Could use some help

Pierogi

Forum Probie
Hello everyone,
new to the site and just wanted to ask some general questions.

-after i get the basic certification is it all i need to begin working as an emt?

-in this wonderfull economy of ours now, is it very difficult to find work staring out? I live in Illinois if the state makes a difference.

-can anyone recommend any good reading material to give me to study up on? maybe a text book title

-and finally, i'm most likely going to attend a community college for the certification. Does any one know of any good schools around the chicago land area? do they have seperate schools for this field or will any community college suffice?

any information is greatly appreceated.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, welcome to EMTLife!

-after i get the basic certification is it all i need to begin working as an emt?
In order to work I needed my EMT-Basic state license, AHA BLS Provider card, driver's license, and an original Social Security card.

-in this wonderfull economy of ours now, is it very difficult to find work staring out? I live in Illinois if the state makes a difference.
It depends, but you can find out right now by calling up local services. It may be challenging to find EMT-Basic employment depending on your location, but it can be done, and was far easier than finding any other job I've ever had (including my stint in fast food as a teenager).

-can anyone recommend any good reading material to give me to study up on? maybe a text book title
You can use the search function to find many great books, but I found my course textbook to be a great study guide/review tool. I'd wait until you find out what text your course will be using, and use that one.

-and finally, i'm most likely going to attend a community college for the certification. Does any one know of any good schools around the chicago land area? do they have seperate schools for this field or will any community college suffice?
I would always suggest the community college route, and here is what Google turns up:
- Oakton Community College - Doesn't require a sponsor
- The City Colleges of Chicago
- Weiss Memorial Hospital
- EMS Academy in the Center for Prehospital Care at Advocate Christ Medical Center
- Superior Ambulance Service

I hope that helps!

Last edited:

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
I do not know about IL but out here in the CA we need a commercial license with an ambulance endorsement to work so you might check with your states DMV to find the rules and regs about that...one text book that I found useful and its not really a text book but it helps in the fields is the BLS Field Guide...I think that's what it was called... I will have to go look for mine and I will get back to you on it but you can buy it from Barnes and Noble online and it is a pocket book that you carry and it has algorithms for various kinds of emergencies and things that a basic can do..

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Welcome to EMTLife, and as a former Clevelander and a friend of more Poles and Slovaks than I can shake a stick at, your screen name rocks! Pass the beer!!

OP
OP
P

Pierogi

Forum Probie
well now that was quick. thanks

about the EMT-Basic state license, AHA BLS Provider card. you get both of these from the basic EMT course i preseume?

thanks again. great site

medic417

The Truth Provider
AHA BLS Provider card.
thanks again. great site

Some schools require it prior to starting basic others teach it during basic.

OP
OP
P

Pierogi

Forum Probie
Welcome to EMTLife, and as a former Clevelander and a friend of more Poles and Slovaks than I can shake a stick at, your screen name rocks! Pass the beer!!

thanks. it was either gonna be cabbage head or pierogi. i chose the latter.
was more "politically correct" :beerchug:

imurphy

Forum Captain
Add a clean, or clean enough, driving record for MA anyway!1

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If the DUI was < than 3 years ago, most services will not even accept an application. Sorry, insurance carriers wants responsible drivers and yes what you do off duty matters.

R/r 911

medic417

The Truth Provider
If the DUI was < than 3 years ago, most services will not even accept an application. Sorry, insurance carriers wants responsible drivers and yes what you do off duty matters.

R/r 911

Yes it does. Many companys now investigate you to include online activitys. So all those pics that all your friends thank make you look cool well they make you not hired.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
Welcome from a fellow pollock.
In my state (MA) all I need to start working was a basic cert, health care provider CPR and a drivers license.

flhtci01

Forum Captain