EMS Tattoos

detox187

Forum Ride Along
So I searched around the forum a little for a tattoo thread. I figured I would post a pic of my newest tattoo which is a blend of a traumatic injury and the star of life. Let me know what you think!

staroflife.jpg

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Picture of my body suit in the works in my profile. Traditional japanese

medic417

The Truth Provider
Glad to see it can be covered while at work.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

yeah can be covered completely. Except when im in scrubs i have to where a t-shirt underneath the top to keep the top of it from creeping over the lowish neckline of scrubs

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
I wonder how many folk in other lines of work carry tattoos that have something to do with that work?

harkj

Forum Crew Member
everybody i work with has a star of life tattoo somewhere on their body and some of them cant be covered by the uniform but as long as its not offensive you do not have to cover your tattoos

medic417

The Truth Provider
If they are not covered you might as well not show up for work as you will just be sent home.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
everybody i work with has a star of life tattoo somewhere on their body and some of them cant be covered by the uniform but as long as its not offensive you do not have to cover your tattoos

Might want to check out JEMS issue regarding this as the majority of EMS has policies with "no visible".

R/r 911

Sasha

Forum Chief

I dont understand why people want to tattoo themselves with a symbol that represents something you may or may not be doing next year.

ki4mus

Forum Crew Member
I dont understand why people want to tattoo themselves with a symbol that represents something you may or may not be doing next year.

becouse even if I'm not doing this in a year (though personally I fully plan to) the star of life has been a major part of my life for the past 4 years and always been in my life as I pretty much grew up in an ambulance...The closest friends and family that I have ware a blue star or a red cross... I ware the star on my clothes almost everyday, why not see to it that I always have it on me? I'm certainly not ashamed of it...

FireResuce48

Forum Crew Member
I have a work in progress. The outline is done. I just need it colored.

It's a Maltese cross with a helmet in the middle with my station number and such.

Yea, I might not be at that station forever. But it's the first place I vollied at. In 2007 I lived there and had the time of life riding with some good fire fighters and emts who also lived there.

When I look at I remember them. It's for me to always look at and remember the bonds ive formed with those guys.

medic417

The Truth Provider

It's a Maltese cross with a helmet in the middle with my station number and such.

Yea, I might not be at that station forever. But it's the first place I vollied at. In 2007 I lived there and had the time of life riding with some good fire fighters and emts who also lived there.

When I look at I remember them. It's for me to always look at and remember the bonds ive formed with those guys.

Wouldn't a picture on the wall with all members of that service allow the same if not better recall?

VentMedic

Forum Chief

Even the older veterans who were once very proud of their military tattoos are now very saddened at the way their body is no longer doing justice to what was one a symbol they were proud of. Many will now keep the tattoo covered to avoid embarrassing questions about "what was that" as the aging process has totally distorted the image that they once cherished as a proud memory. Many probably wish they had gotten photographs of their memories instead of a tattoo.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Even the older veterans who were once very proud of their military tattoos are now very saddened at the way their body is no longer doing justice to what was one a symbol they were proud of. Many will now keep the tattoo covered to avoid embarrassing questions about "what was that" as the aging process has totally distorted the image that they once cherished as a proud memory. Many probably wish they had gotten photographs of their memories instead of a tattoo.

Plus one. My grandfather was a career navy man. He has tattoos on both his forearms, when asked by a younger family member what they were, he told them (could not tell, they look like big black ink blotches and he is a thin and lean man.) and also added it was the worst decision he had ever made and has regretted it for years and often wears long sleeves in public to cover them.

Pictures don't ruin your skin

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
I don't get the whole tatoo thing, isn't enough that you got your glow in the dark patch?

Yeah, I'm planning on getting a full-torso tattoo in fluorescent ink of those sweet high-visibility vests.

harkj

Forum Crew Member
Might want to check out JEMS issue regarding this as the majority of EMS has policies with "no visible".

R/r 911

i should have phrased that as the company i work you are allowed to have visible tattoos as long as they are not offensive.

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
some people get tattoos, not to look good, or be cool... but they get them because it represents something they stand for, or something they did in their life... i have one tattoo that (to me) represents my family, where i grew up, and where i am from... another which represents (to me) my medical time in the navy, but its not a star of life or a caduceus... also have a tattoo that represents my passion for rock climbing... and i am about to get a japanese half sleeve representing my time living in japan... ironically it will intertwine with my tattoo that represents where i am from, and where i grew up... i will always be able to tell a story about my tattoos...

i do think how it will affect me in the future... but i like to live in the present. just got to find a department, that will let me wear a long sleeved uniform...