :/

mikie

Forum Lurker
Community Driven Media

Unfortunately, most of our calls (the ones that occur in public typically) wind up on Patch.com anyway (and a stock image of our ambo or something) or other known sources.

Community driven media (not just Facebook posts or SOCIAL media anymore) is making privacy, etc, harder and harder.

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
Google VS Verizon

I was on 4am psych transfer from Lansing, MI all the way to Detroit. He was combative, and "wanted to kill us (police)"

We were using one of our phone's verizon GPS... when it told us to get off the highway (in Detroit); and as we are rolling down the off-ramp the GPS says ... "In 0.3 miles, turn *shuts off*"

Now we are stuck in a HORRIBLE part of town, at 4am, the back doors do NOT lock, and there we are, just sitting on the side of the off-ramp, praying that it turn on quickly!!

Sure enough, it came on, and we eventually made it to our destination.. But oh my, that was one of the scariest moments I've ever had in "silly transfers"!

Joe

Forum Captain
the only time i care to google a call is to see what the mileage from call to hospital was. i always forget to ask my partner what that mileage is or i forget to write it down. we work in the ghetto. i really dont care if my pt that od'd for the third time this week lives or dies

Anjel

Forum Angel
I was on 4am psych transfer from Lansing, MI all the way to Detroit. He was combative, and "wanted to kill us (police)"

We were using one of our phone's verizon GPS... when it told us to get off the highway (in Detroit); and as we are rolling down the off-ramp the GPS says ... "In 0.3 miles, turn *shuts off*"

Now we are stuck in a HORRIBLE part of town, at 4am, the back doors do NOT lock, and there we are, just sitting on the side of the off-ramp, praying that it turn on quickly!!

Sure enough, it came on, and we eventually made it to our destination.. But oh my, that was one of the scariest moments I've ever had in "silly transfers"!

Any where near the high way in detroit is not that bad. Lol You make it sound like you barely escaped the city with your life.

Learn to use a map book and you will never have to face death like that again.

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
Any where near the high way in detroit is not that bad. Lol You make it sound like you barely escaped the city with your life.

Learn to use a map book and you will never have to face death like that again.

Maybe I was a little over exaggerated, but at the time, it was scary dude..

Anjel

Forum Angel
Maybe I was a little over exaggerated, but at the time, it was scary dude..

Lol I guess if you aren't used to it, it can be bad. I am in detroit at least twice a shift. I still don't like taking people to private residences.

Oculuck

Forum Crew Member
Lol I guess if you aren't used to it, it can be bad. I am in detroit at least twice a shift. I still don't like taking people to private residences.

I've been 3rd-riding for about two years now, and that is only the second time I have been in Detroit.. It was scary for me because the EMT I was with was freaking out more then I was, putting county-straps around the patient backwards so if he flips out on us again, we can restrain him...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I have looked up a couple calls over the years. Mostly, it was simply to find out what happened after the call was complete. Most of the time, I don't care what happens to my patients unless I'm going to see them again, and even then, I'll get that follow-up via patient's chart. I, quite literally, have looked up 2 calls over 7 years of working the streets.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Actually just looked up the back story to a CCT I did today. It was interesting reading the MDs report and the news article together.

Archymomma

Forum Crew Member
Working in a town with one small newspaper, it is hard not to see news stories relating to some of the calls or be reading the paper and have a picture from an Obit. jump out at me. I've only googled 1 call though, to see if one of the patients lived. It was interesting to read the varing accounts of how the accident occured.