EMT-B's that pass the test amaze me..

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
First of all, I am an EMT-B... I continue to be amazed at the quality of people who pass the EMT-B exam. This is not a reference about every EMT-B because I know there are good ones too. I thought the test was easy but over the last few weeks I have run calls with some people that should never be near a patient. Here are a couple of examples.

1. I asked an EMT-B what the proper dosage is for Glucagon and he said "1 tube", and he just finished his local protocol class.

2. Last night I read the narrative for a call that we had just been on and it started with the word "acsodintly". I'll let you figure that one out.

3. I was on a call last week when I was told that a patients pulse rate was 60 when it was actually 84 in both arms.

And in 2 years, I have never seen and EMT-B actually read their textbook or any other book pertaining to pre-hospital care, after the graduated from EMT-B class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
1. I asked an EMT-B what the proper dosage is for Glucagon and he said "1 tube", and he just finished his local protocol class.

EMTs in your state can give IV/IM Glucagon?

The NREMT, while good in theory, is a joke. There are medics who I wouldn't trust with a bandaid who have passed the test, and there are people who have failed multiple times who are some of the smartest people I know.

I passed the EMT and Paramedic first time, but that doesn't make me a fan of it.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
+1

I didn't know Glucagon was a basic skill in Virginia.

I do know what you're saying though, I have only worked with one basic that I wouldn't ever want to work on me, other than that, I'm fortunate to work with some really great EMT's.

I also proctor sonne of the testing for EMT-B's and I see what you're saying. When I ran the AED station I had one that couldn't figure out how to turn the AED on, it was really sad :(

Sent from my mobile command center

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant

The NREMT, while good in theory, is a joke. There are medics who I wouldn't trust with a bandaid who have passed the test, and there are people who have failed multiple times who are some of the smartest people I know.

I passed the EMT and Paramedic first time, but that doesn't make me a fan of it.

In NC we can give glucagon IM for hypoglycemia, and we can also give it IV for beta blocker overdose.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Nope, EMT-Basics cannot give Glucagon in VA. I think he means Glutose, in which case "1 tube" is a perfectly reasonable answer.

As long as you document "Glutose" instead of "glucagon" on your PPCR.

While we're at it, glucagon comes in units of 1 mg. You can document 1 unit or 1 mg on your PPCR, which further makes the first answer not completely ridiculous.

And a pulse of 84 in both arms? Wow. I usually keep 42 on each side. :)

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
And in 2 years, I have never seen and EMT-B actually read their textbook or any other book pertaining to pre-hospital care, after the graduated from EMT-B class.

Scary isn't it? :ph34r:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
It amazes me how many EMTs feel they have a right to demean and criticize their coworkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Not to be an *** but...I can't believe EMT's who don't know their drugs rip on other EMT's for not knowing what they are doing....

Seriously dude.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Fail

Not to be an *** but...I can't believe EMT's who don't know their drugs rip on other EMT's for not knowing what they are doing....

Seriously dude.

fail.jpg

Fail.

EMT-IT753

Forum Lieutenant
"acsodintly"= Accidently. Just spell it like it sounds, isn't that acceptable???:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I do understand where you are coming from when it comes to spelling and grammer. Spelling errors irritate me to no end. We have spell check on our PCR's and we have dictionaries, but still people refuse to use them.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

I would like to point out that just because you don't see them reading their textbooks, doesn't mean that they aren't reading them at home. I rarely read my textbook on shift, I just find it hard to concentrate (could be because it's a terrible book, but that's beside the point).

Just because they don't want to reread their text, or expand on their level of knowledge doesn't mean that they're not a good EMT.

Sent from my mobile command center

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
EMT textbooks are pretty Basic. I don't blame anyone for not reading it after class.

I'm a grammar snob myself, but I don't remember any spelling questions on the NREMT, and I don't think there should be. EMT-B is not a very advanced job and I don't think it should be closed off to someone with low writing skills if that person is good at the other aspects of the job. Perhaps you could offer some assistance to your coworker?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
EMT textbooks are pretty Basic. I don't blame anyone for not reading it after class.

I'm a grammar snob myself, but I don't remember any spelling questions on the NREMT, and I don't think there should be. EMT-B is not a very advanced job and I don't think it should be closed off to someone with low writing skills if that person is good at the other aspects of the job. Perhaps you could offer some assistance to your coworker?

But, but, it's easier to come make fun of them on the interwebz :unsure:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm a grammar snob myself, but I don't remember any spelling questions on the NREMT, and I don't think there should be. EMT-B is not a very advanced job and I don't think it should be closed off to someone with low writing skills if that person is good at the other aspects of the job.

I will side with the OP on this part at least. We all complain that we aren't viewed as professionals, yet do not hold our standards to that of a professional career.

If that chart ever went to court the provider would get torn to pieces by a lawyer. "If you cant spell a High School level word, how can you be competent in providing life saving measures?" :rolleyes:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I will side with the OP on this part at least. We all complain that we aren't viewed as professionals, yet do not hold our standards to that of a professional career.

If that chart ever went to court the provider would get torn to pieces by a lawyer. "If you cant spell a High School level word, how can you be competent in providing life saving measures?" :rolleyes:

This is true, I know that our medical director would tear us a new one if there were grammatical errors like that one in our charts.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief

I disagree. Considering how many legal documents an EMT will write, you need to be able to spell. If you have poor spelling you need to work on improving it and still ensure your reports are presentable and spelled correctly. I worked with a girl with extreme dyslexia. She carried a small electronic dictionary with her. Yes, it took her longer to fill out a report but her reports were acceptable with very few errors.

Not knowing how to spell "accidentally" and taking a minute to look it up is one thing, as is a rare simple mistake like writing "accidentaly" - writing something as egregious as "acsodintly" in a medical record and legal document is unacceptable.