Drop out rate for EMT classes?

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, these are crazy-high attrition rates! My EMT course had about 20 people and I believe that all of the students took and passed Registry. It's not like it's particularly hard to complete an EMT course and pass Registry -- it's designed for, what, an 8th grade level of education?

How were your exams?

Ours were written by two very experienced paramedics. 100 questions, 5 exams. All were somewhat like the national in having numerous answers that could have been right.

I wouldn't match it to a grade level, it was more of a judgement and decision making format. I know a couple of people that only studied the night before and pulled a b or c.

That said, I feel the quality of education we received far surpassed that of other programs. We probably went far more in depth than others do in areas of patho/bio, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
How were your exams?

Ours were written by two very experienced paramedics. 100 questions, 5 exams. All were somewhat like the national in having numerous answers that could have been right.

I wouldn't match it to a grade level, it was more of a judgement and decision making format. I know a couple of people that only studied the night before and pulled a b or c.

That said, I feel the quality of education we received far surpassed that of other programs. We probably went far more in depth than others do in areas of patho/bio, etc.

Insane exams. Written by two flight medics, a flight nurse, a SDO/EMS Training Chief and a really experienced ground medic.

10 exams of 150 questions. At least 10 of 100. A few of less than 50 questions. And then single sheet drug tests on 20 drugs.

But under those instructors, my school has the highest certification rate in Texas and one of the highest in the US. These guys are amazing. I think they all need to go to Med School.....

Now, granted. Not everyone passed or graduated with a 100%. Some still barely squeeze in. But the instructors will study with you and coach you till they KNOW you understand it. Then the test is administered. Guys still fail individual tests, but overall, virtually everyone passes the class and the Nat. Reg.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Insane exams. Written by two flight medics, a flight nurse, a SDO/EMS Training Chief and a really experienced ground medic.

10 exams of 150 questions. A few of less than 50 questions. And then single sheet drug tests on 20 drugs.

But under those instructors, my school has the highest certification rate in Texas and one of the highest in the US. These guys are amazing. I think they all need to go to Med School.....

Now, granted. Not everyone passed or graduated with a 100%. Some still barely squeeze in. But the instructors will study with you and coach you till they KNOW you understand it. Then the test is administered. Guys still fail individual tests, but overall, virtually everyone passes the class and the Nat. Reg.

Sounds more like a medic school than an EMT school.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Started with 22 students, 22 passed. A few struggled mightily but still made it through. Everyone who took the registry (not many, 10 at most) passed.

It's a college based program only for college students, so I think that helps. Usually one to two fail per class, with the size ranging from 12 to a max of 25.

OP
OP
S

some1ne

Forum Crew Member
I think the classes that have high drop out rates are probably the ones that have many younger people in them in their teens

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I think the classes that have high drop out rates are probably the ones that have many younger people in them in their teens

How did you come up with that?

My class was ages 18-22, no dropouts. That's just for me of course and not necessarily indicative of a greater trend, but you still best be careful with those sorts of blanket statements.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
How did you come up with that?

My class was ages 18-22, no dropouts. That's just for me of course and not necessarily indicative of a greater trend, but you still best be careful with those sorts of blanket statements.

In the programs I have taught at, by far the largest demographic of paramedic students (I only teach paramedics) that fail are the ones with "experience" as EMTs.

The longer they are EMTs also corellates to the likelyhood they will fail.

That is why I so vehemently oppose people "gaining experience" as an EMT prior to medic school.

leoemt

Forum Captain
My class was 25 students. 1 dropped out, 3 failed, 18 passed the NREMT the 1st time through and 2 passed it the second time. 1 has yet to retake it.

taco bell aftermath

Forum Ride Along

That is why I so vehemently oppose people "gaining experience" as an EMT prior to medic school.

Sorry for the thread necro but why is this so? Does "gaining experience" translate into learning bad habits that are hard to undo once in paramedic school?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
In the programs I have taught at, by far the largest demographic of paramedic students (I only teach paramedics) that fail are the ones with "experience" as EMTs.

Sorry for the thread necro but why is this so? Does "gaining experience" translate into learning bad habits that are hard to undo once in paramedic school?

Follow on question, what kind of system(s) do these EMTs come from? I.e One where EMTs only work non emergent IFTs? A fire based system where they watch from the sidelines until it comes time to transport? Or a system with B/P 911 response?

I personally feel like an EMT whose experience is 6 months of dialysis runs in LA Co is going to be different than an EMT who worked directly with a medic partner on the ambulance responding to all types of calls.