EMS systems similar to FDNY

ricardoj

Forum Probie
MA fire

Most of the fire depts. in MA (and CT) cover ALS/BLS. And those that don't are typically transitioning into that role.

OP
OP
lukgiel

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
All three counties in Delaware.

Thanks.
Do you work for one od those systems? How hard is it to get a job? Considering you have both transport and city 911 exp?

OP
OP
lukgiel

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Most of the fire depts. in MA (and CT) cover ALS/BLS. And those that don't are typically transitioning into that role.

Cool, is that where you work?

OP
OP
lukgiel

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
For anyone's respective depts, how's the tattoo policy? I have two sleeves, being in NYC, FDNY has no policy on tattoos as long as its not offensive, and hospitals and privates don't care

OP
OP
lukgiel

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
So we have two gods?

I always thought I was a god

terrible one

Always wandering
If all you're interested in is city run EMS, come to southern California, can't throw a rock without hitting a dozen (or more) FDs that run their own ambulances. The rest all run the first in Paramedics, a private is merely their BLS transport.

Horrible advice. CA EMS is literally as bad as it gets. If you have no interest in fire departments stay as far away as possible from CA.
Good luck getting a pension retirement, those are fading quickly.
Third service systems, look at Texas, NC, SC, and Delaware.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Indianapolis EMS (IEMS). Under the city of Indianapolis Department of Public Safety, the IEMS is a sister agency to the IFD and the IMPD. Municipal service, 911 response. Indy has a very reasonable cost of living. Plenty of opportunity for advancement and retirement.

http://www.indianapolisems.org

OP
OP
lukgiel

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Horrible advice. CA EMS is literally as bad as it gets. If you have no interest in fire departments stay as far away as possible from CA.
Good luck getting a pension retirement, those are fading quickly.
Third service systems, look at Texas, NC, SC, and Delaware.

By fading quickly, do you mean in ems or everywhere in general? I know in some pd's and fd's they raised it from 20 to 25

OP
OP
lukgiel

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Indianapolis EMS (IEMS). Under the city of Indianapolis Department of Public Safety, the IEMS is a sister agency to the IFD and the IMPD. Municipal service, 911 response. Indy has a very reasonable cost of living. Plenty of opportunity for advancement and retirement.

http://www.indianapolisems.org

Nyc has a very high cost of living, thats offset by our medics making the Most out of many places

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
But, making 70k in NYC certainly isn't a lot of money. The cost of living is so high, that's 40k everywhere else.

OP
OP
lukgiel

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
But, making 70k in NYC certainly isn't a lot of money. The cost of living is so high, that's 40k everywhere else.

A lot of medics live in either long island or NJ, and if your spouse also has a good job, it's not that hard to live comfortably, you won't be rich but will live comfortably

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
False. You're Robby Dispatch.

Not a for sure thing. But if I get it you're lucky you're not in this system cause you'd be central coverage all day! ;)

So we have two gods?

I always thought I was a god

I think that puts us up to three now :lol:

And that's the difference between God and Paramedics.....

God doesn't think he's a Paramedic. ;)

That one never fails to make me laugh. :rofl:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Not a for sure thing. But if I get it you're lucky you're not in this system cause you'd be central coverage all day! ;)
You'd be my favorite dispatcher, then! I volunteer for that crap! :D

terrible one

Always wandering
By fading quickly, do you mean in ems or everywhere in general? I know in some pd's and fd's they raised it from 20 to 25

In CA the current pension systems are unsustainable. Cities and Counties are always trying to reform them because they simply can't afford them. Pensions are on the decline, or being reformed in most other states as well.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You'd be my favorite dispatcher, then! I volunteer for that crap! :D

I do too until I get down a couple charts then I get pissy.

Nice part about dispatch if I end up in there while the shoulder heals? Wayyyyy less paperwork lol.

Definitely going back to night shift if I end up in the spatch I think. Best part is I'm not gonna be bottom of the list either...I'll be ahead of whoever I get hired with and then at least one if not two of the dispatchers that are in there already.

Last edited by a moderator: