Do you pack heat?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I carry hand heaters, an electric blanket and an electric heater.

Sent from my Fischer Price Laugh and Learn Phone.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Seems the peanut gallery has escaped. It even seems the jokes have been recycled from pages past.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
For the moment, since I still have my NM dl I still have my NM ccw. Back home it didn't matter if it printed since oc was legal without permit with some rules.
I usually make sure I don't print though even carrying a full size duty gun (eaa witness in 10mm)

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm curious if the OP ended up purchasing a firearm or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Amazingly enough, California does allow for Loaded, Open Carry... just not in incorporated cities, school zones, or areas where discharge of firearms is prohibited. Unloaded Open Carry is technically legal outside of School Zones, and a CCW takes those restrictions down to Courthouses, Federal Buildings, "Sterile Areas" of Commercial airports, and public buildings/meetings protected by a metal detector... and that's actually about it. Picketing while armed (CCW or not) is not legal anyway. Not carrying within a Bar is technically legal, but most CCW licenses have a restriction about that. That makes your CCW subject to revocation if you carry in a Bar.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
HK .45 or .40 is being ordered with the arrival of my next check, decisions decisions.

After that its going to be a benelli pump action
HK pistols are an excellent choice. If you're still in California... in those calibers, you're going to be limited to the P2000 and the USP models. In fact, if you're going to the .45 ACP, you'd have to get one of the USP models. However, that's only if you're buying new. Consignments and Private Party Transfers are exempt from "the roster" of handguns certified for sale.

As for the Benelli shotgun, they're very good shotguns. If you're going to "tacticool" it, I'd suggest an 870 or a 590 from Remington or Mossburg. Otherwise, you really can't go wrong with the Benelli from what I've heard about them.

If you're no longer residing in California... You have a TON of decisions to make about which pistol to buy - even in the HK line! If you haven't already, rent a few different pistols and have some fun with them. If you've settled on HK for certain, do yourself a favor and rent the models you're looking to buy and compare them side by side. If you're considering reloading, also consider the costs of obtaining the components too. In any event, try to save your brass. You might find yourself reloading some day or know someone that does who would love to benefit from you. ;)

OP
OP
SanDiegoEmt7

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
HK pistols are an excellent choice. If you're still in California... in those calibers, you're going to be limited to the P2000 and the USP models. In fact, if you're going to the .45 ACP, you'd have to get one of the USP models. However, that's only if you're buying new. Consignments and Private Party Transfers are exempt from "the roster" of handguns certified for sale.

As for the Benelli shotgun, they're very good shotguns. If you're going to "tacticool" it, I'd suggest an 870 or a 590 from Remington or Mossburg. Otherwise, you really can't go wrong with the Benelli from what I've heard about them.

If you're no longer residing in California... You have a TON of decisions to make about which pistol to buy - even in the HK line! If you haven't already, rent a few different pistols and have some fun with them. If you've settled on HK for certain, do yourself a favor and rent the models you're looking to buy and compare them side by side. If you're considering reloading, also consider the costs of obtaining the components too. In any event, try to save your brass. You might find yourself reloading some day or know someone that does who would love to benefit from you. ;)

Solid advice! I am indeed looking at the USP, I was thinking I would get a smaller caliber to save money on ammo, but a coworker of mine just got 250 rounds of .45 for 70 bucks (walmart) so I think I'm going to go ahead with it. As for the benelli, I'm probably just going to get the supernova pump action with pistol grip. The only thing I'll probably put on either is a light, as it will be for home defense.

LuvGlock

Forum Crew Member
Life saving ammo is cheap at any price.

The $ problem, IMHO, comes when you're buying 1000 rounds of practice ammo. If it's too expensive, and you're not going to spend the money to practice, you're better off with a smaller caliber that has cheaper ammo.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
The $ problem, IMHO, comes when you're buying 1000 rounds of practice ammo. If it's too expensive, and you're not going to spend the money to practice, you're better off with a smaller caliber that has cheaper ammo.

This.

I carry a .40 and after a while practice ammo adds up. Not to mention buying your carry ammo to practice with every month or so.

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
Rag on a 9 all you want, but I love my USP9c.

Any well placed round, be it a 9 or a .45, will still do the job.. just you'll have more of the 9 :D

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
9, 40 short and weak... all the same :p

The only way to economically practice with the heavier/larger calibers (not always the same thing) is to roll your own.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
9, 40 short and weak... all the same :p

The only way to economically practice with the heavier/larger calibers (not always the same thing) is to roll your own.
Very true. The 9mm will be cheaper and "softer" shooting than a .40... partly because the weight of projectile will be lower. All handgun rounds will be underpowered compared to a rifle, so... shot placement will be key. I'm not all that recoil sensitive, so a 9mm or a .40 or a .45 all work just fine for me. I don't yet reload for pistol, but you can find a significant savings per load if you reload. We're talking box of 50 costs in the $4 range once you get going.

Reloaders don't shoot less expensively... they shoot a lot MORE for the same cost. ;)

One thing to also consider is the costs of the equipment and material and how many boxes it'll take to break even. That point may take a couple years to reach, but once you do....

Oh, and NEVER carry reloads for defensive purposes unless you absolutely have to. It makes your defense in criminal and civil court a LOT easier if you carry only factory ammo. Practice all you want and shoot IDPA/IPSC with reloads... but for defensive purposes, carry ONLY factory stuff.

Ronmac13

Forum Probie
I live in ga and carry whenever and wherever is legal. I carry a s&w sd40. What's great is a local judge recently shot and killed a home invader within the past 4 months.

As safety is concerned, I've never just had a firearm decide to shoot itself, amasingly enough I have had to pull the trigger every time. Never had any kind of accidental discharge. The only time to freak out at the sight of a gun is if it's pointed at you.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
...I've never just had a firearm decide to shoot itself, amasingly enough I have had to pull the trigger every time.

You too!? Wow, I thought I was the only one. You know, with media making guns out to be some sort of machine that shoots at random... :lol:

Ronmac13

Forum Probie
You too!? Wow, I thought I was the only one. You know, with media making guns out to be some sort of machine that shoots at random... :lol:

ha don't get me started on assault rifles. They're the worse. Just laying around assaulting everyone.