Could you Pass the NREMT in a Week?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
After being out of EMS for a number of years I was looking at what it would take to transfer my cert to a new state.

I'd need to pass the NREMT, which is unlikely.

Could you pass the NREMT written and practical test if you had to take it now?

You have a month to go all out to prepare. What do you do after being out of school and practice for far too long?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I could pass the practical without any issues. It would be interesting for the written portion.

If I didn’t have to pay for the test I would love to take it again.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I could, yes. I'm an EMT instructor that teaches a recruit style academy.

Are you looking for study tips specifically?

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I could, yes. I'm an EMT instructor that teaches a recruit style academy.

Are you looking for study tips specifically?

Not specifically looking for study tips. I decided against transferring my license. Didn't want to have to take a refresher course and NREMT-like test every four years.

Just wondering what others would do if there were in similar shoes.

NomadicMedic

If you needed to take the psychomotor, you'd have to review the sheets a few times. If you haven't learned a lot of bad habits, you'd be fine.

A test prep app for a week would be enough to tune you up, unless you're a total zero (which I don't think you are). Focusing on the systematic approach to assessment and management.

The majority of the signs/symptoms questions should be easy to identify and respond to.

Monday

Forum Probie
I did a state equivalent of NREMT with similar conditions recently & checked out what's public of NREMT for comparison and yes to your question.

Although other levels of certification would be more interesting / practicals I orient, theory and terminology I need helluva brush up on.

I'm very in and out of school and usually studying while working and it shows.

So very much get recert can be a bit of a PITA to get various license demands straight, and kudos for keeping at it and keeping at improving yourself and care of your patients.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
There are a couple things to consider:
1) depending on what state you want to transfer your certification to, NREMT might NOT be required. When I came to NC, they accepted my NJ cert.

2) NREMT certs only last every 2 years. which is annoying. so you need to do all the continuing education or retest every 2 years. most states recert every 3 or 4 years

3) I did 0 studying when I took my NREMT test. I literally dropped my car off at the mechanic, and asked them fro a lift to the testing center. less than an hour later, I was calling to be picked up. However, I had a strong science background, and had been working full time in EMS for several years.

If I had to do it now, could I? probably. it's not rocket science, and I have 20 years of EMS experience to draw on. I would review the skill sheets, but again, with 20 years of doing this, I am confident I could pass, even though I haven't been on an ambulance in years.

I've always said it's easier to keep a cert than get a cert again once it's expired, so you can probably contact your local CC and see if they are running a hybrid refresher class for EMTs anytime soon. would likely be worth the time and money to keep your cert, unless you were 100% sure you never wanted to do anything with EMS ever again.

NomadicMedic

Right now Pennsylvania is running a “recertification special”.

If you expired after 12/31/2014, you can log in to the DOH portal and request a reactivated license, no test or skills validation required. You’ll receive a provisional license good until October. At that time you’ll have to meet the con ed requirements.

They have also loosened the minimum staffing requirements. You can (during the crisis) run an ambulance with 1 EMT or AEMT and a non certified driver.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Could I pass NREMT Paramedic? Probably could right now, but I'd probably have to brush up on the skill sheet stuff so that I don't hit any critical fail points inadvertently for not verbalizing it...

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Could I pass NREMT Paramedic? Probably could right now, but I'd probably have to brush up on the skill sheet stuff so that I don't hit any critical fail points inadvertently for not verbalizing it...
That's really impressive. Do you have any system or process for retaining knowledge? Especially "by the book" knowledge?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
That's really impressive. Do you have any system or process for retaining knowledge? Especially "by the book" knowledge?
Unfortunately, no. Like others above, I've been involved in doing things for so long, it's pretty much working knowledge, so it's constantly refreshed and often used/recalled subconsciously. The downside is that I would have to think my way through "by the book" stuff because that stuff is often behind the current times.

If I really wanted to brush up on the "by the book" stuff, I'd take a formal refresher.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Yeah, I'm pretty confident that I could, even though it's been quite a while. I practiced for a pretty long time and am generally a good test taker. A week or so with a good test prep guide and the skill sheets, and I think I'd be fine.

In fact I'd be lying if I said I hadn't recently been thinking about doing just this.

NomadicMedic

I've gotten no less than a dozen messages over the past couple of weeks from former EMS friends that want to get back into it.

I send them the skill sheets and a link to subscribe to medictests.com.

That's it.

Last edited:

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I'm not sure if I could actually pass the NREMT written or skills, or NCLEX for that matter, at this point. They both are based on rote knowledge and skills that become detrimental with fluidity and knowledge that experienced providers develop.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
If I’m being honest, I’m too chickensh*t to try it. The same goes for my FP-C exam.

I’ll just stick to putting my head down and hand out to hand over my monies to the vampires.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I think I could pass the written no problem. If I didn't work a local medic program I would certainly not pass the skills tests. Could probably survive the "integrated out of hospital scenario" and oral boards but the actual skills I'm sure I'd deviate from sheets.