Duty allowed weapons

badmofo

Forum Ride Along
I am not sure if many of you have seen but two of our EMT's in Detroit were brutally attacked by a maniac with a box cutter. Both suffered severe injuries and are going to require extensive time off to heal.
Here in Detroit we are forbidden from carrying any kind of weapon. The city even goes as far as banning toe nail clippers and tweezers. Even though many of our people do carry weapons on duty we are not authorized to do so.
I am just wondering if any larger departments allow their techs to arm themselves. What kind of weapons are you allowed to carry? Does your department reimburse you or provide them for you?
Just wondering because we are pushing hard for the ability to protect ourselves. Thanks

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The only EMS folks that I know that are authorized to carry weapons on-duty, with the blessing of their employer, are the ones where EMS is done by Law Enforcement and not Fire. TEMS units are going to be different... but even then they won't be armed on-duty unless they're on a SWAT/LE call, though they may have some weaponry available but secured in the ambulance.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
What sort of weapons are you folks carrying?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Other than a few sworn Fire Marshalls carrying on duty (required to) and the exceptions akulahawk mentioned, I only know of one place that the medics carry on duty, and that's on the Mexican border in Presidio, TX. OTher than that, our medics carry the usual assortment of folding knives, multi-tools, and shears. That's it.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
We're allowed to carry a folding knife with a blade up to 4" long. We also have a Haligan in one of the side compartments, but I don't see that being of much use.

heavenjoans7

Forum Crew Member
If you are not allowed, you should take some krav maga or martial art :) I don't know if Los Angeles allows or if it is up to the company. One of the emt's that I did my ride along with said he carried a knife in his pocket just in case.

Cinemod

Forum Ride Along
If you are not allowed, you should take some krav maga or martial art :) I don't know if Los Angeles allows or if it is up to the company. One of the emt's that I did my ride along with said he carried a knife in his pocket just in case.
I think everyone should learn some basic self defense. A knife is only effective if you know how to use it properly.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
While working as a seasonal firefighter last year the only fire personnel that were allowed to carry weapons (as in handguns and long guns) were fire prevention (arson investigators). They had to do a "police" academy in order to carry a gun and enforce laws in CA.

Where I work now no one is allowed to carry a weapon. One could argue the leatherman I carry on duty is a weapon. In all reality its a tool and if someone attempted to attack me on scene I have a fairly heavy monitor and jump bag I could throw at them while I make a hasty retreat.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
I would have no issue with a coworker carrying concealed, granted they are doing it legally and have a ccw permit. However, open carrying in ems would be an absolute disaster waiting to happen.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I wouldn't have a problem with concealed carry.

I personally carry a knife. I've also taken self defense and and basic knife technique class

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I have a small knife with a seatbelt cutter and window punch spike on it. It's more "tool" to me than "weapon" though.

What's the best way to miss a punch? Not be there in the first place! We're pretty gung-ho on 'scene safety' and if the scene isn't secure, we don't go there. I know "shtuff happens", but we try to avoid those kids of situations to begin with if at all possible.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Weapons? Oh I'm all about carrying weapons on duty. In fact you could say I'm the head guru for all things weapon related in EMS; me and my department that is. I mean, we've got it down!

Every EMT here gets dressed in solid black nomex, and the pants have kevlar built into the knees and thighs (gotta get that stab protection don'tcha know) with tacticool combat boots. Fingerless shooting gloves and a highspeed combat helmet with attachment points for nightvision goggles and a Level 4 ballistic vest with super cool chest harness completes the uniform. Paramedics get this sweeeeeeet black and grey camo pattern on theirs...because we're the real stealth ninjas.

Everyone get's their own personal sidearm, a nice 1911A1 TRP with picatinny rail for a laser sight AND flashlight, just like the big boys carry. Throw in a M-4 with full a SOPMOD conversion and we are so good to go it's not even funny. And I haven't even touched on the big weapons we bust out for the dangerous calls...let's just say there's a boom involved. ;)

Of course with all these highspeed weapons for protection you just know we got some real highspeed tactics too! I mean, granny over there with the chest pain could whip out a .44 at any second; so my partner always takes up on overwatch position while I kick the door in and toss a couple flashbangs in the room before I start my exam. Then he gets into a covered position where he can light up anyone who might walk in without permission. All about safety down here you know.

All this talk about carrying knives...pffft...a knife ain't a weapon! Get with the program people! We should be better equipped that any SWAT team out there! What? You think just because they get trained for different things that makes them better than us? Oh hell no! We're EMS! We should always be the coolest kids on the block with the biggest and best toys and who cares if we need them or never learned how to use them! All about looking cool and feeling cooler!

I can't believe that this thread was actually created...let along got serious responses.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a multitool and a pocket knife, though that's mostly out of habit from my Army days, though just like the Army my pocket knife mostly lives life opening supply boxes, though one time the truck captain used my pocket knife to pick open a locked front door to get to the patient :D Otherwise we have strength in numbers, with either an engine or a truck company on every call with us, our firefighters are pretty good about saying "hey this guy is kinda squirrely, why don't we ride in with you just in case?"

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Trinidad CO Ambulance District has weapons lockers on their ambulances so they can participate in active shooter response. I think it's silly, to each their own I suppose.

I don't want guns on my ambulance, period. A gun is not something that should be used in a confined space.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
Weapons? Oh I'm all about carrying weapons on duty. In fact you could say I'm the head guru for all things weapon related in EMS; me and my department that is. I mean, we've got it down!

Every EMT here gets dressed in solid black nomex, and the pants have kevlar built into the knees and thighs (gotta get that stab protection don'tcha know) with tacticool combat boots. Fingerless shooting gloves and a highspeed combat helmet with attachment points for nightvision goggles and a Level 4 ballistic vest with super cool chest harness completes the uniform. Paramedics get this sweeeeeeet black and grey camo pattern on theirs...because we're the real stealth ninjas.

Everyone get's their own personal sidearm, a nice 1911A1 TRP with picatinny rail for a laser sight AND flashlight, just like the big boys carry. Throw in a M-4 with full a SOPMOD conversion and we are so good to go it's not even funny. And I haven't even touched on the big weapons we bust out for the dangerous calls...let's just say there's a boom involved. ;)

Of course with all these highspeed weapons for protection you just know we got some real highspeed tactics too! I mean, granny over there with the chest pain could whip out a .44 at any second; so my partner always takes up on overwatch position while I kick the door in and toss a couple flashbangs in the room before I start my exam. Then he gets into a covered position where he can light up anyone who might walk in without permission. All about safety down here you know.

All this talk about carrying knives...pffft...a knife ain't a weapon! Get with the program people! We should be better equipped that any SWAT team out there! What? You think just because they get trained for different things that makes them better than us? Oh hell no! We're EMS! We should always be the coolest kids on the block with the biggest and best toys and who cares if we need them or never learned how to use them! All about looking cool and feeling cooler!

I can't believe that this thread was actually created...let along got serious responses.

I just want to say that I would give anything to be a part timer at this fantasy op. Seems like a great way to deal with frequent fliers and fight burnout.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Lol... That's funny.
Although, I'd like to flashbang some of the trolls sleeping next to the road responsible for the good samaritan "man down" calls.

Also, no one here is even remotely qualified to be using a pocket knife for anything other than ... nope.. not even cutting a seat belt.

Seriously, in a knife fight, you're going to get cut. And if for any reason you bring your knife to a gun fight, well, Darwinism will sort you out.

Don't play the tough guy, movie action hero with your pocket knife... Please.

Remove yourself from the situation. Don't let anything get between you and the exit. Keep alert and trust your gut. These are your best weapons.

I saw some shenanigan going around BookFace with some EMS taser with a star of life on it... uh..... facepalm!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I carry one of these...

image.jpg

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Pew pew pew!

twistedMP

Forum Crew Member
Multitool tool on my belt and a pocket knife clipped on my pocket. Plus the big red fire extinguisher mounted next to my driver seat