Emergency meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaska1996

Forum Probie
I do a lot of remote camping with my father. He's a retired combat medic and i'm following his footsteps. I was thinking, if I had to resort to my training, i'd be in trouble. Is there a way for certified and licenced medics to obtain emergency meds. I'm mainly interested in atropine epi, and oxygen. Any help would be greatful.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
Since I can't suggest anything illegal, I'll give you the short answer.

Yes, but no.

Dwindlin

Forum Captain
Have to have an unrestricted medical license to carry prescription meds for terminal use in another person.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Yikes. Perhaps try a search function on the forum for additional information as this comes up quite often. For quick answers now though:

These medications require medical control direction and prescripting authority. If you're in the US, you can't just carry any of these around with you and administer them as you see fit. Also, if you're talking Epinephrine 1:1000 intended for use in treating anaphylaxis in the form of an Epi-Pen, that's one thing. If you mean IV formulations of Epi for cardiac arrest, the situation is far past your ability to manage it in an austere setting. Atropine seems like a bit of an odd choice as well. Are you preparing some kind of doomsday kit for nerve gas attack, or are you intending to use it to treat bradycardia? Even O2 is extremely heavy and cumbersome to pack in a wilderness bag and has limited utility far from civilization as it quickly runs out.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I would seek out a prescription from my primary care provider for an epipen for myself and others in the party. Also, a well-stocked first aid kit should contain a wide range of OTC meds that will be of way more use to you than code drugs. If it comes to CPR in a remote camping environment, you're in more trouble than atropine and epi can help with.

OP
OP
A

alaska1996

Forum Probie
I should have used RVing instead of camping.
Those were the only I could think of.
I am a bit of a prepper so yes for having on hand.
This is for family and personal friends(everyone else gets hands only.)
I have an ambulance in my rig so i'm not out of luck.
I should also mention I have a fully equipped life pack 12.(passed ACLS)

Last edited by a moderator:

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
If you need the drugs you listed way out in nowhere...well...the situation is dire to begin with and you still won't be able to do much of a follow through.

But, if this stuff still interests you, offshore and advanced marine medicine have some advantages and their classes are interesting. They teach you to use some common household things to make do in ways most would never consider. And, international waters have a different set of rules for medications. There are also some advanced wilderness courses to for those who are really serious like the hike a mountain for fun in freezing temps.

An interesting read.
http://www.theseaissalt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Offshore-Medicine.pdf

Follow up with the author and see if you can get anymore direction to what you might be looking for.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader

But what will a LP12 do for you if you're out in the middle of nowhere? If someone experiences a VT/VF arrest, an AED would be cheaper, more helpful, and have longer lasting batteries. Pacing someone? Batteries run out. Calling in a STEMI alert? Well, it's not going to speed up the time to get the patient out of where you are and to a Cath lab. I'm a touch confused about your statement of having an "ambulance in your rig" as well.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade here in the slightest. Wilderness medicine just has a completely different focus than what we generally train for, and the equipment you carry should reflect that variation.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

:blink:

Sooo.... If someone dies.... How far out are you from a hospital on these RVing trips....

Nevermind :unsure:

OP
OP
A

alaska1996

Forum Probie
I probably am going in the wrong direction. I'm going to be doing some research on wilderness first aid. Now my dad doesn't have direct experience, but they would sustain casualties for days while in transport. I need but at most 6 hours.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
This reeks of that zombie prepper website... Where the guy had the Stomp bag full of ALS meds. :/

Eh. I'll bow out of this mess.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I do a lot of remote camping with my father. He's a retired combat medic and i'm following his footsteps. I was thinking, if I had to resort to my training, i'd be in trouble. Is there a way for certified and licenced medics to obtain emergency meds. I'm mainly interested in atropine epi, and oxygen. Any help would be greatful.

With the exception of an epipen for an allergic reaction (which if any known allergy is present, than you would be able to get a prescription anyways), if you need oxygen, atropine, or epinephrine out in the boondocks, then you're pretty much screwed anyways. It's like that end of the world bag over at Zombie Squad. Yea, it's nice to be able to intubate in a post apocalyptic world, but there's really no point in the long run.

Edit: I'd like to take a minute to point out that I posted this before I read DEmedic's post.

OP
OP
A

alaska1996

Forum Probie
If i was prepping I would have said so. I'm trying to handle a code till airLIFE arrives, not open surgery (in a B.S apocalyptic scenario).

JPINFV

Gadfly
If i was prepping I would have said so. I'm trying to handle a code till airLIFE arrives, not open surgery (in a B.S apocalyptic scenario).

So... are you going to have a monitor or just push medications 'just because.'

Also, how quickly do you think your local HEMS unit is going to show up?

OP
OP
A

alaska1996

Forum Probie
Wow, checked out that bag. I got 2 similar but in od green. I am more than likely going to run into a traumatic injury than anything else. Anyone have any review on the KED. seems better than the stretcher I have.

OP
OP
A

alaska1996

Forum Probie
My life pack has a 12 lead EKG (ECG). If i'm in alaska more towards the 6 hr. Everywhere else 45min-an hour.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
My life pack has a 12 lead EKG (ECG). If i'm in alaska more towards the 6 hr. Everywhere else 45min-an hour.

So you plan on being able to work a code and provide chest compressions by yourself for anywhere from 45min to 6 hours?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

Good. That way you can completely rule out a heart attack when your dad complains of chest pain. Would hate to make an unnecessary trip to the ED. And if it is a heart attack, you can tell the ambulance to drive faster because you already have it confirmed for them.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Good. That way you can completely rule out a heart attack when your dad complains of chest pain. Would hate to make an unnecessary trip to the ED. And if it is a heart attack, you can tell the ambulance to drive faster because you already have it confirmed for them.

...and he dies from an NSTEMI. The end.

Status
Not open for further replies.