Denver Health EMS

Will980

Forum Probie
I would like to get as much information as I can on what it’s like to work for Denver EMS as a paramedic.
There website has a wide range as far as pay, does anyone know if they pay for experience?
What kind of EPCR system do they use?
How is their equipment?
What type of trucks Cardiac monitors? etc.
Do they do transfers as well as 911 calls?
What is there hiring process like?

I would appreciate any information that can be provided, I am considering moving to the area. I have over 10 years of experience as a paramedic and looking for a change of scenery. I have looked at the threads on here but it seems like the information that I am looking for is a couple of years old at least so I would like to get some updated information.

Thank you

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm no expert but we have some part timers that have worked at DG in the past. They do pay more starting for experience but I can't remember exact numbers. They've got a pretty new fleet of E350/LifeLine Type IIIs. Complete with an "X" screen printed onto the bench so you can direct your walking patients on where to sit, lest they sit on the cot. For what ever reason that's a big thing in Denver, if you can walk to and from the ambulance, you will. They will not go away from the super light old school Ferno Cots I have noticed. I think they use LP12s as well. No idea what their ePCR system is but of note, they run pretty much exclusively double medic and you alternate shifts between driving and riding.

They have a CCT ambulance but I think that's it for transfers.

Not too sure about the hiring process, but they are not civil service. My understanding is that it's a pretty standard process, written test, interview, maybe a practical test?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
IComplete with an "X" screen printed onto the bench so you can direct your walking patients on where to sit, lest they sit on the cot. For what ever reason that's a big thing in Denver, if you can walk to and from the ambulance, you will.
I cannot say how much I love this. beats having to use 2 inch tape lol

reasons #1 to walk ambulatory patients: prevents unneccesary back injuries to your EMS personnel. Do you really need another reason?

It's actually very common in most inner city urban environments, where patients are treated based on their medical needs, not on the "everyone gets carried to the ambulance." But I still love the printed X on the bench seat.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I did it all the time when I worked in Boston. Now I work in Colorado's second biggest city part-time and the expectation is that most patients will be conveyed to the ambulance in some manner other than their own two feet. It's a silly expectation, but alas.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I would like to get as much information as I can on what it’s like to work for Denver EMS as a paramedic.
There website has a wide range as far as pay, does anyone know if they pay for experience?

Yes, they do pay for experience.

What kind of EPCR system do they use?

High Plains for PCRs

How is their equipment?

Generally in pretty good shape.

What type of trucks Cardiac monitors? etc.

Lifeline extended cab type III https://www.flickr.com/photos/toneslider12/7320576772/
Lifepak 12 monitors right now. It'll be changing at some point, probably to the 15.

Do they do transfers as well as 911 calls?

Occasionally from a Denver Health clinic to the ED or a major trauma from a non-trauma center. It's pretty rare. There's a CCT ambulance, but it's staffed with a nurse and an EMT.

What is there hiring process like?

I don't have a great answer because it's changed since I was hired. I know there's a phone interview that's more of a personality test before any EMS interview. Also, they're planning on hiring big academies this month and next month because we were approved to add a bunch of new full-time medic spots.

DrParasite

Will they be hiring EMTs too, or just paramedics? Website says they have 130 Paramedics, and 24 EMTs.....

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
@Ensihoitaja

Thanks for the feedback, I got some questions as well.

I noticed you guys have EMDs , how are you guys with it. I've worked in a few systems all with "EMD" but some still responded everything Code3 and some did it right with code 2 and 3 responses and sending the FD respectively.

How is OT? Is it strict or always there?

SSM I'm assuming?

How are insurance benefits and retirement?

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
@Ensihoitaja

Thanks for the feedback, I got some questions as well.

I noticed you guys have EMDs , how are you guys with it. I've worked in a few systems all with "EMD" but some still responded everything Code3 and some did it right with code 2 and 3 responses and sending the FD respectively.

The EMD isn't too bad, we don't go emergent on everything. Fire also responds on emergent calls. Unknown injury accidents, medical alarms with no complaints, and lift assists are handled by the fire department.

How is OT? Is it strict or always there?

OT is usually pretty plentiful, but it goes in cycles a bit. There's opportunities at special events, too, like Rockies and Broncos games. OT for over 40 in a week. There's evening and night shift differentials, too.

SSM I'm assuming?

Yes, and we do 4/10s.

How are insurance benefits and retirement?

Insurance is pretty affordable and there's a few different options. We pay into a 401(a) instead of social security and the hospital puts in some extra on top of that, so I'm happy with how my retirement account looks right now.

DrParasite

The EMD isn't too bad, we don't go emergent on everything. Fire also responds on emergent calls. Unknown injury accidents, medical alarms with no complaints, and lift assists are handled by the fire department.
I know it's off topic, but I have a huge problem with the last sentence. EMS should be send on all MVAs with potential injuries, all medical alarms, and lift assists. These all have a very high potential for EMS needs. If you can't handle that call volume, than you need to put on my trucks.

After all, you don't see PD responding to fire alarms and only requesting the FD if it's an actual fire. or EMS responding to a report of a building collapse and only calling the FD is there are people entrapped. Same logic, send the appropriate EMS resources for the EMS assignment. But that's another topic....

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I don't agree. Do they have potential? Yes. Do they have an articulated need? No. For it to just be a lift assist call, they have to say they don't have any complaints and that they had a mechanical fall. Anything else gets an ambulance response.

DrParasite

I don't agree. Do they have potential? Yes. Do they have an articulated need? No. For it to just be a lift assist call, they have to say they don't have any complaints and that they had a mechanical fall. Anything else gets an ambulance response.
Tuesday I went on a "lift assist" call. patient had no complaints, we picked him up, put him back in bed, he didn't want to go to the hospital, and everything looked good. We convinced him to go, which was a good thing; 30 minutes later (while transporting to the ER), his pressure dropped to 89/50, and he turned purplish blue from the nippleline up. If the engine had just put him back into bed, what would have happened?

Also, was it a fall or did the patient have a syncopal episode? and how many falls have injuries? do you get refusals on lift assist?

want to be treated like one of the big boys? than handle everything that comes with the job, whether you like it or not. The more EMS does, the more you will be remembered when budget time comes around, and the more calls you go on, the more justification you have to get more resources (hence the reason urban and some suburban FDs go on EMS calls) when the pencil pushers decide how many units they need to cover your primary area.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
What if the ambulance just picked him up and left him in bed?

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
Tuesday I went on a "lift assist" call. patient had no complaints, we picked him up, put him back in bed, he didn't want to go to the hospital, and everything looked good. We convinced him to go, which was a good thing; 30 minutes later (while transporting to the ER), his pressure dropped to 89/50, and he turned purplish blue from the nippleline up. If the engine had just put him back into bed, what would have happened?

Also, was it a fall or did the patient have a syncopal episode? and how many falls have injuries? do you get refusals on lift assist?

want to be treated like one of the big boys? than handle everything that comes with the job, whether you like it or not. The more EMS does, the more you will be remembered when budget time comes around, and the more calls you go on, the more justification you have to get more resources (hence the reason urban and some suburban FDs go on EMS calls) when the pencil pushers decide how many units they need to cover your primary area.

The "big boys" line is needlessly insulting, but thanks for that.

What was your rationale for convincing him to go to the hospital?

To fall under the lift assist criteria, the patient has to stay on the call that it was a mechanical fall. If the reason for the fall is unknown, they get an ambulance. If they have a complaint they get an ambulance. If they say they lost consciousness or aren't sure, they get an ambulance.

If they have a complaint, they're a refusal. If not, it goes down as a lift assist.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't think someone has any idea what the Denver emergency services outlook is. You know better than I what Denver Health's reputation is and I think it's fair to say that they currently have "big boi" status.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You have no idea how frustrating this is to me seeing as I just signed a year contract in exchange for CCEMTP for free.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is alternating driving/attending by shift rather than call but not something that you can't get used to.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
A year isn't too long. I'll be looking at three for medic school.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
You have no idea how frustrating this is to me seeing as I just signed a year contract in exchange for CCEMTP for free.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is alternating driving/attending by shift rather than call but not something that you can't get used to.

I was skeptical about that at first, but I think it works pretty well. It's nice to settle in with one thing for the day and it's nice not to have to trade the laptop back and forth.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I don't think someone has any idea what the Denver emergency services outlook is. You know better than I what Denver Health's reputation is and I think it's fair to say that they currently have "big boi" status.

Heh. We've also run more than 100,000 calls the last 2 years and this year is on pace to be even busier, so we don't really need to go looking for business at the moment.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Lol I was thinking the same thing. I loved living in Lakewood and wouldn't mind going back. DG or a TX third service are really my top options eventually