Chicago Fire

Forum Crew Member
Was able to tolerate Rescue Me thanks to its generally dark and sadistic sense of humor. Not sure I'll be able to say the same for Chicago Fire and I don't think I'll even bother trying thanks to all the lovely reviews on this thread. Thanks for stopping me from needlessly killing a few extra braincells! :p

SarahAus

Forum Probie
I was so bummed when Trauma was cancelled. Mostly because I was an extra on it, and had so much fun :D

I got through maybe 15 minutes of Chicago Fire and had to turn it off. I'm sure it'd be fine if I knew nothing about the industry.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Has to be the most accurate depiction of the fire service that there ever has been. At times I think it is a reality show rather than fiction.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Has to be the most accurate depiction of the fire service that there ever has been. At times I think it is a reality show rather than fiction.

Hey - you forgot to use the Sarcasm font. I almost thought you were serious.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Hey - you forgot to use the Sarcasm font. I almost thought you were serious.

You mean the fire stations in your area aren't just like these? I mean this is gotta be big brother like reality TV.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Saw the pilot. An OK soap opera with echoes of Backdraft and other movies. Those guys are sure hot to go into buildings and vehicles without charged handlines, it takes forever to get handlines charged, and searching on top of an uncontrolled or attacked fire is suggested procedure. Still, there was a little bit of nostalgia at seeing them manually pressing door opening buttons and climbing aboard....but it is to firefighting and EMS as Grey's Anatomy is to medicine.Ptooey.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
OK my wife watched it and I was listening...

It's TV so it has to be true, right?

Ah, eyecandy and pandering to the lowst common denominator and our basest most embarassing secret pleasures. Lke eating all the Almond Roca at once.

Did I just say that?

Yes, full of technical gaffes and such, but I recognize some of the personality quirks and themes ("Chain O' Lakes!"). Hey, they actually showed a smoke-"filled" room on a TV fire drama (usually they are in smoke-free fires). Soon it will go the route of Grey's Anatomy (fantastic soap opera), but I'm enjoying the characters and the occasionally true notes they hit.

Just don't let the probies, er, candidates see it and pick up their "safety" procedures, like searching above fires alone and without a charged line even on the ground. (MEMO: need smiley face for gritting teeth)

Obstructions

Forum Crew Member
Lol @ paramedic pericardiocentesis w/o ultrasound or any other visualization.

She was hot though.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

She was hot though.

Our flight medics and RNs do it without ultrasound guidance...not that it happens all that often.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief

She was hot though.

You can do it without ultrasound.

Veneficus said a nifty trick is to watch the ECG as you insert the needle. If you get ectopy it means you've hit the myocardium.

I think you insert the needle at a 45 towards the... Right shoulder? Idk I'm just trying to seem smart when we all know I'm not.

This show is ridiculous. It makes Third Watch look like the holy grail of EMS shows.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Just noticed that the two EMS girls wear vests that say EMT. They have some seriously progressive EMT scope of practice over there in Chicago if thats the case...

They also diagnosed a firefighter who suffered an otherwise fatal inhalation burn from an explosion with COPD... He was diagnosed with acute chronic disease... Mind you, his face sustained no injury in the blast...

Last edited by a moderator:

Achilles

Forum Moron
I was surprised they didn't no what COPD was :wacko:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Just noticed that the two EMS girls wear vests that say EMT. They have some seriously progressive EMT scope of practice over there in Chicago if thats the case...

They also diagnosed a firefighter who suffered an otherwise fatal inhalation burn from an explosion with COPD... He was diagnosed with acute chronic disease... Mind you, his face sustained no injury in the blast...

Their patches say paramedic.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
And it's taught as a Washington paramedic skill... Or at least it was in my class.

Same here, I was also taught to and was lucky enough to place a chest tube on a cadaver and was tested on it. Also got to assist a surgeon with one in te ER during clinicals.

With that said, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it without someone their looking over my shoulder.

No, we don't have chest tubes in our scope where I work but we were still taught to do it. Also did a decent amount on chest tube maintenance, probably once a week ill do an ICU to ICU transfer with a vented pt with uni/bilateral chest tubes. No CCT service here unless they put a flight crew on a ground unit.

JPINFV

Gadfly

Could be a writing foul up. Acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive airways disease is an official (ICD-9) diagnosis. Additionally, some diseases like CHF can have diagnosis terms like "acute on chronic heart failure" for acute exacerbations of chronic heart failure.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Could be a writing foul up. Acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive airways disease is an official (ICD-9) diagnosis. Additionally, some diseases like CHF can have diagnosis terms like "acute on chronic heart failure" for acute exacerbations of chronic heart failure.

I'm not saying he can't have an acute exacerbation of a chronic illness but they literally gave him a new diagnosis of COPD on the sole basis of suffering a severe inhalation burn hours earlier.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm not saying he can't have an acute exacerbation of a chronic illness but they literally gave him a new diagnosis of COPD on the sole basis of suffering a severe inhalation burn hours earlier.

I just saw that. Kinda odd.

No tube or anything for his airway burns either, just a NRB.

I've said it a million times and I'll keep saying it, if they made it realistic no one would watch it because, lets be honest, or job can get pretty tedious, boring, routine, whatever word you want to use to describe it rather than exciting.

The backstory is pretty interesting so I'll keep watching it, just like I watched Trauma and still will watch since my mom decided to buy me the entire season. Plus the girls aren't bad to look at either ;)