Do you eat well?

jochi1543

Forum Captain
I've put on like 10 lbs in the last 2 months (2 of them in school, 1 also working FT). My major downfalls are eating out of boredom (work takes care of that) and from stress (thank school for that one). I also have this weird thing where I find it hard to eat healthy unless I work out. Unfortunately, there is no gym in town where I work. There's a pathetic excuse for a gym at the oil patch camp a few minutes away, with no TV or music (and I can't listen to my iPod because I might miss a call). In -40 weather with a foot of snow, I'm not exactly burning with desire to go there and have 300 sweaty nasty men stare at me in complete silence while I'm on the elliptical.:ph34r:

On school days, I try to make it to the gym at least once on the 4 days I'm in class (ideally twice), but that means that 2 out of the 3 evenings I spend at home are almost entirely dedicated to that. Considering I have no days off at all right now, it's awfully tempting not to go.

I've made a compromise with myself to try and not GAIN any more weight until school's done in late January. I can focus on actually losing it later. I'm also thinking of buying a used elliptical or something for work, so I can work out here without having to venture outside into the Arctic. The challenge is finding one that will fit into my compact car...:wacko:

JonTullos

Forum Captain
I sure don't eat "right". However, I've discovered that if I go to the gym regularly I do alright as long as I do a bunch of cardio in addition to weights.

Hardee's is a weakness. I've braved the monster burger... three times. A friend of mine claims that he got chest pains while watching me eat it. LOL

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
It's not that difficult to eat right, and anyone that says it's tough is full of it, though it may not be as tasty as a monster burger, fries, and a jumbo coke. The night before you work, or the morning of work, make some turkey sandwiches on whole wheat bread, throw in a ziploc bag of celery and a small jar of peanut butter for a snack, maybe some dried fruits or bring a few apples...for example. If you're really concerned about it, make your meals the night before - brown rice, chicken breasts, vegetables, fruits, lean meats, tuna fish....there are plenty of options out there. Laziness and excuses are the easy way out.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
It's not that difficult to eat right, and anyone that says it's tough is full of it, though it may not be as tasty as a monster burger, fries, and a jumbo coke. The night before you work, or the morning of work, make some turkey sandwiches on whole wheat bread, throw in a ziploc bag of celery and a small jar of peanut butter for a snack, maybe some dried fruits or bring a few apples...for example. If you're really concerned about it, make your meals the night before - brown rice, chicken breasts, vegetables, fruits, lean meats, tuna fish....there are plenty of options out there. Laziness and excuses are the easy way out.

I always make food the day before. If I get really pressed and for some reason can't bring food to work, I make some extra time and grab some sandwiches on the way in. I rarely "have" to eat fast food. Personally, homemade is better anyway.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Always fresh.. Always Tim Hortons. Kinda catchy tune anyways.

When I read that I heard the tune in my head.. lol

I stock my husband's food locker at work with canned soups. Nice easy quickly prepared meal for those crazy shifts when there isn't time to fix a meal. It's possible to find them with decent ingredients and low sodium/fat content. I stick to the Amy's Organics brand.

Now, if I could just get them to put a lock on the food buffet in the ER break room, cookies, chips, candy bowls, pot lucks for EVERYONE'S birthday/anniversary/promotion etc. Its not fair to leave that stuff out where the ambulance crews have to smell it while writing our reports.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I've done it! We have tossed the large candy bowl from the fire station!

NebraskanPrincess

Forum Probie
I'm vegetarian :) And so long as I bring my bag of carrot sticks and avoid the fast food places, I'm golden. It helps that my gallbladder was taken out awhile ago as it makes me intolerant of greasy foods. Chinese food is my weakness. I'm working on the saying no of that :)

Sasha

Forum Chief
I ate terribly while working! There were days that I bought a big bag of skittles at the 711 and that was breakfast, lunch, and dinner because we were always busy and ran over our shift! Sometimes I skipped eating all together because I was just too irate or tired after work and then there was a week where I had taco bell or Tijuana Flats every day for dinner because it was quick and easy and I suck at cooking.

Now that I'm not working I can and have eaten a lot better.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I try to eat healthy. Sometimes I do and sometimes it's a bag of nachos.

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm vegetarian :) And so long as I bring my bag of carrot sticks and avoid the fast food places, I'm golden. It helps that my gallbladder was taken out awhile ago as it makes me intolerant of greasy foods. Chinese food is my weakness. I'm working on the saying no of that :)

Also vegetarian, one of my favorite pick-me-ups is Miso Cups. Miso broth sometimes with a bit of flavoring dehydrated. Just add to hot water ... very tasty and amazingly filling.

Chinese food can be okay if you find one that goes easy on the oil and sugar.

Fredoman

Forum Probie

I agree, in the past I was quite a heavy set person. I went from a flabby 285 to a solid 205. Some things you just have to learn to do... Brush your teeth, take a shower, put your socks on, go to work, working out and eating correctly should be at the top of the list.

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not eating well right now because I'm in race training limbo but once my marathon training starts I will be starting a new diet.

15-20% protein, at least 50-55% carb, 30% fats. I'm increasing my carbs but I'm going to focus on getting in good ones...not stuff like white bread! I might as well just start buying bags of horse feed. It's got about the right balence of everything!

FTRPO

Forum Crew Member
I bet that would make you run further wardance.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I've done it! We have tossed the large candy bowl from the fire station!

Can I have it please?

Candy-addicted college student who works as medical assistant in an insanely busy OB GYN clinic that is constantly having huge lunches catered by drug reps.

My diet sucks but my input doesn't exceed my output, so I'm not gaining weight. However, I get very few fruits and veggies and my eating schedule is extremely erratic except for breakfast. The good news is, my diet is very low in red meat, saturated fat, cholesterol, etc.

HatchetHarry

Forum Crew Member
Since going to the fire academy I have definitely started eating well. I have always found fast food to be absolutely disgusting but my diet during college consisted of microwave food, pizza, BBQ, and of course beer lol so it was anything but healthy. Ive since revamped my diet with oatmeal, eggs, whey protein, lean meats, broccoli(only veggie I eat), sweet potatoes or other complex carbs, and fruit. I do have a cheat meal once in awhile thats usually a meatball sub on whole wheat, chicken wings, or BBQ.

EmsPrincess*

Forum Crew Member
I eat very healthy. Salmon like three times a week, cottage cheese, nuts (lots of nuts), fruit, and broccoli like crazy. Only whole grains. My kids eat the same except on pizza night...lol...never met a piece of pizza I didn't like.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I'm on the Moonshiner Diet:
"I'll eat when I'm hungry, I'll drink when I'm dry, and the moonshine don't kill me, I live 'til I die."

Actually, I have no idea what my eating habits are, because they're incredibly erratic. It seems to work out alright, in that I'm not malnourished or gaining weight, but I'd like to at least know how I'm eating and to do something about that horrible college-student sweet tooth.