EMS Tattoos

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
All tattoos tend to get a little distorted with aging and looser skin... however, the inks and techniques used today I would say are better then those used in 1959.

When I turn 70, I'll let you all know how mine are looking ;)

kittaypie

Forum Crew Member
All tattoos tend to get a little distorted with aging and looser skin... however, the inks and techniques used today I would say are better then those used in 1959.

When I turn 70, I'll let you all know how mine are looking ;)

i agree... tattoos are a LOT better today than they were 50 years ago. i expect mine to age pretty gracefully... and if they don't there's always laser removal/plastic surgery :p

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
you can always get them touched up too...

EMTguy69

Forum Probie
I have the star of life on my right forearm (inside).....I just started with a new EMS company, and my FTO told me that we're not allowed to have visible tattoos...well I don't have a problem with covering my tat....the only thing I found it to be a double standard was that this guy has tattoos on both arms down to his wrist and neck.....and doesn't cover them up....I think its stupid for a FTO to tell you that you have to cover your tattoo, when he just walks around showing off his....what ever happened to "Lead by expample"?

I cover my tattoo just to humor him......but I don't agree with the double standard.

Last edited by a moderator:

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
he was probably joking around with you... there probably is a tattoo policy but obviously its not enforced...

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
So I searched around the forum a little for a tattoo thread. I figured I would post a pic of my newest tattoo which is a blend of a traumatic injury and the star of life. Let me know what you think!

staroflife.jpg

This is incredible. I absolutely love your idea of combining the star with the injury. Very clever. Very well done as well. I'll be doing a tat myself but it will be for my medical id bracelet, not for ems.. will double well nicely though. ;)

EMTguy69

Forum Probie
Tattoo

That's a nice Tattoo, detox187. I have the Star of Life with the Cadeuces in the center....I get alot of compliments from it.....although there once was this one guy who asked me if my tat had something to do with the KKK.....I was like What the F****?!, then I said "No, it has nothing to do with the KKK, it's the star of life which you see on an ambulance with the Cadeuces...which is the medical symbol.....then he was like "Oh....cool..." LMAO!!!!!

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
i think this is a very cool design, i haven't seen anything like it.

i'm fine with smaller tattoo's that represent something.... but the bigger they get, the less i like them. like when people cover entire body parts with ink, especially when it doesn't mean anything or interferes with things like work. i prefer looking at what we were born with.

in other words, cool design, but getting a little big. although i don't think that would look as good any smaller because details would start to be sacrificed.

EMTguy69

Forum Probie
Off the subject.

i agree... tattoos are a LOT better today than they were 50 years ago. i expect mine to age pretty gracefully... and if they don't there's always laser removal/plastic surgery :p

Are you still a Paramedic Student? If so, where and what classes do you recommend to help me with Paramedic School. I'm currently EMT Basic, have 6 years experience as a Medical Assistant. I was teaching the Medical Assistant program for a while.

Any infor that you can give me will help alot. Thanks.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
i think this is a very cool design, i haven't seen anything like it.

i'm fine with smaller tattoo's that represent something.... but the bigger they get, the less i like them. like when people cover entire body parts with ink, especially when it doesn't mean anything or interferes with things like work. i prefer looking at what we were born with.

in other words, cool design, but getting a little big. although i don't think that would look as good any smaller because details would start to be sacrificed.

Sometimes location and size of the tattoo directly relate to the tattoo itself. Mostly a symbolism of pain. I can see where the "pain" of that large a piece would tie in with the job. With tattoos, symbolism comes in bounds, at every possible level.

kittaypie

Forum Crew Member
Are you still a Paramedic Student? If so, where and what classes do you recommend to help me with Paramedic School. I'm currently EMT Basic, have 6 years experience as a Medical Assistant. I was teaching the Medical Assistant program for a while.

Any infor that you can give me will help alot. Thanks.

yup, still a student. i'm out at victor valley college. it's a good idea to take anatomy/physiology before starting medic school. i went in without having taken any other classes and was overwhelmed with all the new information in such a short time period. my school teaches A&P in a 6 week period, which is way too short in my opinion. the people who had taken those courses ahead of time had an advantage. good luck!

VentMedic

Forum Chief
you can always get them touched up too...

Must be nice to be so young you don't know what the aging process will do.

he was probably joking around with you... there probably is a tattoo policy but obviously its not enforced...

The companies (and hospitals) I know strictly enforce their tatto policy. Some employees have been so stupid to ignor these policies and have quickly found themselves on the unemployment line, with or without a union. It is a direct violation of a written policy that they should have known about in advance. Even some restaurants or any other job that deals with the public have these policies that require the tattoos to be covered.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
At costco here they make their employees wear gauze/tape over them. :rolleyes: I mean seriously, costco? I wont go that far, but I will have mine covered. When you say ignore? What do you mean exactly? They had visible tattoos and didn't cover them, or they were covered and the tat was seen on accident?

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
well usually the skin starts to get all loose and fugly around 60... soo i don't think i will care all that mach at that age... all my tattoos will be below my elbow so its not like it will be easy to see anyways...

what he means by "ignore" is that employees who ignore to abide by the policy i.e. cover their tattoos will get kanked. pretty simple concept... but when i talk tattoos im talking like on the upper arm or on the chest or back... some of you are thinkin like on the hand, face, wrist, neck, head, scalp.. ewww obviously its gonna be hard to get hired if you have tattoos in those areas.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I have them on my inner wrists. But they are covered by my watch and medic alert bracelet. *shrugs* I'll wear long sleeves and hopefully find a company that is willing to take me for my medical skills and overall professionalism, and not reject me because I have two dragonflies on my wrists.

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
i really cant imagine an EMS company that would reject anyone who has tattoos that can be covered by long sleeves... now if they cant be covered by longs sleeves its another story...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
i really cant imagine an EMS company that would reject anyone who has tattoos that can be covered by long sleeves... now if they cant be covered by longs sleeves its another story...

I can. A company that works in a region that never wears long sleeves. One must remember, there are tons of EMT's out there.

An awakening, I test and interview at the least 10-20 EMT's a week now seeking a job. From two months ago where everyone was searching for Paramedics to now I am seeing at least five a week that have experience needing a job. The market is flooded with EMT's and the competition is fierce as anything to be eliminated will be used.

I have a smorgasbord to choose from for one position. For example at this time I have 40 well qualified applicants that have passed their written, practical and initial panel interview all competing for just one position. If all applicants are as equal value as in strengths of medical, experience and drive; why would I need to hire someone that has to have special arrangements when I have 39 others that don't? Again, nothing personal as we have many that has tatts (non-visable).

R/r 911

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Po

My opinion:
I don't like marred skin. I don't like tattoos. It's like having a big fancy postage stamp that I can't take off you. Luckily, my ladyfriend and I feel the same way. I don't like the colors (Any that I've seen.), but I do generally find human skin attractive.

In another light:

If I were going to date, and given the option between two women that were equally kind, intelligent, attractive, and of the same moral quality, but one had a tattoo...I'd date the one without the tattoo. Why change what I like? All natural baby! ;)

Of course, I have friends with tattoos. I just think the tats are ugly.

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
who would you hire?

applicant "A"

1. has an AS in para-medicine
2. served in the military as a health care provider for 5 years
3. has worked as an EMT-B for 2 years while obtaining an AS in para-medicine
4. is well groomed (wore long sleeve button up shirt w/tie and slacks to interview)
5. is active and healthy
6. has a half sleeve that you can barley see with a polo shirt on. (which by the way you wouldnt realize he had a tattoo until after you hired him)

applicant "B"

1. has a paramedic cert
2. after he got his EMT-B he went straight to paramedic school
3. is somewhat well groomed (wore polo/jeans to interview)
4. is a bit chubby
5. has no real medical experience what so ever.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Option A.
Of course, I would find his tattoo to be a self-inflicted blemish. Don't take too much offense if any, but I just don't like them. I have never seen one that has enhanced the beauty of anyone, and I've never been able to imagine a scenario where I would want/need to acquire one myself. Some people have different tastes.

False dilemmas do not change the fact that I will pick someone without a tattoo, all other things being equal. If I'm going to get a slob or someone with something I consider a blemish who is professional, I'll always go with the latter.

Personally, do I like any tattoos? No.

Oddly enough, there are attractive people who have tattoos. I find the tattoo to be a permanent unattractive area. Different strokes for different folks! :p

PS-I hope I never work in an area where option B is the most viable choice!