Drop out rate for EMT classes?

some1ne

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone know the average class size?, and what the drop out rate usually is? I am assuming many people who sign up for the course end up dropping out before the end?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It depends on the kind of program(hospital, fire, college) and the quality of the instructors/program. The EMT course (or medic for that matter) is not really that hard of a course if you understand A&P. Micro, chemistry and pathophysiology for medic. Like someone said before it is 8th grade level stuff (sciences included).

some courses are money grabs and will take as many as they can and pass you. some teach what you might see on the nr exam and not prepare you for what the job actually is. doing some research would be a good idea.

OP
OP
S

some1ne

Forum Crew Member
Hospital program.

In addition to the traditional lecture component, there is a mandatory “ride-along” observation time on an ambulance and in the Hospital Emergency Department.

The program costs $750 per person, and additional $125 if you want the books included. The duration is approximately 190 hours spread out over 2-4 months.

I was actually in a College one a loooong time ago when I was much younger but I quit because I just didn't like the whole setting... it felt very informal and cold with maybe 30 people sitting in a huge College lecture hall..

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
A lot of it depends on the program itself and the area that the program serves. My college EMT drop out rate is 50%-60%.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
wow that's a lot

My class of 25, 8 graduated. But everyone who graduated passed the state exam, two the national. Hoping to make it 3 soon. But that's for everything from emt to medics. Emt we graduated 12 so about 50%

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
In my uni EMT class 20 started and 12 remain as we approach finals. Our teachers are a combination of masters level nurse educators and fire/paramedics for skills training and tests. Tests themselves are run a little bit hotter than the NREMT they are training us for, everyone in the remaining class is maintaining a 90%+ on these.

Of the 8 that left: one would not be 18 before NREMT and deferred his class, one was fire just looking to advance his career, two or three realized that blood and guts wasn't their thing, the rest split between personal reasons and failing out on the paper tests or psychomotor.

The pattern I build from this is that two things ensure success: 1) have an abiding love of biology and 2) always wonder why. Of those that drop out only a portion are for academic reasons, as for the rest there's no denying that EMT isn't a job for everyone and it's a very personal decision.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My medic class started with 13 enrolled. 2 never showed, 1 walked in on day one took one look at our entrance medication exam turned it back in and walked out, another failed out during cardiology (he decided to use the AED mode on the MRx during scenarios cause he couldn't read strips for :censored::censored::censored::censored:), the remaining 9 graduated and are all gainfully employed as Paramedics.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I think its a good sign that your school is a hospital run program. Very few EMS schools are these days.

I think hospital programs are the best at teaching the content and preparing students for the real world. Programs that tend to be run by Fire personnel tend to do the worst in my opinion, both in getting people to pass the course, and getting them to pass the NREMT, while community colleges are a mixed bag.

Having lots of students in your class fail isnt a badge of honor, its probably a sign you had a crappy program and/or had a class atmosphere that wasnt big on cooperation and teamwork, which will then have to be learned on the job.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Do you plan on dropping out? If not then no need to know statistics as it will just raise your anxiety.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
We started out close to 50 students, and finished around 23.

Put in the work, and you'll be fine.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
Sounds like you went to Crafton haha

Believe it or not it was a Los Angeles County school.

I've heard some stories about Craftons medic program, but nothing on the EMT program. If I knew then what I know now about how EMS really varies in the schools out here in SoCal I would have picked somewhere else to take my EMT.

ATFDFF

Forum Crew Member
Did EMT through a vocational program in HS....started with 45, graduated 3. (yes, three). It was actually pretty nice, most dropped out within the first week or two, so there was a TON of individual instruction for those of us who cared. I really credit that for making me a good EMT and starting my career out right.

For paramedic, I did a hospital based program....started with 29 graduated 25.

Anjel

Forum Angel
We started with 28. 12 passed. And all are employed now as a basic or medic.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
We started with 28. 12 passed. And all are employed now as a basic or medic.

Good grief! Are most classes really this high on attrition?

My basic class started with 15 and graduated 13. My intermediate class started with 20 and graduated 18 (17 passed registry). And my medic class started with 12 and graduated 12 AND had 12 pass registry.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
As I just said in another thread, the EMT class I took says they lose around 10 people each semester. That's out of around 27ish. We started with about that number, give or take one, and ended with around 17 or 18.

I did not agree with the exams that the instructors wrote at times, but it was a quality program, and their pass rate for the NREMT is almost 100%.

Some people put in very little effort and swung a B or C in the class, others were unable to get past the first 2 exams and failed out.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, these are crazy-high attrition rates! My EMT course had about 20 people and I believe that all of the students took and passed Registry. It's not like it's particularly hard to complete an EMT course and pass Registry -- it's designed for, what, an 8th grade level of education?

JDub

Forum Lieutenant
My college EMT class started with 14 people. 2 dropped the course in the first week for whatever reasons. Of the 12 that completed the course, only 6 met the required 80 overall average to be allowed to graduate. 5 took and passed the national registry. 4 of those now currently work in EMS.