Dumbest thing heard on the radio

imadriver

Forum Crew Member
Ran a Cardiac Arrest right down the road from the hospital. Hopped up front to after we loaded, called in a radio report for my medic.

Me to hospital: "ER, coming Emergency to you with an aprox. 75yo Female, Witness Cardiac Arrest 15 minutes prior to now, Good IV 16g left arm, Medic is working on intubation. One round of drugs in, second going in now. Only about 2 to 3 minutes out. Need anything else?" (Figured I had covered everything)

ER Nurse on Radio: "Copy all, What is patients Mental Status?"
-Long Pause-
Me: "Well her heart isn't beating, sooo patient is unresponsive"

ER Nurse on Radio: "Copy Cardiac Arrest... You have a set of vitals?"
Me: "... Negative. We were going to let you get them when we got there, Clear from Traffic, out"

I got in trouble for that too... Apparently she was new... ... ...

Last edited by a moderator:

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Lol apparently someone isn't too familiar with pre-hospital care. You would think intubation = uncoscious, no? Or painful with no gag reflex, but what are the odds of that?

Also you can't get many vitals when the heart isn't working...

Leafmealone

Forum Probie
Also you can't get many vitals when the heart isn't working...

Bull! If your doing going full code, the patient's vitals are something along the lines of Pulse-100, Respirations-12, With a Systolic bp of about 50.

imadriver

Forum Crew Member
Bull! If your doing going full code, the patient's vitals are something along the lines of Pulse-100, Respirations-12, With a Systolic bp of about 50.

Haha, I should've said that. She caught me off guard and I was dumbfounded for a minute or two.

And, yes, I figured she would get the unconscious part from that whole "Cardiac Arrest" and "Intubation" thing.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
Haha, I should've said that. She caught me off guard and I was dumbfounded for a minute or two.

And, yes, I figured she would get the unconscious part from that whole "Cardiac Arrest" and "Intubation" thing.

I would have asked her to repeat two or three times ;)

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief

Does your EMS system usually transport working codes? The nurses in my county would probably assume ROSC with any patient we called in as a cardiac arrest, just because we always stay and play.

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
"ECC to Engine 9"
"Engine 9"
"RP states that she is 'Sitting next to the......[giggles]......RP...[giggles]......Rp states she is next to the mechanical......the mechanical horse [background laughter] that is painted pink and goes "Neigh Neigh"'.
"Engine 9 copy. RP is next to the mechanical horse that goes neigh neigh?"
"That's affirmative"

"Engine 9 to ECC"
"ECC"
"Updated location for ambulance - patient is currently at the mechanical kangaroo"
"EC.....ECC copy"

imadriver

Forum Crew Member
Does your EMS system usually transport working codes? The nurses in my county would probably assume ROSC with any patient we called in as a cardiac arrest, just because we always stay and play.

That's unusual? haha, yes, we ran all codes unless it's an obvious death, every once in awhile we will get a working code, and call it on scene. But that's usually only because a firefighter started CPR on someone that was DRT, and we have to call Med Control for orders to stop. But yes, we usually play a little on scene (less than five, tops about ten minutes) and then grab and go.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
You stay on scene and work codes?! How far isclosest hospital?

Pretty much any cardiac arrest with ALS on scene gets worked and pronounced there. Based on the crew's judgment they may decide to transport without a ROSC but this is extremely infrequent.

Until recently in my area PCP crews (BLS) could not TOR medical arrests. This was a policy decision made largely due to the high percentage of ACP crews in our system. Now with directives being standardized across the province we'll also be pronouncing on scene where we have an adult pt, suspected cardiac cause for arrest without a shockable rhythm throughout the arrest and no ROSC. (following the third round)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You stay on scene and work codes?! How far isclosest hospital?

The only codes we transport without ROSC are pediatrics if they have a viable rhythm U/A or cold water drownings. Other than that 99% are worked and called on scene unless we have an extenuating circumstance (read crazy emotional family, even then we usually move to the rig then call OMD for termination orders) What can the hospital do in a cardiac arrest situation that we can't? Our transport times to an ER including a Level II are 10 minutes or less even without RLS unless we are in an outlying valley then your looking at ~15 mins maybe 20 tops.

No point to endanger yourself, your partner, the FF riding with you and other citizens on the road by transporting a dead body RLS.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Great discussion, but let's take it to another and let this topic get back on track.

Thanks!

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Crew: 60, we're on arrival.
Dispatch: 116, would that be on arrival at (hospital they picked up from) or (SNF they were going to)?
Crew: 60, six-zero, that would be (SNF).
Dispatch: Thank you, 13, I have you on arrival.
Crew: *keys mike, pauses, doesn't reply*

para344

Forum Ride Along
Student: 3WX, slow 495 to a 2 (Code 1: Acute/urgent response with lights & sirens Code 2: Urgent/non-acute response, no lights/sirens)

Dispatcher (3WX): *silence*

Air495: Ummm, we're a helicopter. We only have one speed, but I'll turn my lights and sirens off!

Student: :blush: (so I'm told)

true story...

Sodapop

Forum Crew Member
Many years ago when ten codes were the
norm.....

Unit: als 7 is 10-98, 10-8, 10-51 to da crib.
Dispatch: 10-4, 0231hours.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Ran a Cardiac Arrest right down the road from the hospital. Hopped up front to after we loaded, called in a radio report for my medic.

Me to hospital: "ER, coming Emergency to you with an aprox. 75yo Female, Witness Cardiac Arrest 15 minutes prior to now, Good IV 16g left arm, Medic is working on intubation. One round of drugs in, second going in now. Only about 2 to 3 minutes out. Need anything else?" (Figured I had covered everything)

ER Nurse on Radio: "Copy all, What is patients Mental Status?"
-Long Pause-
Me: "Well her heart isn't beating, sooo patient is unresponsive"

ER Nurse on Radio: "Copy Cardiac Arrest... You have a set of vitals?"
Me: "... Negative. We were going to let you get them when we got there, Clear from Traffic, out"

I got in trouble for that too... Apparently she was new... ... ...

There is something similar to this that I just found on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNxP0VV7MA0

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Working Nights at private service: Dispatcher sent us to local ED to return pt to ECF (1 block away from each other).

When we got to ED I marked on scene and gave them mileage

Control asked us who we were; I ignored her and we went inside

Few minutes later marking transporting; again asked who we were.

25 seconds later marked at destination with mileage, asked again who we were. Ignored her again

about 10 minutes later we marked in service. She got irate on the radio demanding to know who we were.
I told her " control you only have 1 truck in service on nights, figure it out yourself" few minutes later she asked for our times and mileages because she wasn't entering them into the computer due to not knowing which of the ONE truck to enter it under.

one of the few times I didn't get in trouble for my radio traffic. Even though she wrote me up; (she got 8 hrs unpaid time off for that though).

bw2529

Forum Crew Member
Working Nights at private service: Dispatcher sent us to local ED to return pt to ECF (1 block away from each other).

When we got to ED I marked on scene and gave them mileage

Control asked us who we were; I ignored her and we went inside

Few minutes later marking transporting; again asked who we were.

25 seconds later marked at destination with mileage, asked again who we were. Ignored her again

about 10 minutes later we marked in service. She got irate on the radio demanding to know who we were.
I told her " control you only have 1 truck in service on nights, figure it out yourself" few minutes later she asked for our times and mileages because she wasn't entering them into the computer due to not knowing which of the ONE truck to enter it under.

one of the few times I didn't get in trouble for my radio traffic. Even though she wrote me up; (she got 8 hrs unpaid time off for that though).

I'll grant you that she is likely an idiot, but I still would have just given my unit number.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I'll grant you that she is likely an idiot, but I still would have just given my unit number.

^+1. Be nice to dispatchers, they can make your life hell.