EMS systems similar to FDNY

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Hi there all.

What kind of cities offer EMS jobs similar to FDNY? As in, it's city (no privates), maybe part of a FD, offers 20, 25 or 30 year pension retirement with a chance to move up as in Lt, capt, chief etc and have a civil exam or similar to get in?

I am exploring my options.

Thank you.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
If all you're interested in is city run EMS, come to southern California, can't throw a rock without hitting a dozen (or more) FDs that run their own ambulances. The rest all run the first in Paramedics, a private is merely their BLS transport.

OP
OP
lukgiel

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
If all you're interested in is city run EMS, come to southern California, can't throw a rock without hitting a dozen (or more) FDs that run their own ambulances. The rest all run the first in Paramedics, a private is merely their BLS transport.

thank you that is just what I was looking for and its warm at that so best of both worlds huh I have to see how everything works out With fdny but I will keep Southern California in mind how do you like working there and how do you get it is it first come first serve or civil exam

OP
OP
lukgiel

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Not for nothin', but I couldn't think of a worse place to work in EMS.

Please explain. Do you mean FDNY or a EMS system merged with a FD? Thanks

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Southern California, really not a great place for EMS. FDNY is not great place for EMS. Fire based EMS is certainly not great for EMS. :) All in all, it's a bunch of bad ideas, all wrapped up in one.

However, some people REALLY want to work in these places and/or want to be firemen ... So, good luck.

OP
OP
lukgiel

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Southern California, really not a great place for EMS. FDNY is not great place for EMS. Fire based EMS is certainly not great for EMS. :) All in all, it's a bunch of bad ideas, all wrapped up in one.

However, some people REALLY want to work in these places and/or want to be firemen ... So, good luck.

well I do not plan on being a firefighter maybe a rescue medic but the reason I like fire based SMS is because its city its not private and I have better money Than in the privates and you retire in 25 sure I can go to the hospital and get more moneybut have to work until I'm 65 to get social security . at a fire based EMS even with its bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: I can just do 25 years like at fdny and get out with full benefits and a steady pension I can't get that working for a hospital or a private. Salary isnt as important ad retirement is, having worked transport I see seniors deciding between medications and food on the table. In fdny you get 70000 as a medic plus ot, meal money etc, that isn't that bad.

why do you think private hospitals are better if that's what you meant

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
well I do not plan on being a firefighter maybe a rescue medic but the reason I like fire based SMS is because its city its not private and I have better money Than in the privates and you retire in 25 sure I can go to the hospital and get more moneybut have to work until I'm 65 to get social security . at a fire based EMS even with its bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: I can just do 25 years like at fdny and get out with full benefits and a steady pension I can't get that working for a hospital or a private. Salary isnt as important ad retirement is, having worked transport I see seniors deciding between medications and food on the table. In fdny you get 70000 as a medic plus ot, meal money etc, that isn't that bad.

why do you think private hospitals are better if that's what you meant

I think he meant single role government agency. As in ems only

OP
OP
lukgiel

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
Hi there all.

What kind of cities offer EMS jobs similar to FDNY? As in, it's city (no privates), maybe part of a FD, offers 20, 25 or 30 year pension retirement with a chance to move up as in Lt, capt, chief etc and have a civil exam or similar to get in?

I am exploring my options.

Thank you.
Virginia beach ems. Fire runs calls and may ride in when the situation presents itself. They only hire medics but there are plenty of neighboring counties that have paid rescue squad members. Vbems full time members ride in a supervisor car and respond upon request of ambulance crew/fire or when the call sounds als. Great system, great ppl to work with, huge budget, the downside that I saw during my two rideouts were that medics are assigned to a certain zone and nearly everyone else is vollie. I'm not a SME but can answer a few questions such as the VB area (places to rent,eat,etc) and the system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Also, there's Hall Ambulance in Kern County. Yes it's technically a private company, but the president is also mayor of Bakersfield and they cover something like 85-90% of the county (a service area bigger than some states) I've heard someone say before that Hall practically is the Kern County Third Service EMS Agency.

They have an outstanding reputation, and pride themselves on being a company whdre EMTs and Medics stick around for 10+ years. Idk their retirement benefits and whatnot, but I'd be surprised if they were subpar, everything else they do is superb from everything I've ever heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
lukgiel

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Virginia beach ems. Fire runs calls and may ride in when the situation presents itself. They only hire medics but there are plenty of neighboring counties that have paid rescue squad members. Vbems full time members ride in a supervisor car and respond upon request of ambulance crew/fire or when the call sounds als. Great system, great ppl to work with, huge budget, the downside that I saw during my two rideouts were that medics are assigned to a certain zone and nearly everyone else is vollie. I'm not a SME but can answer a few questions such as the VB area (places to rent,eat,etc) and the system.

Sounds great. So if medics ride in supervisors car, its the fire guys who respond in ambulances or only bls rides in ambulances?

OP
OP
lukgiel

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Also, there's Hall Ambulance in Kern County. Yes it's technically a private company, but the president is also mayor of Bakersfield and they cover something like 85-90% of the county (a service area bigger than some states) I've heard someone say before that Hall practically is the Kern County Third Service EMS Agency.

They have an outstanding reputation, and pride themselves on being a company whdre EMTs and Medics stick around for 10+ years. Idk their retirement benefits and whatnot, but I'd be surprised if they were subpar, everything else they do is superb from everything I've ever heard.

I just checked them out, they offer great benefits and they have nice ambulances. Only thing I don't like it is, they are technically private, and they offer 401k.
I only want to do 25, 30 years tops, get my pension and retire. I don't want to do ems until I'm 60, I'll be too old and that's too many years of lifting and a high stress job.

Thank though. Sucks its on the other side of the states. I work for a private now and a hospital per diem in NYC

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Phoenix Fire dept staffs rescues. Never looked into them as far as benefits and such, but most of the Phoenix guys are pretty good. A heeellll of a lot think they're God's gift to the Earth, also, though. Never heard one whine about Phoenix, though.

OP
OP
lukgiel

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Phoenix Fire dept staffs rescues. Never looked into them as far as benefits and such, but most of the Phoenix guys are pretty good. A heeellll of a lot think they're God's gift to the Earth, also, though. Never heard one whine about Phoenix, though.

Haha, doesn't every medic think he's God's gift to earth?
Thanks though

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Let's see... Wake County EMS, Durham County EMS (both NC), Austin/Travis County EMS, Williamson County EMS (both TX), New Orleans EMS, East Baton Rouge Parish EMS (Both LA), Denver Health Paramedics (CO), Richmond Ambulance Authority, MEDICS, etc... There is not shortage of third service agencies.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
OP
OP
lukgiel

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member