EMS and meal "breaks"

FutureParamedic609

Forum Crew Member
I've always wondered how meal breaks work...and of course I've seen in movies that as soon as the paramedic/firefighter goes to eat they get a call. And I guess that's true!

I'm kind of worried for that part though; I'm a hypoglycemic so my blood sugar drops quite low if I don't eat every three to four hours, which makes me weak and I wouldn't be able to do anything... Are you guys able to carry drinks (water, Orange Juice) in the trucks?

Emily

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
That's no good! I know some people carry snacks on the rig but not a lot of people do, probably a wise idea to do so. It never fails, the time you say eat or quiet or variations of those words, you're gonna get a call.

Wasn't a matter of no having snacks. We had been doing nothing but quick snacks for the 3 days that week. The ole body objected to it after a while.
Good thing I wasn't driving. Bad thing, I was the navigator! :unsure:

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
We're entitled to 1 paid 30 minute C (code) 7 during our 12 hour shifts. During this time we are placed out of service for the purpose of routine move ups (gotta love system status), and non emergent calls. However, if there is an emergent call and there is no other unit in our area, or levels drop drop significantly (level 3 or below, including us), the break can be interrupted. They're supposed to put us back on, restarting the clock. If we don't get a full uninterrupted 30 minutes, we get paid an additional hour. Rarely do we actually use this time to eat, it's usually dedicated to resting our eyes. This is usually because we took advantage of a lull in calls to eat.

There is no rule on when they have to give us this break. I've gotten it as soon as an hour out of station, and as late as an hour before I was due back (ended up getting held for a few hours on that one). As was mentioned earlier, I've learned to like cold food, and generally carry snacks. I'm another one that gets hypoglycemic if I don't eat something every few hours. Our dispatchers are good about trying to get us somewhere where we can get food, even if it's just a 7-11 if we inform them it's desperately needed.

Buzz

Forum Captain
We don't get to go "out of service" to get food, at least I've never heard anyone ask for it. Some people tend to bend the rules, and wait to go back into service after a call so they can get a quick meal in. Many of the hospitals around here have some sort of restaurant available, so that's usually an option.

I don't work a busy shift. We do almost never do scheduled transports, so I always think twice before ordering something that takes a long time to make--and always get it to go. I'll eat on the way if need be.

flhtci01

Forum Captain
Our system gives us a "paid meal period". We don't go out of service and we are subject to calls. So if we just sat down to eat and have a call, the meal period is rescheduled.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I also work for a very busy company. If we need a break,we make one for ourselves. While clear we can request a "step out" to grab food (because we dont have portables, one person needs to stay in the truck, unless we are on a stepout).

The other option is for us to make time to eat. We are expected to take ~20 minutes to pick up/drop off patients on transfers, and if we are able to get in/out efficiently, we grab some food before clearing. When at hospitals with good/cheap food, we have mastered the "nearly empty the glove box on back of stretcher makes great cupholder" trick.

The best bet, if you know you are working in a busy system is to pack snacks. Protein is good, as are fluids (according to access to a bathroom). The point of this is, if you dont have time, make time (in a transfer system).

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
We don't usually get meal breaks. We eat when we get a chance. Technically, if we get one of those days where we don't get a chance to stop for lunch, we are supposed to be allowed to call into the chief and request a half hour to eat. But some of the chiefs... Well, they don't take kindly to that.

I keep food in my bag on the truck, personally. Granola bars, Gatorades, bag of popcorn... Whatever. Heck, I even keep a an MRE in my bag, as in my experience luck favors the prepared. If you have it with you, chances are you probably won't need it.

Superstitious, yes, but it's worked out for the most part so far. I have only had to use it twice, when I was so hungry but the city was exploding with calls.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I also work for a very busy company. If we need a break,we make one for ourselves. While clear we can request a "step out" to grab food (because we dont have portables, one person needs to stay in the truck, unless we are on a stepout).

The other option is for us to make time to eat. We are expected to take ~20 minutes to pick up/drop off patients on transfers, and if we are able to get in/out efficiently, we grab some food before clearing. When at hospitals with good/cheap food, we have mastered the "nearly empty the glove box on back of stretcher makes great cupholder" trick.

The best bet, if you know you are working in a busy system is to pack snacks. Protein is good, as are fluids (according to access to a bathroom). The point of this is, if you dont have time, make time (in a transfer system).

Making time (or a quick drive through) is just fine. Snacks are just fine... and usually that is exactly what happens.The human body will eventually object to nutritional abuse if one does it long enough. My situation occurred at 22:00. We had already done 17 calls that day with no end in sight. Can't stop for priority 2 and obviously 1's. The non emergent priority 3 calls had eluded us all week it seemed. Full moon perhaps. :wacko:

JPINFV

Gadfly
We don't usually get meal breaks. We eat when we get a chance. Technically, if we get one of those days where we don't get a chance to stop for lunch, we are supposed to be allowed to call into the chief and request a half hour to eat. But some of the chiefs... Well, they don't take kindly to that.

Of course. If you're calling them anywhere between 5 minutes after the last unit goes online and more than 5 minutes before the first minute goes offline, then you're interrupting their lunch break.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I'm kind of worried for that part though; I'm a hypoglycemic so my blood sugar drops quite low if I don't eat every three to four hours, which makes me weak and I wouldn't be able to do anything... Are you guys able to carry drinks (water, Orange Juice) in the trucks?

Emily

Yes for us, as long as we don't make a mess and take everything off when the shift's over. Of course we can't eat when we have a patient, but we'll sometimes eat on the way to a call if it's been a very busy night. Stuff without crumbs is best.

I have a good number of coworkers who need to eat often. Never seen it cause a problem.

medic_texas

Forum Crew Member
Where is that article about the medic in Europe somewhere (England?) who refused to help someone because he was on "break"?

He got sued and reprimanded from what I remember.

If you're working 911, you are not scheduled a "meal break" because you have plenty of down time to eat. However, if a call comes in and you're the closest unit; you can always reheat your meal.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Where is that article about the medic in Europe somewhere (England?) who refused to help someone because he was on "break"?

If you're working 911, you are not scheduled a "meal break" because you have plenty of down time to eat. However, if a call comes in and you're the closest unit; you can always reheat your meal.

Plenty of down time? You trippin. Maybe out in rural redneck land, but definitely not out in the ghetto. In the winter, I had to leave my can of soup on the dash over the vents to keep it room temp. I've eaten many a can of chunky soup straight from the can. Calling in an order to a restaurant is a good strategy, so you can just scoop and run with your dinner.

In Corona Queens the chimchurri van had a great steak/moro combo. they were open from around 8 at night until 8 in the morning. Always good in a pinch.

Running numerous consecutive shifts without any breaks are one of the major contributing factors of burnout. Who wants to spend their whole career like that? It's good when you're new, but it gets old fast, particularly if the $$$ aren't there.

NEMed2

Forum Crew Member
Ahhh, 911. Entitled does not equate to finishing, or when we'll even see that meal does it?

On day 3 of a particularly high call volume week, my glucose dropped to 47 and I am not a diabetic! Had a rookie with me and not even dispatch could get me to a call just 2 miles down the road from our station. Finally arrived after 18 minutes. FD, very good friends of mine, noticed I wasn't my usual self and checked my glucose. Apparently, I, nor my rookie partner had the good sense to do so. :wacko:

For this reason, dispatchers need to make every reasonable effort to see to it that all crews have an opportunity to eat properly. I had attempted to get a half hour earlier in the evening. A supervisor promptly said, nope, need ya out there. Son of a gun actually had the nerve to write me up!

My BGL dropped when I was observing in an ED for my basic class. Thankfully, I knew what was happening & the tech I was shadowing took care of me.

We don't get meal breaks, bathroom breaks, etc. I got to know the guy that runs the 7-Eleven fairly well when I first started.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

Not if you're working in a System Status Management 911 system.

That system is designed, in theory, to have the right number of units on the streets according to demand. The other part of SSM is to ensure that you don't have too many units out on the streets not being used... so they track the unit hour utilization rate... They want to keep that as high as possible to minimize inefficiency...

Which as we all (should) know, results in about zero down-time for the crews which leads to burnt out, hungry people. After a couple years running in that kind of system... who wants to stay there? They quit and go elsewhere... or they leave the profession altogether...

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Not if you're working in a System Status Management 911 system.

That system is designed, in theory, to have the right number of units on the streets according to demand. The other part of SSM is to ensure that you don't have too many units out on the streets not being used... so they track the unit hour utilization rate... They want to keep that as high as possible to minimize inefficiency...

Which as we all (should) know, results in about zero down-time for the crews which leads to burnt out, hungry people. After a couple years running in that kind of system... who wants to stay there? They quit and go elsewhere... or they leave the profession altogether...

This profession does have the nasty habit of eating it's young. System Status Management is good for one thing, though. It suits the per diem EMS provider who wants a little action once in a while. If I was FT, I think that I would quickly grow tired of being moved to a different street corner at 0100, then 0200, then 0300, then again at 0400, etc. It kills any chance of sleep during the overnight. This is the way RAA does it, or so I've been told. It is efficient though, good for the agency (at the employee's expense).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
This profession does have the nasty habit of eating it's young. System Status Management is good for one thing, though. It suits the per diem EMS provider who wants a little action once in a while. If I was FT, I think that I would quickly grow tired of being moved to a different street corner at 0100, then 0200, then 0300, then again at 0400, etc. It kills any chance of sleep during the overnight. This is the way RAA does it, or so I've been told. It is efficient though, good for the agency (at the employee's expense).
and that's why SSM is evil and mean and nasty.

http://publicsafety.com/article/article.jsp?id=2030&siteSection=14

Thanks, Dr. Bledsoe!

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
It is efficient though, good for the agency (at the employee's expense).

That's just it, and as long as EMS providers are a dime a dozen and expendable, employers will continue to abuse the providers and keep the pay/benefits at the lowest level possible.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
That's just it, and as long as EMS providers are a dime a dozen and expendable, employers will continue to abuse the providers and keep the pay/benefits at the lowest level possible.

Hmm... Primary Care Paramedic (BLS) school in Ontario is 2 years and incredibly competitive to get into and complete. Advanced Care Paramedic (ALS) a further year.

We get paid very well and receive good benefits. No true SSM anywhere in the Province (Ottawa does atm, but is building more and more stations to move away from street corners). Meal breaks generally as I described earlier. (90% of province 3rd service, a few combined with FD but at the admin level only)

Could it be that education leads to improved working conditions?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
what may I ask is a meal break?

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Hmm... Primary Care Paramedic (BLS) school in Ontario is 2 years and incredibly competitive to get into and complete. Advanced Care Paramedic (ALS) a further year.

Not south of the border....

We get paid very well and receive good benefits. No true SSM anywhere in the Province (Ottawa does atm, but is building more and more stations to move away from street corners). Meal breaks generally as I described earlier. (90% of province 3rd service, a few combined with FD but at the admin level only)

Could it be that education leads to improved working conditions?

You're absolutely right...however prehospital care isn't viewed the same way here as it is there. There are a few threads on this site regarding American EMS education and what it's lacking.