Do you pack heat?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I guess I fail to see the logic behind most peoples motives to carry a weapon. Its not like the majority of you guys live in a bad neighborhood, or live out in the wilderness, where a gun might be beneficial.

We have several firearms in the home, both for hunting, recreational target shooting, and for protection (I'm not of age to have my CCW yet).

I live in a pretty bad neighborhood. We've had something like 6 homicides in a month or so (one in which a mans home was burglarized, he was kidnapped, and murdered at a different location) and I've literally lost count of the attempted homicides and non-fatal shootings. An elementary school girl who lives very close to me was recently raped in her own home.

We've had two attempted burglaries at night (that we are aware of)... one of which I was home alone, which I often am as my boyfriend pulls shifts at the fire station. I'm not saying I'm helpless without him, but I definitely feel more vulnerable being a young woman home alone. Yes, I feel safer sleeping with a flashlight, phone and gun by the bed.

I know that I will likely never need to use a gun to protect myself or home, and preventative measures such as alarms and good locks are best, however I clearly do not have firearms to "feel cool" - I have them so I can sleep better at night. You can come out to this neighborhood and sit there with nothing but a phone as you actively hear someone trying to break in your home and tell me how you feel, and then you can come pry my gun from my cold dead fingers if you still think it's wrong for me to have one.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I don't mean to come off as a hippy or anything, but truthfully, how often do we really hear of instances when carrying/owning a weapon was actually beneficial in a time of dire circumstances? I think we see more instances were gun owners children get a hold of their weapons and kill themselves, or gun owners shoot themselves while "playing" with their guns, then times when they were actually beneficial against crime.

Also, where do you think the majority of weapons used In crime come from? They are stolen or sold from gun owners. If the gun owner population goes down, the instances were guns are acquired to use In crime goes down.

Obviously some weapons are smuggled from other parts of the world, but we really don't have to dig too deep into the obvious in regards to crime statistics in other areas of the world. We have more murders in a day than some countries have in a year. It all goes back to Americans infatuation with Guns and their "constitutional right to bear arms."

Some interesting statistics. US ranked number 4 in regards to gun fatalities. The countries above them, are not nearly as advanced as we are. http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

It's real simple. If I'm a criminal, I'm going to think twice about robbing someone if they're likely to be carrying. If the gov't bans guns, then I can break into someone's home and basically do whatever and whoever I want. Same for any crime.

For example, here in Stafford VA, there are a good many Marines, Army, cops, FBI, Secret Service, you name it. They're all armed, for sure. Plenty of lay folk with hunting rifles, shotguns, etc as well. The worst crimes we see around here are teenagers playing mailbox baseball. There was a murder here last year. Well, not exactly. The murder was in Prince William county; the body was just dumped in Stafford. The chances of breaking into a home and getting yourself blasted are excellent.

See for yourself:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/va/stafford/crime/

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
For those of you that do NOT wish to carry, there's this thing called "herd immunity". Basically, if enough people are known to carry, criminals of the violent crime variety are less apt to commit their favorite types of crime for fear that the person will be armed. The non-carrying public benefits because the criminal doesn't know who is armed and who isn't.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Better get strapped up myself then I suppose.
You do not have to get "strapped up" yourself... just be aware of the facts and go forth with them and make your own decision. I (myself) do not care if you decide to not arm yourself. That is a decision only you can make for yourself. I don't think anyone should have any issue with you doing that... as long as you do not try to make the rest of us do as you do. Those of us that are (or will be) armed shouldn't drag you along with us. Your belief is yours and yours alone.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Carry a Glock 22 when I'm not working.

I carry a SIG P229R .40S&W off duty. Can't carry on duty.

I love my SIG. Best gun I've ever fired. And I love the .40. Not like shooting a 10mm cannon, but still carries an enormous kick downrange.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I carry a SIG P229R .40S&W off duty. Can't carry on duty.

I love my SIG. Best gun I've ever fired. And I love the .40. Not like shooting a 10mm cannon, but still carries an enormous kick downrange.
Heh, .40 Short and Wimpy :)

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I'm considering purchasing a pistol and/or a shotgun, for target practice and home defense. Given the nature of our job, what's your stance on owning firearms?

we carry heat packs in the ambulance. All the heat we need. Leave your gun at home.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Tasers are virtually useless outside of LEO. Single shot, limited effect. You shoot someone with a taser and you better hit on the first shot because that's all you've got, and you better hope he stays down after the first set of shocks end or else your entire attention is going to be fixed on pulling that trigger every 5 seconds or so.

I looked into getting a Taser a while ago, and per Taser's website the civilian Tasers deliver one 30 second shock, and the trigger does not have to be held down to continue shocking. The PD Tasers only shock for 5 seconds. Their explanation for this is that 30 seconds gives you enough time to fire and run, where as PD is firing and subduing. They will also replace your Taser if it is lost/destroyed after a justified discharge.

OP
OP
SanDiegoEmt7

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
After some research, I have just found out that my local county Sheriff runs a Shall Issue CCW operation, based on the fact that such a program helps mitigate crime.

Looks like the entire CCW process only takes 2-3 months here.

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Heh, .40 Short and Wimpy :)

Yeah, but at the time I was looking into going into the police force, and that's what was carried by the locals at the time.

Since I have a bit more time, I'll post my views on carrying:

It's a lot like guys carrying condoms. You're not going to need it all the time, but you'll be glad you had it on you when you do. The only difference is hoping to use one while avoiding the other.

ETA: I've been looking into getting a 1911 to join the .45 club, but I'm also wanting to get into cowboy shooters. Then there are my Nagants like somebody else mentioned. Man, I love those things.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yeah, but at the time I was looking into going into the police force, and that's what was carried by the locals at the time.

It's a lot like guys carrying condoms. You're not going to need it all the time, but you'll be glad you had it on you when you do. The only difference is hoping to use one while avoiding the other.

Just giving ya'll crap about the .40 :p I actually like the round, but I only have 1 pistol that does double duty for 2 and 4 legged predators, so I'm a bigger fan of the full-house 10mm round

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
I like it too, but it's been too dang hard to find any of the popular calibers for too long now. Helps that my dad got a reloading bench a while back, but we've still got to set that up.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I've had good luck in the past with DT and GA ammo for 10mm, that and having a friend when I lived in ABQ that reloaded 1300fps 200gr JHP rounds for me :)

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Haha, that helps.

I haven't had a decent day at the range since the last election when everything disappeared. I used to shoot what I had, but I've felt like I've had to ration my rounds :sad:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I've seen ammo everywhere in NM and TX lately. Even to the point of seeing some Buffalo Bore 10mm rounds sitting on a shelf. Go look around, or just order from a supplier like GA online. I would have gone insane not being able to blow off steam with shooting the last few months.

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
I actually did stop by the counter at Walmart, and it was pretty well stocked. The cost of .22 has been going up, but other than that, I was happy.

Now I've just got to find time to get to the range, and I'll be all set.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

ETA: I've been looking into getting a 1911 to join the .45 club, but I'm also wanting to get into cowboy shooters. Then there are my Nagants like somebody else mentioned. Man, I love those things.
Some SASS folks allow the 1911... in it's own class as that pistol came into being at around the time of the "demise" of the Wild West. Careful though, a good 1911 (O-Frame as a friend of mine calls them) can be very addicting. But yes, better to have and never need than need and not have...

As to the ammo sales, the manufacturers have finally caught up with the demand. So... you'll find the common calibers back on the shelves instead of disappearing as fast as it comes in.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
10mm auto? i guess its ok, if you like increased recoil, increased muzzle blast, larger framed firearms, and higher cost.

I can get the same ballistic performance out of .40sw loads as i can 10mm in a smaller package for much cheaper.

The whole reason .40SW exists is because of the short commings of the 10mm, according to FBI at least.If you compare the high powered loads of each, you might get an extra 200 fps out of the 10mm, but at typical combat ranges where a pistol would be used, that is a negligible difference

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
question: for those of you that carry all the time, why is that?

and how come once you step on the ambulance, those reasons for carrying all the time don't apply?

and if the reason you don't carry is department rules, why do you allow your personal safety (if that is why you carry all the rest of the time) to be given up by your agency's rule?

for the record, I don't carry a gun with me everywhere, nor do I carry on when at work.