Aprz

The New Beach Medic
No.

secureap

Forum Ride Along
Hi!

1) Yes
1a) Yes
1b) Postgraduate Diploma in EMC (2 years)
Currently pursuing Masters in Emergency Medicine, a year way, hopefully.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
1) Do you have a college degree?
Yes, three of them, about to be four.
AAS-Paramedic, Rose State College, Oklahoma.
BS- Education with an emphasis on adult education and workforce development, University of Central Oklahoma
Bachelors of Applied Technology- Healthcare Management, Brazosport College, Texas
Master's Degree in Healthcare Administration, University of Houston-Clear Lake, Texas.

1a) if yes, was it completed before you got into EMS?
Nope. All four are after I started working as a full-time medic.

1b) If yes, what is the higher degree you have earned?

and lastly, is your degree EMS related (if not please, list your major / area of study)

All except the AAS are not EMS-related, but all are very applicable.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Yes i have a degree
Bachelors was started before i knew about EMS, finished after i joined my volley squad
B.A. History
Masters in Homeland Security with a concentration in Emergency Management starts in September

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

Yes

Started working part time during school

and lastly, is your degree EMS related (if not please, list your major / area of study) BA, major in economics

Going to be starting an MBA part time in the fall

cprted

Forum Captain
1) Do you have a college degree? Yes
1a) if yes, was it completed before you got into EMS? Yes
1b) If yes, what is the higher degree you have earned? BA - History/Poli Sci
and lastly, is your degree EMS related (if not please, list your major / area of study)

And likely starting some graduate level work in the next year or so ...

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Going to be starting an MBA part time in the fall
I keep saying I want to try for my MBA next semester... currently trying to find a way to pay for it and decide which school I can attend without having it compromise my employment.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I keep saying I want to try for my MBA next semester... currently trying to find a way to pay for it and decide which school I can attend without having it compromise my employment.

I'm doing an in-person part time (two evenings a week) program, very excited to start. Are you looking for online or in-person?

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Right now I'm not sure.... I want to do it in person, as I have been told that the networking you do in class is often more beneficial to your career than the content you learn in class, and I have been disappointed with a lot of the online classes I have taken, especially regarding the content that will be beneficial (previous I reserved online classes for prereq classes that didn't directly impact my area of study). I have also had some instructors who were less than communicative with their students in online classes; it's harder for them to ignore your question when they are right in front of you.

If i can get a part time program (currently have my eye on UNC's MBA program), that is one or two days a week, in the evening or weekend, that would be ideal.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Yes. AA, ATS, BA (currently pursuing MS)
No. None were.
BA
ASsociate of Technical Science is in Fire/EMS
BA in Classics
Currently in MS in Nursing program (FNP)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yes

I worked for a Boston-area private when I was on break but I'm not sure that really counts.

BA in Political Science. I am in theory eligible to get my Paramedic Sciences AAS but don't really want to fight the community college to take my undergrad credits as there is no transfer agreement in place and I am not sure that it will really help me much...

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, and yes, years before I considered EMS.

Architectural Engineering, and even worked for nearly 10 unhappy years as a structural engineer.

I'm considering either a MS in Emergency Management or Nursing...

Dr Parasite, should have asked the obvious question..."When your partner finds out what your BS is, do they ask what the **** you're doing running BLS transfers?"

Yes.

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
Yep, bachelor's in EMS Management and Criminal Justice. Was working EMS while obtaining the degree. Would love to go back and get my masters, but I don't think that'll be happening anytime soon.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
1) Do you have a college degree? YES
1a) if yes, was it completed before you got into EMS? NO
1b) If yes, what is the higher degree you have earned? NA
BS paramedicine MS Global Health. Living that 40k a year dream... ;-)

Last edited:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Replying in the quote...
With there being some discussion about EMS requiring a degree in the future, I wanted to ask everyone on here a multi part question:
1) Do you have a college degree? Yes, two of them.
1a) if yes, was it completed before you got into EMS? Yes and no, respectively.
1b) If yes, what is the higher degree you have earned? Bachelor of Science and ADN.
Bachelor of Science is Sports Med/Athletic Training - it's closely related and made all subsequent medical/nursing education relatively easy thus far.
Associates Degree in Nursing.

terrible one

Always wandering
1) Yes
2) No
3) Yes, BS emergency medical care

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yes
1a) No
1b) BSN, currently in a MSN to DNP program.

BS Fire Science Engineering, AS- Emergency Medical Science, AS- BSN-Nursing,

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
1) Yes
1a) No
1b) NA
My BA is in sociocultural anthropology with a research interest in the cultural perceptions of health and healing. So not really EMS related, but healthcare related?
I'm also 3/4 of the way through an MSN program right now.