Do not ever bring the stretcher up more than one or two steps.

Nerd13

Forum Lieutenant
Errrr, I've done this often. Midaz for seizures and psychotic breaks, naloxone to opiate overdoses, fentanyl, etomidate and rocc or suxs for unconscious RSIs, ACLS drugs to every cardiac arrest I've ever run, calcium for hyperkalemia...the list is long. Not really a good "never".

Of course there are patients that are unable to answer you but in general if they can answer it's a really fantastic idea to ask.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
If you have to go number 2's always do so before clearing hospital. Otherwise Murphies law states you will get a a code 1 (code 3?) while you are dropping the kids off at the pool.

wandering_idiot

Forum Crew Member
If you have to go number 2's always do so before clearing hospital. Otherwise Murphies law states you will get a a code 1 (code 3?) while you are dropping the kids off at the pool.

SEVEN Pages and NOW someone decides to mention Murphy? WTF is wrong with you people? He should have been mentioned back around posting #3...

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Never say Never. Never say always.

Never get caught with your pants down. (Be prepared for anything and everything)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Ahem, WanderingIdiot, see reply #44. Where were you, Charlie?

In fact, see my statistics for threads stated back in 2009 or so...

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Invest in yourself. Sleep when you can. Eat when you can. Pee when you can. And, yes, poop when you can. Because there will be moments when you can't. Noone wants to be stuck tired (about to pass out from shear exhaustion), hungry (low blood sugar), doing the pee pee dance, and/or prairie dogging.

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
never

take a set of vitals given to you by a nurse/cna/doctor. take your own ALWAYS even if they say they took them 20 seconds prior to you getting there.

heres an exchange =

nurse : PT is hypertensive i took BP before you got here BP is 180/90
me : i took BP just now and i got 120/60 on left arm and right arm 2X
nurse : take PT to hospital they are hypertensive
me : no they arent i just took BP they are normal and AnO X3 and dont want to go.
nurse : no they are hypertensive take to hospital
me : no.

rinse and repeat.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Alright I have to interject here.

Never trust a BP of 120/80 unless you or someone you have worked with and trust took it.

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
Alright I have to interject here.

Never trust a BP of 120/80 unless you or someone you have worked with and trust took it.

my opinion is if your being handed off a patient from someone else you take your own vitals period because at the end of the day its your responsibility. partners that you know and trust are one thing but if your being handed a patient from a hospital/nursing home/another unit my point was never take their vitals as the word take your own. thats how things are in my district.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
my opinion is if your being handed off a patient from someone else you take your own vitals period because at the end of the day its your responsibility. partners that you know and trust are one thing but if your being handed a patient from a hospital/nursing home/another unit my point was never take their vitals as the word take your own. thats how things are in my district.

Thats a given...we have a lot of students in our system, myself included when I'm not wearing my Intermediate pants. We also interact a lot with fire seeing as they are with us on any priority 1 or 2 call.

I'm pretty sure we are agreeing if I'm not mistaken. I won't lie, I've told more than a few EMT students to take the pressure again if they spit out 120/80 at me if its an ILS/BLS patient and I'm the attending. If the student is competent I'll let them run the show for the most part, until myself or the medic see something they miss then we will bump them in the right direction.

Hellsbells

Forum Crew Member
Never 'assume' your truck is good to go when you arrive after someones shift.

Very good one. On one occasion, I few years back I came on for a night shift. The days crew said "no need to check the truck, we didn't have any calls today." Like an idiot I took him at his word, went inside to eat supper, get called out of town for a man with chest pain, I open the doors to collect the strecher for my partner, but the strecher is not there.

It turns out they did transfer a neonate in an isolete to the airport, but had to take out our strecher, because the hospital had thier own that fit with their equipment, then they forgot to pick it up again later.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
128707201188358333.jpg

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Very good one. On one occasion, I few years back I came on for a night shift. The days crew said "no need to check the truck, we didn't have any calls today." Like an idiot I took him at his word, went inside to eat supper, get called out of town for a man with chest pain, I open the doors to collect the strecher for my partner, but the strecher is not there.

It turns out they did transfer a neonate in an isolete to the airport, but had to take out our strecher, because the hospital had thier own that fit with their equipment, then they forgot to pick it up again later.

So then the question is, what did you do next?

A similar thing happened last month, an offgoing dispatcher onsited an MVC a block from the base. He called 911 and then called our dispatch and asked them to send one of our trucks out given the location. Another dispatcher and an oncoming EMT grabbed a truck at random out of the garage and took off, failing to note that the stretcher was left next to the truck after some preventative maintenance. They were a little embarrassed when the city showed up and asked why they didn't just transport.

Hellsbells

Forum Crew Member
We were luckly, I don;t remember what the pts specific problem was, but we were able to walk him to the ambulance and have him sit in the airway chair. When we arrived at the hospital our strecher was sitting in the bay where the previous crew left it.

Needless to say I never neglect a complete unit check anymore.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Disregard. This is what I get for thinking that captioned pictures only belong in the directionless thread.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We were luckly, I don;t remember what the pts specific problem was, but we were able to walk him to the ambulance and have him sit in the airway chair. When we arrived at the hospital our strecher was sitting in the bay where the previous crew left it.

Needless to say I never neglect a complete unit check anymore.

I'm sure there were some red faces too.:p