Coronavirus Discussion Thread

OP
OP
Akulahawk

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The second PCR was probably collected with poor technique in this situation. That is definitely a positive. Why the hell did the receiving waste a test when there was a positive in the system?
They could also be using a different system with a different (possibly higher) threshold for positive vs negative than what the sending facility uses. The "in-house" system we use is fast but it requires a fairly high load before it give a positive result. The system we use for our "send-out" testing, which has a 24 hour turnaround, is far more sensitive but it does take that 24 hours. We used to use a 4 hour TAT system, but apparently no longer. So, we're at a 45 min TAT or a 24 hour TAT...

Now that being said, we have probably seen more COVID+ patients using our 45m TAT system in the past week than we've seen in the month or so before that. We'd see 1-3 patients per day, most tested neg. Now we're seeing more like 8-10 and about half or so are pos.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So, Statewide, we have had a total of 917 diagnosed cases. Which is good cuz I think there have been a couple states where that has been the new daily totals?

18 were reported today (they're saying that's like 1.5% of 1200 tests processed in that 24hr timeframe)

Anyways, 917 total cumulative cases, but 736 of those have recovered to the point of having been "released from isolation". 18 total deaths, leaves a current active case count of 163.

Only 12% of those 917 total have required hospitalization. The rest have largely recovered/recovering at home.

There's 244 ICU beds in the State. Approximately 48% are occupied, but they haven't said how many by COVID patients, other than to say the majority of ICU cases are not COVID.

10% of the 459 ventilators in State are also in use (once again, no breakdown of how many are COVID patients)

So we're seeing a bit of a second wave, but new cases are jumping between 2 a day to 30 a day so its been kinda hard to see the overall trend, but with 4th of July coming up, officials are def worried about a new wave.

People have largely been wearing face masks here. Its required pretty much everywhere public. Most places have started reopening. Though restaurants are still mostly take out/delivery, there's plans for phased dine in reopenings. Pretty much only bars and nightclubs remain totally closed, though karaoke bars have been given the go ahead to reopen (as long as theres like a plexiglass barrier or something between the singer and audience lol)

At the FD we're still limited in overtime, only allowed to work our own truck still. Despite only FFs having gotten the virus here, so hopefully they'll start allowing OT soon lol.

Mandatory quarantine has been lifted only for Inter-island flights. All other flights (international, mainland) are still 2 week automatic quarantine, but there's plans (or planning) to ease that somewhat (I guess they like Alaskas model where if you can show a confirmed negative test within like 3 days of your flight you dont need to quarantine, so we'll see...)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So, Statewide, we have had a total of 917 diagnosed cases. Which is good cuz I think there have been a couple states where that has been the new daily totals?

18 were reported today (they're saying that's like 1.5% of 1200 tests processed in that 24hr timeframe)

Anyways, 917 total cumulative cases, but 736 of those have recovered to the point of having been "released from isolation". 18 total deaths, leaves a current active case count of 163.

Only 12% of those 917 total have required hospitalization. The rest have largely recovered/recovering at home.

There's 244 ICU beds in the State. Approximately 48% are occupied, but they haven't said how many by COVID patients, other than to say the majority of ICU cases are not COVID.

10% of the 459 ventilators in State are also in use (once again, no breakdown of how many are COVID patients)

So we're seeing a bit of a second wave, but new cases are jumping between 2 a day to 30 a day so its been kinda hard to see the overall trend, but with 4th of July coming up, officials are def worried about a new wave.

People have largely been wearing face masks here. Its required pretty much everywhere public. Most places have started reopening. Though restaurants are still mostly take out/delivery, there's plans for phased dine in reopenings. Pretty much only bars and nightclubs remain totally closed, though karaoke bars have been given the go ahead to reopen (as long as theres like a plexiglass barrier or something between the singer and audience lol)

At the FD we're still limited in overtime, only allowed to work our own truck still. Despite only FFs having gotten the virus here, so hopefully they'll start allowing OT soon lol.

Mandatory quarantine has been lifted only for Inter-island flights. All other flights (international, mainland) are still 2 week automatic quarantine, but there's plans (or planning) to ease that somewhat (I guess they like Alaskas model where if you can show a confirmed negative test within like 3 days of your flight you dont need to quarantine, so we'll see...)

There have been counties who have been reporting 1,000+ new cases per day

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Anyone else having to wear a mask 24/7?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
We're technically supposed to be wearing face masks in station and trying to social distance... yeah I've seen a couple stations do that, most are like "Yeah, No"

Though from what I've seen, we've been good about wearing N95s to every single call regardless...

OP
OP
Akulahawk

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
At my hospital, we've seen a dramatic increase over the past week or so in numbers of patients that are COVID19+. Typically we'd see two or five per DAY and maybe we might have an admission out of those. In the past week, we're admitting between 4 and 6 COVID19 patients per day and we're seeing around a dozen or so (and discharging them home) every day. Part of this is that we're seeing a LOT more volume of patients every day than we have over the past couple months and we're testing a LOT more. Basically everyone that gets admitted anywhere from the ED gets tested. If you're going to a SNF, MHF, to a floor or unit, or transferred to another hospital you're getting tested. We're on universal masking for all patient-care facing employees and N95 or better for known COVID cases. When I get to work, I grab a PAPR, assemble and test it, and then I put it with my PAPR helmet and the entire assembly follows me everywhere.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Most our units are getting 1-4 COVID calls a day. More are symptomatic now than before it seems?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
First COVID intubation last night.

Summit

Critical Crazy
We charge interest against the collateral

OP
OP
Akulahawk

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Must be nice to have PAPRs you can just grab...I have to leave a baby for collateral...
We charge interest against the collateral
We have so few PAPR hoods that most of the people at work don't get to use a PAPR. They generally have to ask the House Supervisor for a hood. Since I have my own PAPR helmet that is 100% compatible with our system, I don't have to ask the House Sup for a hood and I don't have to worry about tears in the hood fabric. Even with me using one of the PAPR blowers, we have at least 2 more in the supply cart, one on each crash cart, and two more in an "emergency box" and that's just in the ED. ICU and our (now resurrected) COVID floor has them on their crash carts and a couple extras too, in addition to what Respiratory Therapy has. We used to have just 6 units total in the entire hospital. We now probably have 2-3 times that.

Since our PAPR units aren't use very often, I don't have to leave any collateral. I just have to remember to put it back...

I'll also likely purchase my own (better) unit with a couple "big" batteries in the next month or so, simply so that I don't have to draw from hospital equipment.

Summit

Critical Crazy
So you are short on helmets? 3m?

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Guess I should feel lucky to have my own PAPR mask that was provided for me. We also have the filters and everything for each of us on the truck

CanadianBagel

Forum Crew Member
We have intubation tarps, face shields, gowns, eye pro, and N-95’s. We’re supposed to wear gloves, eye pro and N-95 on every call, but most people don’t. Some people take off their masks in the back of the rig, which I find kinda gross. I wear my mask every time I walk into a scene or facility, since we have no shortage of masks here. I actually haven’t transported a COVID in two months. It’s pretty much down to a simmer here.

OP
OP
Akulahawk

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
So you are short on helmets? 3m?
No. We're short on 3M hoods. Once you're assigned one, it's yours unless/until it rips. I currently have the only 3M Versaflo helmet in the hospital.

Bishop2047

Forum Crew Member
In Canada we are more or less totally reopened, with new rules in place at most stores, gyms, and public spaces. We were very lucky in most areas to have very low total cases thus far, and our vastness really helped. Not hard to social distance in most areas of the country. Cities were hit the hardest, but now they seem to have a pretty good system in most provinces for contact tracing and quelling outbreaks.

Places like New Brunswick border Maine and have similar demographics, but very different stats.

Maine- 3373 total cases thus far and 105 dead.
New Brunswick - 165 total cases and 2 deaths.

On the West Coast

British Columbia- 2947 total cases and 177 deaths.
Washington St- 34151 total cases and 1342 deaths.

All things are not equal but the numbers certainly are interesting. Quebec was our hardest hit province so far percentage wise.

Quebec (8.4Mil)- total cases 55 682 with 5560 deaths
Virginia (8.6Mil)- total cases 64,350 and 1845 deaths