Dumbest Questions People Ask You

JW5974

Forum Ride Along
meh, in my mind, if I'm using the collar, I'm probably using the backboard- I just can't plausibly see a situation where c-spine is appropriate where we'd KNOW for the fact (without XR) that suspected trauma is confined above the T and L vertebra - and these things have an interesting way of NOT being symptomatic in the slightest at times.
Do they keep patients on backboards at the hospital? Even before radiology results? It's time we re-evaluate our practices. Not to mention multiple studies have proven that backboards do more harm than good.

Chris EMT J

Forum Lieutenant
The dumbest but cutest and innocent question I have had was a like elementary school boy refused to talk to his parents and he wanted to go to the hospital. So we come on down and he asked he with the most serious face am I pregnant? I couldn't help but smiley and tried so hard not to laugh. I ask why and he said his tummy hurts. I worked him up normal history and exam +vitals good. He seemed fine but that was so funny! Lol

IsraelEMS

Forum Crew Member
Yesterday I had a pt who asked me repeatedly if he was conscious.
Am I conscious?
Yes
Are you sure?
I am very sure.
Am I going to loose consciousness?
Unfortunately, no.
Well, how will I know if I loose consciousness?
Don't worry, If you suddenly loose consciousness I'll let you know.
Promise?
I promise. I'll let you know, I'll let the driver know. I'll even let the ER know.
oh, ok. Thanks.

ChristopherM

Forum Crew Member
Not a question but a patient on a long trip who kept google maps open and repeatedly remarked how much further we still had to go. Like in real time ...

IsraelEMS

Forum Crew Member
As an instructor I have been asked some odd thing including "can you use the defibrillator on me so I know how it feels?" And "Wouldn't it be better if we did cpr with our foot?"

ChristopherM

Forum Crew Member
As an instructor I have been asked some odd thing including "can you use the defibrillator on me so I know how it feels?" And "Wouldn't it be better if we did cpr with our foot?"
The only answer to the second question is yes. Foot only CPR

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
The only answer to the second question is yes. Foot only CPR
When I worked in a jail, we often joked that was how we'd perform CPR on an inmate. Thankfully the issue never came up in real life.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Not a question but a patient on a long trip who kept google maps open and repeatedly remarked how much further we still had to go. Like in real time ...
I had that a couple of weeks ago: including I could have gotten there faster if my wife drove me. Which I replied "I told you that at your house".

IsraelEMS

Forum Crew Member
Ok, I have another one. I was teaching a group of American teens who are here for the year and we got to trauma. I mentioned the thorasic cavity a student got offended!! I explained that cavity was refering to hollow spaces. The student jumped up and said "I'm not hollow inside! Maybe you are, but I am not!" Ummm......but you are. That's how your lungs work and your hear beats and...... "No, I'm not!" Ok, well, you are just not going to pass the course.