Chicago Fire

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I was just thinking about that episode and they did stop the truck though so retract that statement.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I was just thinking about that episode and they did stop the truck though so retract that statement.

Are you talking about starting an iv while moving or a pericardiocentesis? It is common some places to do rolling ivs.

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
I'd be surprised if it is to last more than 1 season. It simply is a re-hash of "Trauma", and NBC's second failed attempt to cash in on the emergency services as entertainment. The show is so cliché from the "dark tortured soul" of Lt, to the scars on the back of the chief, to the paramedic who is takes over the top risks. Bring back Emergency, now that was a show.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Just regular IVs. It would be fine on smooth even surface in moving truck but uneven, bumpy roads.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I do IVs all of the time in the moving ambulance. And not just on the interstate. I think it is far more common to find people who do IVs en route than people who never do IVs en route, or pull over to do them.

MexDefender

Forum Lieutenant
I know everyone is a bit upset by this show but think of the bright side of EMS

They are making a US version of this show
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLcLf0kcrqQ[/YOUTUBE]

Refino827

Forum Probie
I know everyone is a bit upset by this show but think of the bright side of EMS

They are making a US version of this show
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLcLf0kcrqQ[/YOUTUBE]

That was brilliant, lol. I've gotta check out the UK version seems pretty funny.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
I just saw my first episode a couple of nights ago. It was awful, and makes a mockery out of our profession. It makes Trauma look like a legitimate documentary, in comparison.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Just regular IVs. It would be fine on smooth even surface in moving truck but uneven, bumpy roads.

Pulled over to start an EJ the other day partially because I needed help holding her altered, grabby slef down so I could get the line and partially because that's one I'd rather not hit the random bump in the middle of starting it. Other than that most IVs get done in motion, especially if we are a decent ways out from the hospital. Only start a line on scene if I'm going to give meds or I need access before we move.

Another episode tonight. No one has presented a good argument against it other than "god it sucks so bad!!!!!!!!" so I'll continue to watch it :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
It's pretty bad. I've heard a rumor it will get better, though.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Just watched brunette medic palpate a patients carotid and diagnosed vfib...

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Just watched brunette medic palpate a patients carotid and diagnosed vfib...
that's totally realistic.... I witnessed a NYC paramedic (working as an EMT in NJ) diagnose afib by palpating a patient's wrist..... sad....:huh:

btw, he never was offered a job as a medic for the hospital based EMS system that he was working for

emsred23

Forum Ride Along
I'm not gonna say i dont yell at the tv when i see something stupid.. but i keep watching purely to laugh. however.... we did have a lady tell us if we didnt give her morphine "like they did on that new tv show" she would rerport us for "mal practice"...... i assume shes referring to the medic passing out meds like candy to the fd. thats's a little extreme i think

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
That's where I start most of mine. Many of them on rutted, washboard, gravel roads.

Same here, it's not uncommon for me to start a line while heading down an old logging road.

As far as the original topic. I watched the first episode, and found it to be on par with my expectations. It was pretty inaccurate, grossly dramatic, and far too sexy (yes, I just said too sexy). Basically, it's the typical Hollywood depiction of emergency services.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I did just happen to see part of Chicago fire by chance, and it was pretty bad. I saw a scene where a kid was trapped in a car wreck, and in order to see the side of the kids head to tell if it was injured or not, the Paramedic tells the kid to turn her head so she could look. I guess thats one way of clearing c spine.

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
I did just happen to see part of Chicago fire by chance, and it was pretty bad. I saw a scene where a kid was trapped in a car wreck, and in order to see the side of the kids head to tell if it was injured or not, the Paramedic tells the kid to turn her head so she could look. I guess thats one way of clearing c spine.

I always call the bird for a two car MVA in the middle of a city. :rolleyes:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show