Do you eat well?

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
I have been going to gym for about 4 months ive noticed eating healthy is some times cheaper and obviously helthy way to live.

I know some foods are hard to prepare quickly, you can make food the night before.

Snacks are simple, fruits, nuts & salads

Main meals grilled chicken baked, potatoes, boiled eggs, oats.

If you eat these you will feel better and also these are high energy foods.

Try it out. This is a pic of Ronnie Coleman a police man.Obviously he also trains and is on supps (Whey). Another good product is Nitrox tabs, this is very good to keep you awake on long shifts.

Attachments

• RonnieColeman.jpg
    RonnieColeman.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 651

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm on a very strict see food diet. If I see food, I eat it. That picture of ronnie coleman sure did jack me up to go find a needle though :rolleyes:

OP
OP
M

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
HAHA im talking natural here lol. He is ummm not so natural but eats like an animal summing like 1kg or grilled chicken just for lunch.

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Haha cheaper? Are you kidding? Ever since I started eating healthier with more fruits and veg my grocery bill has gone up!

OP
OP
M

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
No I found that veg is cheaper than chips(grow our own and buy excess), choc etc. It depends what it is your eating, chicken is much cheaper than my read meats, R30 for 4 breasts compared to R100 for 300g stake. If you buy a bottle of coke R15 and fruit juice is R15.Water is free from a tap. Apples and oranges are about R2 ea and buy packs of 8.R16. Brown rise is cheaper than White.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
You mean like Carl's Jr and In n Out?
Everyday?

Cause thats how I eat at work
:sad:

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Heh, I actually eat better at work than I do at home...But, maybe that's cause I work nights, not many choices to walk into at 3am

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
this picture taken shortly after i got into ems:

EXT5.jpg

so ive never been a small guy.

this picture was taken a year ago, 4 years ish on the job:
me3.jpg

thats a good fourty pound difference anyway.

they dont call it the ems diet for nothing

Second

Forum Lieutenant
yea I'm on the see food diet too but i weigh about 165 lbs 5'11"

Medic9

Forum Lieutenant
Since working full time in EMS I have slowly put on a few pounds. I have found it very hard to eat regularly and healthy. Yesterday my day started with an interfacility txp at 5 am. On the way back I grabbed a med coffee and two donuts from Dunkin Donuts. I didn't get to eat again until 1800 that night between E-calls. Got to swallow (tasted it later) a southern style chicken sandwich and a few sips of sweet tea.

Sitting down to eat = emergency call. EVERY time

NJN

The Young One
I only eat at the finest restaurants, One of them is a castle that is white, another is run by this wonderful chef her name is Wendy, when i am in the mood for scottish i go to McDonald's, and then if i want poultry i go to a nice little place where the recipe was created by a Colonel. Recently i've been on leave, the EMS diet is true, i lost 10 lbs (4.5 kg), that will change:D

imurphy

Forum Captain
Warning: Not good advise!!

I agree with Kev. People DO put on weight working in EMS. Remember we do have a lot of time sitting on our asses!

I have actually LOST weight since I joined the service. This is from a number of reasons including:

1. I drink a lot of coffee. And that seems to fill me up so I don't feel hungry, and usually get by fine on 1 meal a day. As I said above, not good advice, but I've been like that for 4 years with no ill effects!

2. When I eat, the hospitals usually do good meals in the canteens

and the number 1 reason EMT's lose weight.....

Well, on our wages we can't afford to eat esp at rent week!! ;)

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
ive been out of work for almost a year. very little fast food, lots and lots of home cooked meals. i cook every day. i use things like real butter(lots of it) heavy cream, bacon, beef thats only 75% lean, bread, pasta potatoes etc etc etc. i eat pretty well. i actually eat more when im not working than when i am.

in the last year, using the above "method", i have lost almost thirty pounds with zero effort whatsoever. no gym, no jogging, no counting points. i actually reduced my activity level and lost weight. all i changed was no fast food, no 8 trips to the coffee shop a day, no moutain dew and fritos from the er vending machine. just actual food.

call it bs, call it a myth, call it weak will power, i dont care what you call it. the ems "diet" is legit.

OP
OP
M

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
1 of the biggest person muscle wise i ever saw was a Flightmedic, between calls he would do weights. He was HUGE. Also my gym is across the road from a fire station so the ff come to the gym often. They are also quite big.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
ive been out of work for almost a year. very little fast food, lots and lots of home cooked meals. i cook every day. i use things like real butter(lots of it) heavy cream, bacon, beef thats only 75% lean, bread, pasta potatoes etc etc etc. i eat pretty well. i actually eat more when im not working than when i am.

Where do you find 75% lean? I live in cow country USA and the best I can find is 80% lean. I love me some good 'ole fattening cow. Just sent one to slaughter today so we'll be eating good soon.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I don't eat as healthy as I wish I could. With 3 kids still at home and trying to survive on a cops salary purchasing "healthy" is not as easy as I wish it could be.

Since I pack my lunch for work........ french fries and burgers are a non-issue with me.

And I have to comment on Ronnie Coleman........ luv the guy.......... but he is a pro-bodybuilder. There are sperate competitions completely for "Natural" and guys like Ronnie. There is usually about 100lbs in weight difference between the two.

The reason............. juice............ and it's not grape or apple......... it doesn't come in a cup either :)

Spend some real time in a gym and you will know who your "juicers" are. It doesn't' take long to notice the guy that is 506 and weighs 250 sporting a 6-pack and a 450lb bench. :)
Kip

abriggs

Forum Crew Member
I usually eat pretty healthy, and I go to the gym regularly, but I did that before getting into EMS, so it wasn't as hard...

phabib

Forum Lieutenant
I was going to say I've gotten better but I'm eating Mike and Ikes for breakfast.

I guess the answer is no.

gillysaurus

Forum Lieutenant
No, I don't. I chalk it up to being a college student, though, more than I blame it on EMS. Though EMS definitely doesn't help.

My diet consists mostly of Fruit Loops and pizza from Little Ceasar's. I try not to drink coffee or go out to fast food more than twice a week, but my willpower is very little when it comes to Starbucks and Happy Meals ^_^

In a fit of guilt, I decided to start swimming a couple times a week. It's working really well and is a great stress reliever, but I'm pretty sure my diet isn't going to make any drastic change for the healthier any time soon.