Do not ever bring the stretcher up more than one or two steps.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Use some other means of carrying the patient down to the stretcher. That is all.

Do you have an always or never statement that applies to EMS?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Edit:

Ok... always remember to disconnect the O2 from the ambulance before removing the patient.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Always make sure the jp drains arent open BEFORE you move the patient.

NEVER forget to burp the colostomy before helping to change it.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
Never 'assume' your truck is good to go when you arrive after someones shift.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Never say Never

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Never 'assume' your truck is good to go when you arrive after someones shift.

I'm spoiled. VSTs stock our trucks. Everything is checked and all compartments are snap-tied shut by them, if the tie is broken they know they need to check and restock the compartment :D They are really, really good at what they do.

Our bags are our responsibility, though.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Never say Never

Too true.

I disagree with the first comment. Especially if additional hands are available, there's nothing wrong with carrying 4,5,6 steps. Depends on the situation. It's easier with an old-school litter, rather than one of these fancy power ones.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Too true.

I disagree with the first comment. Especially if additional hands are available, there's nothing wrong with carrying 4,5,6 steps. Depends on the situation. It's easier with an old-school litter, rather than one of these fancy power ones.

Agreed on situation dependent comment. We have the Stryker power pros, I love 'em but they are heavy. If its only 5-6 steps and fire is with us we usually bring the stretcher. If it's just my partner and myself anything more than 3 usually gets a stair chair, unless they are a small patient.

Stryker stair chair with the tracks :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Agreed on situation dependent comment. We have the Stryker power pros, I love 'em but they are heavy. If its only 5-6 steps and fire is with us we usually bring the stretcher. If it's just my partner and myself anything more than 3 usually gets a stair chair, unless they are a small patient.

Stryker stair chair with the tracks :D

So much jealousy right now.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Whoops wrong thread

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
So much jealousy right now.

It's nice being able to hold a 300+ pound patient mid way down the stairs by myself just by tipping the chair back a bit. ;)

Anjel

Forum Angel
I love our stryker stair chairs.

I have taken the regular stryker stretchers up and down ten stairs.

The guy was a vegetable and on a portable vent. The stairs were like 3ft wide. It was our only choice.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I love our stryker stair chairs.

I have taken the regular stryker stretchers up and down ten stairs.

The guy was a vegetable and on a portable vent. The stairs were like 3ft wide. It was our only choice.

Scoop stretcher?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Scoop stretcher?

You can't really rest a scoop stretcher on the stairs if one of you needs a second.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You can't really rest a scoop stretcher on the stairs if one of you needs a second.

True, but it's better than carrying the entire gurney, manual or powered.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'd rather take the stretcher. Yeah its heavier but like I said if I need to take a second I could put it down half way through rather than possibly losing my grip or hurting myself. I have also seen people use the power stretches to kind if "climb" the stairs. Wore out the battery but it worked.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'd rather take the stretcher. Yeah its heavier but like I said if I need to take a second I could put it down half way through rather than possibly losing my grip or hurting myself. I have also seen people use the power stretches to kind if "climb" the stairs. Wore out the battery but it worked.

Touche saleswoman. :cool:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
You guys are so lucky to have the Stryker stair chairs, half of our stair chairs are broken, and aren't really helpful anyways :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk