Does a mental illness w/ in-patient hospitalization in the past disqualify you for EMS work?

jonnycroft4242

Forum Ride Along
Hey, my name is Jon and I have wanted a career in EMS as a paramedic for a long time now. Last night I heard something that concerned me and that's that having a mental illness and being hospitalized for it can disqualify you for any emergency response work. If true, are there any ways to work on this such as a note from my doctor, open communication between my superiors and my doctor, legal representation? I would really hate for this to keep me from doing something I feel I would excel at and really make a difference. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
It shouldn't, but that can be location dependent.

Summit

Critical Crazy
It is possible in some states you might have to disclose to the state board when applying, but I am not aware of any state where it is a blanket disqualifying criteria. Certainly you do not have to disclose to private employers.

Obviously you should consider whether your condition is compatible with the line of work you are considering and discuss it with your mental health provider.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
"Does a mental illness w/ in-patient hospitalization in the past QUALIFY you for EMS work?"

I fixed the title of your thread....and my reply is....absolutely! Congrats on gaining the necessary experience ahead of time and welcome to the big crazy family...we all float down here Timmy!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Or was it Georgie...?

Hang on, gonna ask myself and see what I say, we will be back to you in a moment.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
image.png

Come down here and say that.

If I'm correct, you're referencing a certain 1,138 page literary work that has only 50 or so pages of material that is actually exciting.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I don't believe it disqualifies you from getting a licence from the local authorities, but this may be regional. My state ask 3 questions when I renew my licence, Are there pending criminal charges against me, have i been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, have i had any of my healthcare licences suspended or revoked. I believe the NREMT ask the same questions. Your health history is private as far as I know. I would obviously not mention it unless specifically asked by the health authorities

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Ak beat me to it. The only state I'm aware of that I can hang you up is Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Here the question is asked at the beginning of employment if any mental illness Inpatient or Suicide attempt is 'Family Related' if so you can be hired, if not no hiring

Summit

Critical Crazy
Here the question is asked at the beginning of employment if any mental illness Inpatient or Suicide attempt is 'Family Related' if so you can be hired, if not no hiring
What does that even mean?

pogoemt

Forum Crew Member
What does that even mean?

He means that when you are hired, you are asked if your mental illness was related to family matters. If it is family related, you may be hired. If it is not family related, you may not be hired.