Coronavirus Discussion Thread

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Personally, its seems as though avoiding NIPPV generally makes sense even aside from the concerns about aerosolization.
Well I think we're now coming around to the idea that aerosolization is not a legitimate means of transferring COVID. There was this from JAMA at the beginning of the month finding no evidence of COVID in air samples, and I believe one or two similarly small studies backed that up.

In my opinion, true aerosol transmission is unlikely (assuming everyone who is sufficiently exposed to COVID becomes symptomatically infected). If that were the case, all these asymptomatic carriers who were out and about before the self-quarantining period would've infected droves of more people. So either: a) COVID is not airborne or b) there are a LOT of asymptomatic carriers (significantly more than modeled) or some combination there of.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Well I think we're now coming around to the idea that aerosolization is not a legitimate means of transferring COVID. There was this from JAMA at the beginning of the month finding no evidence of COVID in air samples, and I believe one or two similarly small studies backed that up.

In my opinion, true aerosol transmission is unlikely (assuming everyone who is sufficiently exposed to COVID becomes symptomatically infected). If that were the case, all these asymptomatic carriers who were out and about before the self-quarantining period would've infected droves of more people. So either: a) COVID is not airborne or b) there are a LOT of asymptomatic carriers (significantly more than modeled) or some combination there of.
There is a difference between a pathogen not being airborne and not being able to be aerosolized.

From the WHO: Airborne transmission is different from droplet transmission as it refers to the presence of microbes within droplet nuclei, which are generally considered to be particles <5μm in diameter, can remain in the air for long periods of time and be transmitted to others over distances greater than 1 m.

It seems pretty well established that coronavirus does not meet this definition of "airborne" or present the same risk that measles or TB do, both of which you can potentially be exposed to just by breathing air in the same room as someone who has those diseases. This is reflected in the current recommendations that level 3 masks rather than N95's are sufficient when caring for a known coronavirus carrier.

However, it is also pretty well established that droplets can potentially be aerosolized during airway procedures. For this to present a potential hazard to someone in close proximity to the patient - performing a bronch or suctioning or mask ventilating, for instance - does not require that the "droplets remain in the air for long periods of time and be transmitted over distances greater than 1m", which is I believe is what that study you mention was looking at. This is why a PAPR or N95 is recommended when doing things like that.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
My understanding was that the thing about NSAIDS and worse outcomes was a hypothesis based on anecdote and that there was no objective evidence at to support the link. Is that still the case?

No, I'm not aware of any meaningful evidence. That was what I was alluding to with the NSAIDs in asthma thing thing, it's a theory that's been perpetuated far beyond what the current evidence is.

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
Yesterday, at 17:20 Verizon sent out an Emergency Alert, like they do for an inbound Hurricane or similar, but this time it was an appeal by NYC for duly licensed Healthcare workers to report to NYC Healthcare facilities to Volunteer to help with the crisis. This was even after yesterday's annoucnement that 20,000 out of State providers have signed up and are coming to help us.

This is a bad sign.

If I knew how to post a pic, I did take a screen shot of it, before it disappeared if anyone would like to see it.

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
Of course it's just a bizarre coincidence the U.S. far exceeds the number of infections of all countries (presently over 1/4th of all reported infections world wide) and the denial, misinformation and outright lies from Fox and Trump.
The worst is yet to come. Look to the countries Trump has insulted and alienated to help bail the U.S. out.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Of course it's just a bizarre coincidence the U.S. far exceeds the number of infections of all countries (presently over 1/4th of all reported infections world wide) and the denial, misinformation and outright lies from Fox and Trump.
The worst is yet to come. Look to the countries Trump has insulted and alienated to help bail the U.S. out.
Again with the political BS? I thought that got shut down.

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Get real. You medicals are just dealing with symptoms. Lambs to the slaughter.
Dude, seriously no one even knows what you’re talking about anymore.

1st world, 3rd world. It doesn’t matter. Keep the political agendas out of this thread.

Mods, you all need to crack the ban hammer or lock the thread already. Exercise your liberties.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Haven’t visited this thread in a while. It sure has taken a 180 degree turn.

OP
OP
Akulahawk

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Now a not so polite reminder to keep politics out of this thread. This is for factual discussion about SARS-CoV2/COVID19 as we understand it and learn more about it. Once this is past us, we can Monday-morning Quarterback this all we want. I have already placed a ban on one user for bringing politics into this thread. That user may not reply in this thread for a few days. Keep this civil, and keep politics out of this thread. I do not want to have this thread turned into a moderated one.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Locally at least, the numbers *seem* to be starting to head in a better direction.

There are 442 confirmed COVID-19 cases statewide (Hawaii). 7 are newly confirmed. Only 42 cases have required hospitalization (none of the new ones). 6 deaths. 251 have recovered or have otherwise been released from isolation.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Man, I can't wait to take a vacation. **** is going to be so cheap.

Hawaii sounds great!

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I meant after this is over. People will be back at work and everything will be cheap

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Just dont book to soon. Right now all incoming travelers have a mandatory 14 day quarantine (subject to arrest if you dont actually stay in your lodging).

You didn't follow a stay at home order so we are going to transport and lock you in a small confined space with law enforcement and potentially other people. That seems like a logical way to prevent the spread of disease.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
You didn't follow a stay at home order so we are going to transport and lock you in a small confined space with law enforcement and potentially other people. That seems like a logical way to prevent the spread of disease.
Well, there's very little logical about any of this so at least we're being consistent here.