EMT #1 Surprising Minimum-Wage Job

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Most of the info I saw said that either EMT-B is preferred or having both is preferred and that CNAs are not wanted in the ER.

You need to look again. I just at random pulled up 3 hospitals in Kentucky including St. Joseph's in Lexington and all had this:

Education:
High School Diploma or GED.
EMT Student or Nursing Student Required.
State CNA Preferred.
Experience:
Prior EMT/CNA or hospital experience preferred.
EMT student, Nursing Student, or CNA experience

And I don't really want to work as a CNA. I think EMT work would at least be interesting. If not, I'm only out $450 and a bunch of Saturdays I would have just spent paying videogames.

That's one way of looking at the EMT.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You need to look again. I just at random pulled up 3 hospitals in Kentucky including St. Joseph's in Lexington and all had this:

Education:
High School Diploma or GED.
EMT Student or Nursing Student Required.
State CNA Preferred.
Experience:
Prior EMT/CNA or hospital experience preferred.
EMT student, Nursing Student, or CNA experience

That's one way of looking at the EMT-B.

I'll echo that that is what most local hospitals around here want. The only time an EMT gets preference is if he's a medic student or a medic already.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Most of the info I saw said that either EMT-B is preferred or having both is preferred and that CNAs are not wanted in the ER.

And I don't really want to work as a CNA. I think EMT work would at least be interesting. If not, I'm only out $450 and a bunch of Saturdays I would have just spent paying videogames.

What do you think you will be doing as an ER Tech? An ER tech is just a CNA in the ER.. Your scope wont be any different than the next ER tech who holds a CNA cert just because you hold an EMT cert.

Also a "nurses aide" is a CNA, you brought information that conflicted your previous post.

medic417

The Truth Provider
What do you think you will be doing as an ER Tech? An ER tech is just a CNA in the ER.. Your scope wont be any different than the next ER tech who holds a CNA cert just because you hold an EMT cert.

Also a "nurses aide" is a CNA, you brought information that conflicted your previous post.

Sasha play nice with the new kid or you won't get your allowance. Do you hear me young lady?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Sasha play nice with the new kid or you won't get your allowance. Do you hear me young lady?

Oh no! Can I still borrow the car?

medic417

The Truth Provider

medic417

The Truth Provider
My grounded what?

Your butt is grounded from going anywhere and any more attitude you will lose emtlife privileges.

Guardian Angel

Forum Probie
Wow,

Reading through this thread is making me a little nervous:unsure: I understand that the pay rate is very low for EMT's, but, I didn't realize what an 'over saturated' field it is!:sad:

In order to 'beat out' the competition, what are employers looking for an an ideal canidate?

I know the answer isn't cut and dry, but, what have any of you 'now employed' EMTs come across during the hiring process, or, why do you feel you were hired over the next guy?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Wow,

In order to 'beat out' the competition, what are employers looking for an an ideal canidate?

:

Experienced non tattooed professional Paramedics.

Guardian Angel

Forum Probie
Experienced non tattooed professional Paramedics.

Does this also go for the EMT-B? I would assume so:rolleyes:.

I will be graduating for class in December, and have a vast spectrum of 'Professional' experience ( many years as a CNA, Restorative Aide, Senior Sales Manager/Trainer of over 200 reps, Retail, office management etc...and of course my most recent occupation, Licensed Massage Therapist) This all includes longevity at each position.

So, in essence, although I will be 'fresh' out of school/training, what would be the likelyhood of getting a position?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Does this also go for the EMT-B? I would assume so:rolleyes:.

I will be graduating for class in December, and have a vast spectrum of 'Professional' experience ( many years as a CNA, Restorative Aide, Senior Sales Manager/Trainer of over 200 reps, Retail, office management etc...and of course my most recent occupation, Licensed Massage Therapist) This all includes longevity at each position.

So, in essence, although I will be 'fresh' out of school/training, what would be the likelyhood of getting a position?

We do not want experienced EMT's. If you have been an EMT very long w/o getting into Paramedic degree program we consider that you may have some problems that we would prefer not to hire.

Honestly you should immediately begin a Paramedic degree program.

Guardian Angel

Forum Probie
Medic417,

I am not an EMT-B yet.:blush: I have just started classes/training to become an EMT-B. I will be finished at the end of this December.:)

Foxbat

Forum Captain
We do not want experienced EMT's. If you have been an EMT very long w/o getting into Paramedic degree program we consider that you may have some problems that we would prefer not to hire.
I do not want to debate this topic, but I don't want Guardian Angel to have an impression that this is every employer's point of view. My EMS chief (paid paramedic), for example, would rather have somebody who had EMT experience before medic school; and the university where I will go for paramedic program (if I do) recommends prior experience as an EMT.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
I do not want to debate this topic, but I don't want Guardian Angel to have an impression that this is every employer's point of view. My EMS chief (paid paramedic), for example, would rather have somebody who had EMT experience before medic school.

There are exceptions to ever rule.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I don't know. On this forum "go straight to medic school" POV seems to be prevalent, but most medics I know recommend otherwise. Perhaps it depends on location.

Often those that do recommend delay do so because they did it that way and because that is the old tradition backed by no evidence of benefit.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I don't know. On this forum "go straight to medic school" POV seems to be prevalent, but most medics I know recommend otherwise. Perhaps it depends on location.

Only out of shame that they didn't go straight to medic school!