Denver Health EMS

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
What if the ambulance just picked him up and left him in bed?
Actually, that wasn't my point.... what I was trying to say was if the engine crew just put him back in bed, and went on their way, 45 minutes later, the wife would have called back unhappily that now her husband of 45 year was turning purple. if the ambulance was there, I would hope they would at least assess the patient, moreso than the engine crew (more equipment, more patient care experience, more "this is my job" vs "this is what I do when I am not fighting fires", more education/training, etc). In truth, the patient might look fine, and have still crashed afterwards, but it's always better to have documentation from a medical professional that an assessment was performed vs the FD just helped him off the floor.
The "big boys" line is needlessly insulting, but thanks for that.
it's not insulting, it's a statement of fact in too many systems nationwide, where don't get the resources to do their job right, and have to rely on the other . but that's another topic.
What was your rationale for convincing him to go to the hospital?
IIRC, it was because he wasn't feeling right. didn't really have a complaint, every thing looked good, but he didn't feel right.
If they have a complaint, they're a refusal. If not, it goes down as a lift assist.
we do that too.
I don't think someone has any idea what the Denver emergency services outlook is. You know better than I what Denver Health's reputation is and I think it's fair to say that they currently have "big boi" status.
I'm sure their reputation is stellar, especially compared to other EMS agencies. Do your field supervisors make as much as an FD battalion chief? Does DHEMS's director report to the mayor? Does their system suffer from the revolving door problems that plague many other EMS systems, where people will work EMS until they get picked up by the FD, PD, or nursing/PA/medical school? is DHEMS a system where you can have a wife and two kids, own a home and live comfortably without working 40 hrs of OT a week? what are their turnover levels when compared to others in public safety? do you have the ability to retire with a livable pension, and other jobs for when your body can't handle you being on the ambulance day in and day out? you opened the door on this one.
Heh. We've also run more than 100,000 calls the last 2 years and this year is on pace to be even busier, so we don't really need to go looking for business at the moment.
so? FDNY EMS system runs something like 1.2 million calls a year... but if you do pick up more calls, and add another 5 ambulances to every shift, isn't that a good thing? Poor systems (like where I used to work) run their crews into the ground to compensate for the rising call volumes.... good systems staff additional trucks on a FT basis to compensate for the additional call volume. Total run volumes are one thing, unit hour utilization is actually a much better gauge on how busy you are.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
it's not insulting, it's a statement of fact in too many systems nationwide, where don't get the resources to do their job right, and have to rely on the other . but that's another topic.

I still disagree. I don't think that "responds on lift assists" is the defining characteristic of a good ambulance service.

IIRC, it was because he wasn't feeling right. didn't really have a complaint, every thing looked good, but he didn't feel right.

That's a fair point. Although we don't know if that call would have gotten an ambulance from us.

I'm sure their reputation is stellar, especially compared to other EMS agencies. Do your field supervisors make as much as an FD battalion chief?

They make good money but I don't know what Denver Fire District Chiefs make.

Does DHEMS's director report to the mayor?

The chief paramedic reports to the chief of emergency medicine and the CEO of the hospital. We're not part of the city government.

Does their system suffer from the revolving door problems that plague many other EMS systems, where people will work EMS until they get picked up by the FD, PD, or nursing/PA/medical school? is DHEMS a system where you can have a wife and two kids, own a home and live comfortably without working 40 hrs of OT a week?

We have people that leave for all of those things, but not constantly. You can make a comfortable living without working ridiculous amounts of overtime. I do.

what are their turnover levels when compared to others in public safety?

Anecdotally, there's more turnover than typical fire departments but substantially less than in private EMS.

do you have the ability to retire with a livable pension, and other jobs for when your body can't handle you being on the ambulance day in and day out? you opened the door on this one.

We don't have a pension plan but we pay into a 401(a) and the hospital makes substantial contributions as well. My retirement account is in great shape with no additional input beyond the basics.

so? FDNY EMS system runs something like 1.2 million calls a year... but if you do pick up more calls, and add another 5 ambulances to every shift, isn't that a good thing? Poor systems (like where I used to work) run their crews into the ground to compensate for the rising call volumes.... good systems staff additional trucks on a FT basis to compensate for the additional call volume. Total run volumes are one thing, unit hour utilization is actually a much better gauge on how busy you are.

Last I heard our response UHUs were between 0.6-0.7. We're in the process of adding 20-25 new medics to make up for increased demand.