Coronavirus Discussion Thread

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I'm looking forward to the cut rates on Outer Banks beach houses AND new trucks this summer!
Got my eye on my new truck already! Haha!

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I'm looking forward to the cut rates on Outer Banks beach houses AND new trucks this summer!

I've saved almost 40% off my August cruise since my original booking in January.. They also gave me $100 on board credit just for not cancelling..

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I've saved almost 40% off my August cruise since my original booking in January.. They also gave me $100 on board credit just for not cancelling..
My cruise this month was cancelled and we were offered 100% credit for the cruise plus an additional 50% of future cruise credit. I will gladly take that.

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
My local Mercedes Benz Dealer has reduced the hours of their Service Dept. Mechanics from 5 days per week to 3 days per week.

I am sensing this year will be a good time to buy a car and do some hard business...

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Has anyone ever noticed during this pandemic that EMT's are largely left out of this and only Paramedics, NP, PA, DO and MD's are in the news. It just seems odd that EMT's are left out of this pandemic and you don't hear anything on how EMT's are helping in this pandemic.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
1. Quit your whining
2. You are simply being lumped into the more advanced category of Paramedic...sure beats the other way around when "we" constantly get called EMTs...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Has anyone ever noticed during this pandemic that EMT's are largely left out of this and only Paramedics, NP, PA, DO and MD's are in the news. It just seems odd that EMT's are left out of this pandemic and you don't hear anything on how EMT's are helping in this pandemic.
In the news they tend to use EMS/EMT/Paramedic interchangeably

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
Many lay persons could not tell you the difference between an EMT and a Paramedic. To them its one and the same.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief

No, I haven't. Sometimes I get called an EMT. Sometimes EMTs are called paramedics. I don't think the terms are well understood by those outside the industry. Sometimes we're all called ambulance people. Sounds like a Wes Craven movie.

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
What I mean by that is I am wondering why EMT's are being left out of the loop during this pandemic. It seems like Many states are asking for medical help but many states are not asking EMT's to pitch in and help. Instead many states are asking Paramedics,, NP, PA, MD and Do's to help out.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What I mean by that is I am wondering why EMT's are being left out of the loop during this pandemic. It seems like Many states are asking for medical help but many states are not asking EMT's to pitch in and help. Instead many states are asking Paramedics,, NP, PA, MD and Do's to help out.
Many states have been asking for any personal with a medical license to help out. Our state Medical Assistance Team is putting together a team of EMTs and Paramedics to head up north and help staff a SNF.

Phillyrube

Leading Chief
You didn't follow a stay at home order so we are going to transport and lock you in a small confined space with law enforcement and potentially other people. That seems like a logical way to prevent the spread of disease.
Yea, Orlando police arrested a homeless guy at 0400 for breaking curfew....while they're clearing out the lockups.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
NYTimes reporting summer peak will be worse after quarantines lifted than if we had never quarantined at all. Info sourced from CDC and other Fed agencies.

The models show a higher demand for ventilators in the short term if states had never issued the stay-at-home orders. But the spike in demand 150 days after lifting such an order is expected to be more severe than if the United States had never issued such orders and instead relied on school closures, sending people home to telework and directing the public to socially distance.

The federal agencies advised in the model that the projected demand for ventilators are “a worst-case scenario” and did not factor in states sharing the lifesaving devices across state lines.

(I know it is NYT... I like to get news from various outlets).

"Coronavirus Live Updates: U.S. Projects Summer Spike in Infections if Stay-At-Home Orders Are Lifted" https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/us/coronavirus-updates-usa.html

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Many states have been asking for any personal with a medical license to help out. Our state Medical Assistance Team is putting together a team of EMTs and Paramedics to head up north and help staff a SNF.
In my State of Connecticut for example, they seem to have left out EMT's and only are asking for Paramedics, PA, NP, MD, RT's and Do's.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
They've suggested releasing people from our jails. Both the DA and the Police Chief have balked at that idea. Basically said "Why? They're already about as isolated/quarantined as they're gonna get that we're already asking everyone else to do. Plus everything is closed, what jobs are they gonna get? Wont help anyone to release them in this situation, they're just gonna wind up going back into whatever crime they did ..."

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief

You are so flat out wrong on this it's just sad. Perhaps your local area is doing this. EVERY state that has staffing issues is asking for all levels, from CNA to MD. Your inability to understand this is an example of not knowing what is going on in the world.
Please, do some simple research before you post.

The above is an example of mentoring.