EMT/Fire Fighters and gun control

medic417

The Truth Provider
The safest and least likely to get an EMS services sued is no policy. If you say I can not carry and something happens that could have been prevented had I been armed my family will be rich. If you say yes you can carry and someone starts horse playing since that seems to be the norm based on peoples comments here and shoots someone then the service would be sued and lose. So ignorance is best policy for the service.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm undecided on this topic, but I know right now when I get to work I take my legally concealed firearm out of it's holster and it gets locked up. I don't really know if I would want to carry while on shift though, too many variables

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Placing a weapon in the hands of a medic? Are you guys serious, heck we are even worried about placing a defib and med.'s! I am sure not giving them a loaded gun!

R/r911

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder

I think that is awesome. Mind you I carry a gun all the time (on and off duty) BUT..... while working the ambulance I stopped carrying. That was my choice.

Look at the BART incident....... I bet the officer did not intend to shoot the guy. It will come out in court it was an accidental shooting. But notice the reaction of the public when the four officers where shot........... there were rallies in support of the shooter.

Work an inner-city urban area and make the mistake of shooting someone. Guys there is so much more that goes into carrying a gun than just carrying the gun.

If you make an informed decision to do so it is on you. Good luck with your homework.

My fight is FOR EMS. I have been battling to keep EMS safe for over 12 years. So don't think I am against EMS providers having tools to defend themselves.......... but we have a hard enough time separating ourselves from police on scenes......... start carrying guns and it will get worse.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Do you have a link to that? I wanna make sure that is not confused with a "castle doctrine" type ruling. :)

WA state has no Duty to Retreat law either...

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.020

(3) Whenever used by a party about to be injured, or by another lawfully aiding him or her, in preventing or attempting to prevent an offense against his or her person, or a malicious trespass, or other malicious interference with real or personal property lawfully in his or her possession, in case the force is not more than is necessary;

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.050
Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually my service will request police back up for the following
Suicide
Attempted suicide
MVA
Accidental OD
Mental health clients
Domestic violence
Fights
Any report of a weapon being present

I am opposed to EMS carryng firearms because we are already being mistaken for police if we carried sidearms we would really be mistaken for LEOs.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I am opposed to EMS carrying firearms because we are already being mistaken for police if we carried sidearms we would really be mistaken for LEOs.

Firearm would not be required, nor would it be visible. The public would have no clue who if any were carrying.

RMSP05

Forum Probie
I think if you want to carry, go for it, providing that you have a conceiled weapons permit AND have had proficency training. Anyone carrying a gun without training is just foolish.

EMT4LIFEE

Forum Ride Along
If we carry weapons then we will be even more likely to get shot when we hop out of our trucks more then we do now...Got a buddy that is or should i say was an EMT-P. 1st day on the job. gets out of his rig and BAM! guy shot him wit a 22 riffle from his window. Excuse? " i thought he was a cop. i had a warrent out for some parking tickets i didnt pay." What the *^$@! Killed him on the spot.

medic417

The Truth Provider
If we carry weapons then we will be even more likely to get shot when we hop out of our trucks more then we do now...Got a buddy that is or should i say was an EMT-P. 1st day on the job. gets out of his rig and BAM! guy shot him wit a 22 riffle from his window. Excuse? " i thought he was a cop. i had a warrent out for some parking tickets i didnt pay." What the *^$@! Killed him on the spot.

Us carrying concealed guns will not increase the idiots that do this. In fact if armed at least the partner could try and defend so they don't get shot to.

Hockey

Quackers

News story?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

They tend to be called "concealed" for a reason. It's not like we'd be wearing hip-holster like LEOs.

MrRevesz

Forum Crew Member
The truth of the matter is, wether it is right or not for EMS to carry weapons no one will ever be in full agreement. People pro-gun will usually lean towards the direction of carrying a weapon; where as the anti-gun group will try to find alternate routes to counter gun attacks and carrying... The moral is; where as the debate is interesting and informational, is it really worth the argument?

phabib

Forum Lieutenant
Here's my argument. Let's say you are able to carry a gun, you think you could pull it and shoot before another guy gets a shot off? Are you going to have one hand on your gun at all times?

Of course not. Your focus is on the patient. If you have time to feel like it's going to get violent then get out of there, don't pull a weapon.

I am not necessarily opposed to the tazer idea. Debilitating is better than life-taking.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Here's my argument. Let's say you are able to carry a gun, you think you could pull it and shoot before another guy gets a shot off? Are you going to have one hand on your gun at all times?

Of course not. Your focus is on the patient. If you have time to feel like it's going to get violent then get out of there, don't pull a weapon.

I am not necessarily opposed to the tazer idea. Debilitating is better than life-taking.

Apparently some of those who are for carrying guns feel they will be able to take cover and then, if they're not fatally shot in the first place, shoot back and "better". Kinda like a cowboy in a western, I imagine.

Personally, even if allowed to carry guns, I would never carry one. I suck at shooting. Last time I was at a gun range I managed to hit everything but the target (Including the ceiling.)

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
We never know when a call will go bad. You may not be able to survive long enough for the cops to get there. At least if people have gotten the education and certification to carry a firearm you have a fighting chance. W/O you are a sitting duck. Why does your feelings about being willing to become a defenseless target mean I should have no right to defend myself?

And if a service places a no carry policy for licensed people and they get shot the service will lose in the law suit that follows.

A properly concealed firearm will never be seen, so just make a policy that a firearm may not be visible at work.

Well, I;m glad to see we agree on something! ;) But kidding aside, I think that there is nothing wrong with carrying a conceled wepon while on duty. In fact, in many areas, a wepon might even be a good idea! That dosent mean that you have to pull a gun on every psych pt. HoweverOur safety comes first.Like my instructor used to say at almost every class, only half jokingly: "I come first. My personal safety is my number one concern."

I noticed someone else said in another post that your 2nd amdt. right interferes with my right to not get shot. If you are a law-breaking idiot who threatens me with deadly force (which can, by the way, include a closed fist) you just forfited your rights. Don't complain if you try to pull a fast one on me and I beat you to it with point four five of an inch (of mebby 9mm) of supersonic velocity, highly influential, copper-coated lead traveling at 1080 feet per second. (Or 1280 fps)(Not that I carry a cannon of a .45 on me, It just sounded good!)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

And sometimes, that type of action can get you killed. You don't always have the time to run away.

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=11109

JonTullos

Forum Captain
I don't think EMS should be armed. Although a TASER would be nice. Our job is to save lives not take them. Intsead of a firearm how about taking a self defence course.

THIS. I don't see any problem with having some non-lethal protection available to EMS but I don't think having a gun is the right thing to do.

Sasha

Forum Chief
And sometimes, that type of action can get you killed.

And so can pulling out a gun.