Do you pack heat?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Last edited by a moderator:

nemedic

Forum Captain
They were ambushed. SPPD tore down the house to get the perp. He was Signal 7.

200 bullets will do that to ya. :)

Now why did those barbaric LEOs do that to that poor, disenfranchised person? Why didn't they "donate" the house to the SPFD for a surprise live-burn exercise? And give the estate a receipt for the tax deduction. Or, 1 round or two to the lower abdomen, coupled with a delay of approx 45 minutes to an hour for the scene to be declared safe for EMS to enter and pronounce....I mean treat the perp

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Scumsucker was in the attic, with one of the officers who was deceased. I don't quite know for sure how he was extricated, but it was before the house was torn down.

nemedic

Forum Captain
yeah, I figured on the guy being somewhere barricaded. just replying that with the amount of rounds expended, it was probably a quick exit, and not the slow painful one the perp deserved

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I've been looking to buy an AR-15 for a while now, and have decided I'm just going to build one. I've been ogling different sites for parts for the past few days, and I'm getting pretty excited. COME ON TAX RETURN! :D

Jeff Toorish

Forum Probie
There are a few responses on here about how it is always a good idea to own a firearm for home protection. But from outcome based statistics, that is actually not particularly valid. Statistically, in homes with firearms, the chances are 45 times greater that someone other than an intruder will be shot and killed with that gun.

In other words, owning a firearm and keeping it in your home is, statistically, incredibly more threatening than the relatively remote chance that you will encounter an intruder and then have the presence of mind to shoot him (almost never a her).

As for carrying a gun, the data is not as definitive, but it seems clear that the chances of you actually using a gun to ward off some bad guy are pretty slim. Take the shooting in Arizona recently, there was a guy in the crowd carrying. He nearly shot the wrong person, one of the people trying to stop the gunman. He said he was just lucky he didn't kill an innocent.

Realistically, most incidents happen so fast and there is so much turmoil that there is simply no time to react; and there is a very good chance of reacting wrong. Unlike the movies, real time is fast and not always clear.

In a former profession, as a journalist, I covered far too many stories about kids shooting other kids because dad (it was never the mother) failed to lock up the guns. In every case, the father had been properly trained in gun safety and in most cases believed he had taught his children about gun safety. To be honest, I do not believe most gun owners are all that safety conscious, but that is just a casual observation.

Having said all that, just so we are clear, I am a strong believer in the 2nd amendment and I personally own a weapon, I'm licensed to carry concealed and usually do. I am both military and civilian trained in firearms handling; and while in the military I worked on a special armed security detail.

I am also a very strong believer in gun safety, as I'm sure we all are. I think the first part of safety is understanding the real risks. The beginning step is knowing the actual data.

Stay safe.

PotashRLS

Forum Crew Member
As for carrying a gun, the data is not as definitive, but it seems clear that the chances of you actually using a gun to ward off some bad guy are pretty slim. Take the shooting in Arizona recently, there was a guy in the crowd carrying. He nearly shot the wrong person, one of the people trying to stop the gunman. He said he was just lucky he didn't kill an innocent.Realistically, most incidents happen so fast and there is so much turmoil that there is simply no time to react; and there is a very good chance of reacting wrong. Unlike the movies, real time is fast and not always clear.

With what sounds like a very admirable and commendable background, how did you end up being a journalist?? Interesting transition. However, I can't say thanks enough to any man or woman who has protected my freedoms. Thanks!

I think your interpretation is flawed above. The fact that the ccw person did not shoot in the chaos is a testiment to his critical thinking skills. He didn't shoot because he didn't have a safe shot. The word "nearly" is subjective. Twenty ccw people could have drawn their weapons there and all would be accurate in saying they would have been lucky not to kill an innocent person.

The interview that I saw with the ccw person talked about him not shooting because the perp was already being subdued. And based on previous posts, I can't believe a bunch of "rednecks" didn't shoot the whole place up just trying to protect everyone from the crazed gunman.:rolleyes::wacko: When someone drops the "redneck" term in a firearm conversation, they basically acknowledge that they are part of the problem. It may as well be legalized racism in my opinion.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
In other words, owning a firearm and keeping it in your home is, statistically, incredibly more threatening than the relatively remote chance that you will encounter an intruder and then have the presence of mind to shoot him (almost never a her).
Yesterday in Newark, a well meaning citizen shot an uninvited guest who decided to enter his property without his consent and knowledge in the leg, wounding him and requiring both an ambulance and PD to respond to take care of said intruder.

the citizen was unharmed.

Jeff Toorish

Forum Probie
Yesterday in Newark, a well meaning citizen shot an uninvited guest who decided to enter his property without his consent and knowledge in the leg, wounding him and requiring both an ambulance and PD to respond to take care of said intruder.

the citizen was unharmed.

And for every one of those, 45 people who are not uninvited guests are shot.

Again, i am very pro-gun, but I like to have all the facts.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
And for every one of those, 45 people who are not uninvited guests are shot.

Again, i am very pro-gun, but I like to have all the facts.
You might wish to check your sources. Why do I say this? The study that originally claimed that statistic was later retracted, and number subsequently revised downward... WAY down. You do not have all the facts.

Even the VPC's own statistics are a bit off... They claim that the odds are more like 3:1 of your own firearm being used to harm a member of that family, but they do not exclude accidental discharge.

An analogy is: you're much less likely to be involved in an at-fault auto crash if you do not own or drive a car.

VPC claims that homicide with handgun vs. self-defense is a 43:1 ratio... but they're neglecting to tell you that most of that homicide happens to be suicide (majority of homicide) or criminal on criminal events. You really do have to see the actual report for yourself to see what and how the report has been manipulated. In any event, you're far more likely to die in an auto crash (or be severely injured in one) than you are to die by being shot, from all causes of death by firearm usage. There's about a 3:1 ratio on that...

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Even if the risk is low, I still would rather be prepared for the worst.

RapelSyrup

Forum Ride Along
I carry a Springfield XDM 3.8" Compact in 9mm. I have my CCW and carry everywhere legally allowed.

I will not be a victim.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Concealed carry is a lifestyle

Too true.

I own several, and carry most of the time I'm not on duty or at school.

I've been carrying long enough that I've learned that a good holster and belt make all the difference. If you'll spend $400+ on the gun, from $100-$150 on a good belt and holster.

Oh - I'm also politically active with a state-level PAC to work to change some of the laws restricting use of force and carry restrictions. (Castle Doctrine / Stand Your Ground, etc).

If you're in Pennsylvania and want to help - PM me.

-----

I carry because I refuse to be a victim. I'm a fan of the Springfield XD line, and I also have a Ruger LCP.

I carry 9mm - because it works, and is easy to shoot.

MEDIC802

Forum Crew Member
Brand new to site , I carry all the time, i am a paramedic/ tems medic, my family all carry and we shoot at least once weekly(not weakly) my daughter and wife are very comfortable with any firearm in my house (that includes cleaning them), But to answer the thread question only some one highly trained should be allowed to carry any weapon(notice I said weapon not just gun) in civilian EMS we hope to have LE on scene when we respond to potentially "dangerous areas" or areas where crowd control is needed, then you have the drug seekers who want to act as a pt and try to steal drugs from the truck hopefull we have performed a good initial assessment and found any "weapons" the pt may have on them, oh well so much for my 2 cents.

Tommerag

What day is it?
I got my concealed weapons permit when I was 19. Usually have 9mm with me most of the time and a 1911 and shotgun at home. Plus my other rifles for hunting and target shooting. Could always bust out the old AR15 to lol

Spotfyre

Forum Ride Along
I also carry where ever my rice paper will let me ( ok its an ID card now) Glad to see others that do and understand the responisabilty it takes to make it a lifestyle choice. Be safe out there in work and every where else.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Because you know, way deep down, in the deepest reaches of your soul, the the .40 is THE automatic handgun round. :p

Meh, considering when I get my reloading setup completed, I can make the 10mm do anything I want it to do (from .40 levels to full power NORMA loadings w/ 220gr JHP to the double rounds like DoubleTap sells), I'll stick with 10mm being my primary caliber :) And since I just found a site where I can buy conversion barrels for the Witness, the G23 just got put on hold. I'll just start saving for the slides and barrels to make my 10mm Witness into a 9mm, .22LR, .45ACP, .40SW, .357SIG, and 9x25 Dillon :)

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I also carry where ever my rice paper will let me ( ok its an ID card now) Glad to see others that do and understand the responisabilty it takes to make it a lifestyle choice. Be safe out there in work and every where else.
There's a California site that takes this very seriously, and you might find some people down your way that share the shooting passion. While CalGuns is a large site, they're not exactly the safest place for advice. If you're not already on CalCCW, I suggest you check out that site. Great site for California-specific CCW.