EMT-B class-what to wear?

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Given the broad range of "uniforms" in EMS, I would not say we really do either.

Honestly, what is NOT worn to class is far more important than what is. If a student comes to lecture with his trauma shears, flashlight, personal pair of the Jaws of Life or an AED in a fanny pack or wearing anything emblazoned with a Maltese Cross or Star of Life or anything else along those lines, I tend to pay less attention to him. Usually just about the same amount to anyone else I believe to be delusional and potentially dangerous to himself or others.

and having a uniform makes sure that no one OVERdresses aswell

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
As a former instructor and quality control officer who dealt with students and graduates of about eight different programs, the programs with uniform "standards" tend to have no better record of having fewer such persons released upon unsuspecting patients. Just because your program did it, doesn't mean that it's a good idea or the solution to a problem.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
I guess it's just personal preference.

JPINFV

Gadfly
neither do Doctors have a specific "uniform" once they get out in the field.

Neither do EMTs if you want to go that direction. An EMS provider working as a tech in the emergency department may wear scrubs, a provider working event medical or at a theme park may wear a t-shirt or polo shirt and shorts (polo shirt and shorts was my uniform when I worked at a water park), and a provider will generally wear some sort of work pants (****ies, BDUs, etc) and some sort of shirt (depending on the situation/service, t-shirt, polo, or something more formal).

On the other hand, most if not all residencies and medical schools are going to require their residents or students to wear business attire with a white coat. Just because the school doesn't dictate what color shirt or tie is worn doesn't make it any less of a uniform.

JPINFV

Gadfly

Provided the attire meets the physical needs of the course, why does it matter? If I want to come to class in my Sunday best, how does that affect you provided I meet all psychomotor demands?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I guess it's just personal preference.

Not so much that as the idea of making someone dress up for class tends to not improve their attitude if they don't want to be there to begin with (firefighters or wannabe firefighters) or they have some form of glaring personality flaw or shortcoming (malignant narcissism, ADD, gross immaturity, good ol' fashioned stupidity, just to name the most common issues). If we would stop trying to be para-military about stuff and start acting like a damn medical profession, we might actually get somewhere beyond just being a stepping stone for the upwardly mobile and a dumping ground for the dim witted or socially inept of the medical field.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Neither do EMTs if you want to go that direction. An EMS provider working as a tech in the emergency department may wear scrubs, a provider working event medical or at a theme park may wear a t-shirt or polo shirt and shorts (polo shirt and shorts was my uniform when I worked at a water park), and a provider will generally wear some sort of work pants (****ies, BDUs, etc) and some sort of shirt (depending on the situation/service, t-shirt, polo, or something more formal).

On the other hand, most if not all residencies and medical schools are going to require their residents or students to wear business attire with a white coat. Just because the school doesn't dictate what color shirt or tie is worn doesn't make it any less of a uniform.

Technically those are all uniforms, all that says is that employers have different uniforms...

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Given the broad range of "uniforms" in EMS, I would not say we really do either. Having 15 years of experience in hospitals, I would say that the variation among docs and other professionals is far than what we see in the ranks of EMS which is, for the most part, filled with rank amateurs.

Honestly, what is NOT worn to class is far more important than what is. If a student comes to lecture with his trauma shears, flashlight, personal pair of the Jaws of Life or an AED in a fanny pack or wearing anything emblazoned with a Maltese Cross or Star of Life or anything else along those lines, I tend to pay less attention to him. Usually just about the same amount to anyone else I believe to be delusional and potentially dangerous to himself or others.

Provided the attire meets the physical needs of the course, why does it matter? If I want to come to class in my Sunday best, how does that affect you provided I meet all psychomotor demands?

Definatly reffering to the " trauma shears, flashlight, personal pair of the Jaws of Life or an AED in a fanny pack or wearing anything emblazoned with a Maltese Cross or Star of Life or anything else along those lines"

JPINFV

Gadfly
Technically those are all uniforms, all that says is that employers have different uniforms...

I never said it wasn't. However, your argument is that uniforms aren't a concern for medical schools because physicians don't have a specific uniform once we leave school. However that exact same argument, EMS providers lack a specific uniform once they leave school, is true about EMS providers.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Definatly reffering to the " trauma shears, flashlight, personal pair of the Jaws of Life or an AED in a fanny pack or wearing anything emblazoned with a Maltese Cross or Star of Life or anything else along those lines"

No offense intended, but if you're going to argue educational standards- even at a basic level such as this discussion- it might be wise to watch one's spelling, grammar and syntax.

JPINFV

Gadfly

...and if I wanted to come to class with all of those, plus a pair of handcuffs on my Bat Belt, what's that to you? Does the AED hanging off my belt while I'm wearing a tux somehow distract you?

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
No offense intended, but if you're going to argue educational standards- even at a basic level such as this discussion- it might be wise to watch one's spelling, grammar and syntax.

...or we could not turn to personal attacks towards the person who's first language isn't English.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
...and if I wanted to come to class with all of those, plus a pair of handcuffs on my Bat Belt, what's that to you? Does the AED hanging off my belt while I'm wearing a tux somehow distract you?

I wasn't the one who said it bothered me, read the original posts...

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
...or we could not turn to personal attacks towards the person who's first language isn't English.

It's not a personal attack. It was just a polite suggestion. Trust me, if this gets personal, you'll realize it pretty quick.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
::confused::

If you aren't in agreement, why post the second quote?

usafmedic said

"Given the broad range of "uniforms" in EMS, I would not say we really do either.

Honestly, what is NOT worn to class is far more important than what is. If a student comes to lecture with his trauma shears, flashlight, personal pair of the Jaws of Life or an AED in a fanny pack or wearing anything emblazoned with a Maltese Cross or Star of Life or anything else along those lines, I tend to pay less attention to him."

so my response to that was

"and having a uniform makes sure that no one OVERdresses aswell"

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
No uniform for EMT-B or I. We wear uniforms at my medic school. Blue EMS pants, a white polo shirt with the schools name and Paramedic Student on the back and our name and Paramedic student on the front right chest and duty boots. We also are supposed to have shear on us on lab days.

I don't think it matters either way. We are held to the same grooming and professional standards as the medics that work for the company that runs my school. Does a uniform force you to be professional? No, but it does get you booted from the program real quick if you act like an *** and misrepresent our school and job if they see or hear about it.

JPINFV

Gadfly
usafmedic said

"Given the broad range of "uniforms" in EMS, I would not say we really do either.

Honestly, what is NOT worn to class is far more important than what is. If a student comes to lecture with his trauma shears, flashlight, personal pair of the Jaws of Life or an AED in a fanny pack or wearing anything emblazoned with a Maltese Cross or Star of Life or anything else along those lines, I tend to pay less attention to him."

so my response to that was

"and having a uniform makes sure that no one OVERdresses aswell"

So, I'll ask again. Who cares if I overdress?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
JPINFV said:
Does the AED hanging off my belt while I'm wearing a tux somehow distract you?

So, I'll ask again. Who cares if I overdress?

If you came to class in a tuxedo with an AED hanging from your belt I'd be distracted. :rofl:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I see no reason to wear a uniform to class. Isn't the purpose of a uniform to identify oneself? Do you really need to identify yourself as an EMT student to a group of EMT students and your instructors? I sure hope not.

One might argue that the purpose of a uniform is to look professional, but I think that's just an added benefit. We could also dress in a shirt and tie and look professional too, but people might not guess you are on the ambulance.

I might be biased a little bit though, I took my class through my college where we definitely do not wear uniforms. We had to wear navy pants and a white polo to clinicals, which cost me like 15 bucks. The other EMT school did wear uniforms all the time, I bet their embroidered polos and EMT pants cost a lot more.