Chicago Fire

Sublime

LP, RN
For those of you who took the time to watch it, how bad was it?

I heard the commercial on Pandora for it which included plenty of stereotypical and cheesy dialogue. Things like

Q: "How long you been a firefighter"
A: "Since I was born" :rolleyes:

So I have decided not to waste my time. I learned my lesson with the show "Trauma". This one seems to follow the same formula.

Would still like to hear others thoughts though.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Same same.

It's a stereotypical show, full of safety gaffes and drama for drama's sake.

They lost me when OBVIOUSLY the female firefighters are only on the ambulance. And then the hot one was gay and they made a joke about it in the first episode.

Or maybe she wasn't and it was just a rookie joke. I don't know. But I decided then that I wasn't going to waste my time with the show.

People who don't know better will love it, because it's very exciting and there are lots of lives saved and such, but it will perpetuate stereotypes and make real medics and firefighters look like incompetent losers when real drama comes up and they can't just miraculously fix every random thing.

/rant. :)

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
The show is god awful as far as depicting an accurate example of the modern fire service but never the less it does entertain and I keep watching it.

Granted the only other thing on at 10 on a wed is South Park.

My favorite show that just started is "Arrow." About the Green Arrow (comic book superhero) great show so far kind of like Batman with a bow/arrow.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You have to remember if they made a TV show about what we really do no one would watch it.

Is it accurate/correct? No. Is it entertaining? Yes.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Sadly, media mis-portrayal of a "glamorous" industry isn't limited to the EMS field. Remember "Pan Am" on ABC last year? Yeah... As someone who's been intimately involved in the airline industry for 17 years that show was an abomination. Yes, the show was set in the 60s, not current times, but it was still inaccurate to a ghastly degree. The aviation message board I help moderate quickly had a 12+ page thread with dissections of all the things that were "wrong". Including the massive use of CGI (which, from a production standpoint was necessary to make the show affordable to produce) which while probably mildly visible to the average person was STARK to us, and as un-lifelike as a blowup doll.

The show was not renewed... no one was surprised.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
It's TV so it has to be true, right?

Ah, eyecandy and pandering to the lowst common denominator and our basest most embarassing secret pleasures. Lke eating all the Almond Roca at once.

Did I just say that?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I like it... Does anyone watch cop shows for the realism value? No. You dont want to watch work while you're at home. You want to watch something entertaining and funny. It's BS why Trauma was cancelled, it was a good show and characters were being developed pretty well near the end, but all the blowhards *****ed about it being to unrealistic and protested they would never watch and get tons of people on board with it. So guess what, they cancelled it. I guess the squeaky wheel truly gets the grease.

74restore

Forum Crew Member
To people trained in any type of EMS, the shows a joke. It makes paramedics and firefighters alike look uneducated. I realize its supposed to be a drama, but good lord...

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
To people trained in any type of EMS, the shows a joke. It makes paramedics and firefighters alike look uneducated. I realize its supposed to be a drama, but good lord...

We don't need television to make us look undereducated. We've already done that one for ourselves...

Achilles

Forum Moron

It you realize it's drama then you should realize its not a documentary thus probably not true.
If they did everything the way it was suppose to be, it wouldn't be much of a tv show.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
just show EMS people in a favorable and sympathetic light.

As they do on "Jersey Shore".

419345-snooki_thumb.jpg

Show's don't get cancelled because a bunch of paramedics and EMT's act up, they get cancelled because of industry politics, failure to deliver demograhics to sponsors, or simply not enough people watch anymore. And apparently they DO track TiVo etc. ;)

MexDefender

Forum Lieutenant
I watched the first two episodes, the show made me cringe a bit because it doesn't follow reality but someone already pointed out if they showed EMS in all its glory people would not think are job is so glamorous for the most part.

I think it lacks in some of the drama department by over/under playing some of the characters and the emotional baggage they have. for normal people it may be a good show, I'm glad I don't know much about COP procedure and what not or else I'd cringe at those shows as well.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
For those of you who took the time to watch it, how bad was it?

I heard the commercial on Pandora for it which included plenty of stereotypical and cheesy dialogue. Things like

Q: "How long you been a firefighter"
A: "Since I was born" :rolleyes:

So I have decided not to waste my time. I learned my lesson with the show "Trauma". This one seems to follow the same formula.

Would still like to hear others thoughts though.

I think it's hilarious!
It's Hollywood. Leave the poor guys alone. Pericardiocentesis scene. Really?
Oh, and keep driving while I do it. No problem.
Lets set up a ladder pipe and slide down the hoseline after a structural collapse, mmmmk?

'Doing the same sh*t as doctors at 60mph!' will surely be a quote in one of the episodes...

Copper

Forum Ride Along
I like plenty of shows that do not follow reality -- that's why I watch them.

This doesn't need to hide behind such an excuse -- it really is just an awful show.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I was told about it and decided to watch it, it was cool for the first 10 minutes as they're running calls but after that the drama started and I decided to get some sleep.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Oh yeah and try starting a line in a moving truck lol