Did I do everything I could have/did I do anything wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
...all the more reason not to go into a situation with out the proper safety equipment, like a big vehicle with flashing lights telling people to slow down and move to another lane.

Yes, I absolutely 100% agree. (5th time I've said this. I'm counting.)

For someone who faints while in life at the movie theater, or clutches their chest and goes down at a restaurant, etc etc the scene is much easier to deem 'safe'. Of course don't get involved if there is a gun fight or people are running around with knives.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
"1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/idiot"

1. Additionally, calling a spade a spade is not making fun of someone.

2. Are you willfully ignoring the "or someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way" part?

I don't think it will be productive to debate if the word "idiot" is a bad word or not. Let's instead see what the forum moderators do when you refer to me or someone else as an idiot.

JPINFV

Gadfly
You can say whatever you want! Your entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine! Stop or don't stop, I don't really care what you do or don't do!

Being entitled to an opinion does not mean being entitled to be free from discussion about said opinion, especially when said opinion is initially written to appear to be the standard for any specific state.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Being entitled to an opinion does not mean being entitled to be free from discussion about said opinion, especially when said opinion is initially written to appear to be the standard for any specific state.

Everyone is entitled to their own facts, no matter what.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot

"An idiot, dolt, or dullard is a mentally deficient person, or someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way. "

It's not nice to make fun of the mentally deficient.

A person who does not wear their seatbelt is acting in a self-defeating way. No person (hopefully) wishes to die in an MVA, a seatbelt is the easiest and most effective way to prevent death. Also, failing to wear your seatbelt is counterproductive to my survival in a crash, because said non-belted person is no longer a person but rather a large, unsecured object with pointy parts in close proximity to me.

I feel stupid for having stooped to the level of semantics.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I don't think it will be productive to debate if the word "idiot" is a bad word or not. Let's instead see what the forum moderators do when you refer to me or someone else as an idiot.

I get the feeling that calling people who fail to wear a seat belt in the back of an ambulance an idiot is not going to earn me any points.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
A person who does not wear their seatbelt is acting in a self-defeating way. No person (hopefully) wishes to die in an MVA, a seatbelt is the easiest and most effective way to prevent death. Also, failing to wear your seatbelt is counterproductive to my survival in a crash, because said non-belted person is no longer a person but rather a large, unsecured object with pointy parts in close proximity to me.

I feel stupid for having stooped to the level of semantics.

That sums it up pretty well.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Everyone is entitled to their own facts, no matter what.

No. Everyone is not entitled to their own facts. One does not get to simply make stuff up.

EMT-MA

Forum Ride Along

You appear to be a expert on every subject!

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

JPINFV

Gadfly
You appear to be a expert on every subject!

I'm special. I also don't get mad because someone disagrees with me, hence you will never see me end posts with platitudes like, "Just saying" or "just my opinion." I post my opinions, but I understand that expressing said opinions opens up those opinions to discussion and critique.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
That's ridiculous! JPINFV is not an expert on every topic, I AM!!!

From the facts you are pulling out of thin air, I would question that every heavily. I can pull facts out of books but you are still stating that they are wrong??

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Lets refrain from petty insults and name-calling.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
But on the topic of those who use less than ideal judgement, let me ask about this extremely sad and tragic case which happened just today:
http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrod...al-accident/Z26D6PKm7FALu2pqbrpg7K/index.html

Whenever I do oil changes I use both a jack and a jackstand. I know jacks fail or get knocked over and I never want to have a car fall on me. What say you all?

I say wait for something more than a quick blurb from the Metro Desk before you make any judgements. None of us here have any idea if jack stands were being used. When more information is available, maybe then consider posting your judgement.

While I suspect you are unfortunately correct in your assumption, I fail to see how this adds anything to the discussion. I highly doubt he wished to have an SUV fall on him and am curious to what your point is. Incidentally, I feel that including this example is in rather poor taste, but oh well.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I say wait for something more than a quick blurb from the Metro Desk before you make any judgements. None of us here have any idea if jack stands were being used. When more information is available, maybe then consider posting your judgement.
You may be correct in that he was using jackstands but they failed, or he was only using a jack which itself failed.

While I suspect you are unfortunately correct in your assumption, I fail to see how this adds anything to the discussion.
Its highly relevant to the topic of people not using appropriate caution.

I highly doubt he wished to have an SUV fall on him and am curious to what your point is. Incidentally, I feel that including this example is in rather poor taste, but oh well.

I also highly doubt he wished to have an SUV fall on him. The point, however, is obvious. Does this fall into the category of not using appropriate caution? The taste issue, however, is meaningless. It's an extremely tragic even that just happened, which makes it incredibly sad.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I also highly doubt he wished to have an SUV fall on him. The point, however, is obvious. Does this fall into the category of not using appropriate caution? The taste issue, however, is meaningless. It's an extremely tragic even that just happened, which makes it incredibly sad.

Depending on how the accident went down, he may be an idiot for how he acted. I'm not going to go lightly just because someone is a fire fighter (and I'm completely for denying benefits to the drunk and coke head from BFD who died a few years ago in a fire because one had cocaine and the other had at least 2 times the legal limit of alcohol in his system at autopsy).

Similarly, I reject the notion that one cannot treat the vast majority of patients while being seatbelted in the back of the ambulance. It might be uncomfortable and take a few days to get used to, but that doesn't mean it's impossible, or really all that difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.