Class of 30 only 2 pass NREMT

halocell

Forum Probie
I am taking an EMT academy this summer , it is a nine week program and goes on monday through friday 8:30 am til 3 pm. Last summer was when the program had their first class. The class plans a day to go as a group to take the NREMT , which im guessing is to help keep everyone alittle more comfortable. Out of the class of 30 only two were able to pass the national registry. Do you think this is because of the short period of time the class runs ? Is it normal for only 2 people to pass out of a group of 30 ?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I took a 20 day, 8 hrs. per day EMT course with about 20 people, and, to my knowledge, everyone passed. That sounds like an atypically low pass rate.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I am taking an EMT academy this summer , it is a nine week program and goes on monday through friday 8:30 am til 3 pm. Last summer was when the program had their first class. The class plans a day to go as a group to take the NREMT , which im guessing is to help keep everyone alittle more comfortable. Out of the class of 30 only two were able to pass the national registry. Do you think this is because of the short period of time the class runs ? Is it normal for only 2 people to pass out of a group of 30 ?

Sounds like BS. Are they going to have a snipe hunt also? On the first day, did they have everyone stand up, then told you to, look left, look right, look at the people in from and behind you, then know they are not going to make it, and you aren't also?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
2 out of 30 passing sounds like instructor failure. It was the same way when I took my EMT-B class, and after that I heard the state yanked that instructor's cert. *

* There were other reasons also that I won't get into in a public forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hamms

Forum Ride Along
We did a 5 week course, with a 6th week of prep testing. Out of 11, 9 passed first try.

Sounds more like the program than the test.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
It's not the length of class. My FD puts our new cadets through a 4wk + ride outs class and have a near 100% first time pass rate. We haven't had somebody fail more than one attempt in over 5 years. Find a new class if you can. If you can't, you're left to self-study.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Nursing school, early 1980's I remember it well...
class of 265, including 26 males. End of fourth year, four of the original males and about 160 overall stayed for the BSN. And one guy got his sheepskin, dropped his mortarboard into the trash, and said "F&^k this, I'm going back to bartending". Of course we had some staff looking to keep men out (and thank heavens some working hard to give us a fair chance).

leoemt

Forum Captain
If this is the norm then it sounds like a crappy instructor. If its not the norm then it sounds like a class that became too close and decided to party instead of study. Im leaning more towards the former.

Taking your NREMT as a class is BS. You will take the test on NR terms not the schools terms. There are only a handful of testing sites and you will be competing for space with all the other programs. Most testing sites will only have a handful of computers devoted to the NREMT exam.

Where I took my test they had about 40 computers in the room. Of those only 5 were set up for the NREMT exam as the others were set up for different exams. The location must comply with strict regulations from NR and they will keep a space between testers. At my location the proctor told me that there was only one computer per row set up for the NREMT.

In all honesty this sounds like posturing on the part of a former student to intimidate newer students or to make them seem more important. Any instructor who is a professional wont try to fail their students. The NR isn't there to fail you they want you to pass.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
9/9 that finished medic class with me passed first try.

NREMT isn't rocket science.

Sounds like the instructor blew it.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
2 out of 30 passing sounds like instructor failure. It was the same way when I took my EMT-B class, and after that I heard the state yanked that instructor's cert. *

* There were other reasons also that I won't get into in a public forum.

+1. The NREMT exam is a reliable and verified exam based off of specific objectives. It is also not rocket science. A low pass rate can be directly attributed to an instructor's ability to educate.

I'd find another educational institution.

OP
OP
H

halocell

Forum Probie
Thank you all for the advice and information. I will be sticking with this academy being that it is free and the normal cost of EMT programs around here is at 500 dollars i believe including textbooks. Itll be hard for me if the instructor is at fault but im just going to try and make sure i read the book from the first to the last page.

leoemt

Forum Captain
Thank you all for the advice and information. I will be sticking with this academy being that it is free and the normal cost of EMT programs around here is at 500 dollars i believe including textbooks. Itll be hard for me if the instructor is at fault but im just going to try and make sure i read the book from the first to the last page.

There is the problem right there. Why is it free? If it is free because an employer or department is picking up the tab that is one thing. But if it is free as a generality then I am not surprised to see the high failure rate.

Have you ever heard the saying "you get what you pay for?" It is your education and your career. How much do you value your career? Education makes or breaks a EMT or Medic. You seem to be blinded by the fact the course is free. I understand the financial hardships but you are only hurting yourself in the long run.

You, Your partner, your employer and your patient deserve to get a competent provider. Don't be surprised if potential employers look down at where you got your EMT. Don't be surprised if you find EMS difficult and unenjoyable because you don't have a solid foundation.

The EMT school is your foundation which you will build upon. Crappy education = crappy foundation.

Good luck.

Hamms

Forum Ride Along
Exactly. LEOEMT gets it. I spent $500 on my course, best thing I ever did. Excellent instructors, I feel like I got way more than $500 worth.

kthealy

Forum Probie
I did the unitek bootcamp in CA. 14 days, 12hrs/day EVERYDAY. Took me 3 trys to pass NREMT, but I am confident in my skills when it comes to working real life calls. The NREMT is a test that requires simple patience and knowledge to pass it.

leoemt

Forum Captain
I did the unitek bootcamp in CA. 14 days, 12hrs/day EVERYDAY. Took me 3 trys to pass NREMT, but I am confident in my skills when it comes to working real life calls. The NREMT is a test that requires simple patience and knowledge to pass it.

And there is a reason why it probably took you three times. Had you failed the 3rd time you would have had to retake the EMT course.

A "bootcamp" style course is un impressive to me. They don't do anything to better the field and the providers they turn out tend to lack in some knowledge and skills due to the fast pace of the program.

Redland Rebel

Forum Ride Along
J B Learning

If you passsed the clinical and ride times, then buy the J B Learning and take the practice tests 100 times if need to. It will explain the right answer and why. I took the EMT-B Class at my CC and was so pumped about the program, I am getting my AS in EMS to go back to teach. Do not waste your money and try again if are not prepared. If you pass the JB Practive 150 question exams and get above a 90%, you should pass the NREMT. Good luck.

OP
OP
H

halocell

Forum Probie
Well the course is not free for everyone half the class is paying for it only highschool students who took part in the Firescience/First responder class at my school are getting in for free. But yes the fact that it is partly free could play a big role in the quality.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
An accelerated class may not impress you, but remember that EMT is just "advanced first aid". There's no substantive in depth knowledge needed. It's basically rote memorization and repetition for simple skills. Don't make it more than it is. For example, students with a Gregorc perceptual learning style of "concrete/sequential" do very well in a boot camp style program. (And well with testing) Abstract conceptualizers may struggle. That doesn't make the program "bad", it just means its not a good fit with the student's learning style.

leoemt

Forum Captain
An accelerated class may not impress you, but remember that EMT is just "advanced first aid". There's no substantive in depth knowledge needed. It's basically rote memorization and repetition for simple skills. Don't make it more than it is. For example, students with a Gregorc perceptual learning style of "concrete/sequential" do very well in a boot camp style program. (And well with testing) Abstract conceptualizers may struggle. That doesn't make the program "bad", it just means its not a good fit with the student's learning style.

While not making it more than what it is, it is more than "advanced first aid" as your so fond of saying. I am sure the core material is much different than when you took the course. It is not a simple "dummy" class.

My course wasn't a simple course. Believe it or not we actually learned how the body works, the different systems, and even some pharmacology. I do more on a daily basis than provide a horizontal taxi to the ER.

The nurses and doctors expect me to be competent and knowledgeable. They expect that I provide them with accurate information as to the patients condition.

Our education may not be as indepth as the paramedic or RN programs, but we are far from simply trained. Don't dumb down my certification. You may have worked in my area before but it has changed.

Education is what you make of it. A good basic program will make for good medics, RN's or wherever the basic decides to go. I would gladly put the skills of some of our basics against some of the Medics on here any day.