Emergency Lights & Sirens on POV?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Just to add fuel to the fire all our new ambulances we are getting have a toggle switch for the lights. Once on scene we're supposed to flip it backwards and it kills all the lights except the arrow stick and the amber lights on the back. Kinda how you see cops kill their forward facing emergency lights on traffic stops.
I put our new truck in park and it does that for me!

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
This thread may be almost as good as the Explorer -1 socal thread.

Entertainment value is very high.

Do you have the link to that? I remember it but couldn't find it!

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
At one point I was thinking about what I should do if I ever see a crash

...then I realized that "scene safety" isn't great on the freeway for a civilian, and it's generally not nice to give your local rescue company the accident victim plus EMT roadkill.

I usually pull off the road to a safe side street, park, then call 911. (Surprising number of accidents happen out here in California, it seems).

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I put our new truck in park and it does that for me!
I kill all my lights and throw on the 4 ways unless we're actively blocking a roadway.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm late to the party on this one...

After reading this thread, I think I am going to quit my job and move.

To add to that, I have worked for the city of new york for 6 years as an emt, paramedic and presently firefighter. I have never once stumbled upon trouble I wasn't looking for. If you want to use lights and sirens, get a job with one of the many 911 response EMS agencies.

Also hatzolath is a joke, and I am a member of the jewish faith (non observant)

kreil45

Forum Probie
If you feel the need to pull over and help and you are first on scene just get some of those lights you plug into your aux plug. The ones that constuction people use, the yellow ones. Its just adds a little extra to your flashers. I will stop to help on fender benders and check to see if they even want EMS. That way if they dont want them i can call dispatch to cancel EMS. Then they can go to a real emergency. If it is a emergency just stablize the pt with your scope and and wait for EMS.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I have to say, we have had a similar option for years on our trucks. we have a primary and secondary mode for our lights: primary is all the light on, and when you shift into park, it switches to secondary (which is all rotators off, all strobes off, and just the box lights and the non-rotators in our rear light bar on)...

Rotators. Lol.

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
LxOtM1T.jpg

Honeybadger

Forum Crew Member
I pull over and help people or their disabled vehicles all the goddamn time. I keep a jump bag in the back of my truck with a few basic tools like a bvm, penlight, c collar, a few trauma pads, ice packs, pole type traction splint, bandaids, a few blister packs of aspirin and ibuprofen, alcohol preps, kerlex and triangle bandages. Got them for free with the ferno jump bag from my old ambulance company when they went under, and I use the first aid stuff from time to time (have helped clean up more than one downed motorcyclist in the boonies while we wait for an AMB and I do use that bag at home when I do something stupid in the garage). I also keep a box of flares that I just toss one down when I'm helping a car at night and I have my AMR high vis moron vest.

More than first aid, I help disabled vehicles, since I am a mechanic too, as my land rover has two ten ton tow straps, 2 gallons of gas and water, a low lift Jack, high lift jack and shovel/axe, chains, full tool set, electric tire pump, 8 ton come along, tire iron, etc. I pull people out of ditches, I've pulled disabled vehicles out of traffic, topped off people's leaky radiators, whole nine yards. Beyond an occasional flare for a blind corner and my high vis vest, I don't need anything more than my hazards. I am getting four led spotlights put on the front and one on thr rear, but those are for off road purposes.

Believe it or not, you DO get flagged down sometimes if there's an emergency. Not because you're an emt/medic, but because you are another human being and the other person needs help. I've done it myself when I was a moron and let my battery die, had to use a flare to flag down a car for a jumpstart.

My miata has basically nothing on it beyond jumper cables, flares, and a small tool set for if that 200,000 mile little thing ever actually breaks down (never has)

Honeybadger

Forum Crew Member
I'm not some doomsday prepper, and my stuff on my truck is mostly for off road use (where it does get used heavily) But I know how to use my tools and why shouldn't I help out somone with a broken down car or a kid who hit a patch of gravel and dropped his bike?

It all fits into one big plastic bin anyways apart from the high lift, axe, shovel, and water/gas cans which mount to my roof rack.

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
I pull over and help people or their disabled vehicles all the goddamn time. I keep a jump bag in the back of my truck with a few basic tools like a bvm, penlight, c collar, a few trauma pads, ice packs, pole type traction splint, bandaids, a few blister packs of aspirin and ibuprofen, alcohol preps, kerlex and triangle bandages. Got them for free with the ferno jump bag from my old ambulance company when they went under, and I use the first aid stuff from time to time (have helped clean up more than one downed motorcyclist in the boonies while we wait for an AMB and I do use that bag at home when I do something stupid in the garage). I also keep a box of flares that I just toss one down when I'm helping a car at night and I have my AMR high vis moron vest.

More than first aid, I help disabled vehicles, since I am a mechanic too, as my land rover has two ten ton tow straps, 2 gallons of gas and water, a low lift Jack, high lift jack and shovel/axe, chains, full tool set, electric tire pump, 8 ton come along, tire iron, etc. I pull people out of ditches, I've pulled disabled vehicles out of traffic, topped off people's leaky radiators, whole nine yards. Beyond an occasional flare for a blind corner and my high vis vest, I don't need anything more than my hazards. I am getting four led spotlights put on the front and one on thr rear, but those are for off road purposes.

Believe it or not, you DO get flagged down sometimes if there's an emergency. Not because you're an emt/medic, but because you are another human being and the other person needs help. I've done it myself when I was a moron and let my battery die, had to use a flare to flag down a car for a jumpstart.

My miata has basically nothing on it beyond jumper cables, flares, and a small tool set for if that 200,000 mile little thing ever actually breaks down (never has)

I read "tool set" as "toilet seat" and was laughing very hard.

Honeybadger

Forum Crew Member
It's not expensive to have an emergency kit. I got it from my mother, a thoroughly practical engineer. She always has had a small 4wd suv with a milk crate or two of tools and supplies in the back. Acdelco makes a nice hilift jack for $50 and a huge heavy duty comealong is all of $30. Most of the medical supplies can just be pilfered from your rig on occasion (cheap things, no stealing AEDs) I will admit that I occasionally steal bandaids and half empty boxes of gloves for personal use >.>

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

Outside of the medications, I don't see a huge issue with him carrying what he is simply because it sounds like he uses it mostly for himself and rural areas where it may take 30-60 mins for a first response unit to even show up. This is vastly different than NYC though.