Career Change... Into EMS, Advice?

TikiGod_Mmbootu

Forum Ride Along
Hey there... my name's Tony. I am 29 and new to this forum. My questions is, as someone who is about to turn 30 in an EMT-B class of mostly 18-21 year olds... did I miss my window?

I have spent the last 11 years in public safety, two of which I was also a volunteer firefighter before moving back to an area that is 100% career departments. During my time with the VFD I really got into EMS, making every medical call I could manage. Including the "regulars" that the other responders often grumbled about. I spent more time hanging out and learning at the local EMS station then I did hanging at the VFD, which I lived at as a resident firefighter, student program. Well, I figured out that while I really enjoyed volunteer firefighting, EMS was were my heart was. I moved back here about four years ago and have been out of fire/rescue/EMS all together, until now. I am not an EMT-B student and with all the younger EMT-B students I wonder, do I stand a chance?

Any input, advice, opinions, criticism, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to switch my careers to something I love instead of something that I do because I have been doing it for over a decade (I started out as a college campus public safety officer in 1997).

Thanks!

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
There is no problem with the fact that your 30 and the rest are 21. You have more maturity than them, most probably better work ethic. You also say you were a volunteer fire fighter so you no the way ems works and stress that is related. The one thing you have to remember is, one life, will you regret not doing your emt-b & helping people when you’re sitting in a chair in your mid 80s.

The one thing I can’t answer is getting into the course, one reason I live in a different country. Hope this helps man.

FF894

Forum Captain
It might be a little difficult at first but overall it will be fine. Just focus on the program and do the best you can and dont let ages distract you (meaning them) With your experience thus far you should have no problem with the course and you will be glad you did.

aidan

Forum Crew Member
Hmm, I'm lost. EMTs don't retire at 29, so it wouldn't be crazy to start at 30 or anything.. :p The only problem you may find is studying. The young kids have an advantage since we are fresh out of high school and/or are college students. Just figure out a study routine and you'll be golden.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Hmm, I'm lost. EMTs don't retire at 29, so it wouldn't be crazy to start at 30 or anything.. :p The only problem you may find is studying. The young kids have an advantage since we are fresh out of high school and/or are college students. Just figure out a study routine and you'll be golden.

Nope! They retire BEFORE 29 if your name is KevD!!

In my EMT class, I was the youngest, we had one girl there that was 50 years old. Most of our students were in their late 20's early 30's.

So don't sweat it, being older works in your favor with patient contact, they tend to trust older looking people a lot easier than they do someone who looks fresh outta high school! ( I speak from experience. <_< )

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
I was 34 when I took mine. The younger kids... they tend to take any class as high school, extended, which generally equates to poor students. You're actually at an advantage going in a bit older in that respect.

Missing your window... I don't think so.

Later!

--Coop

NREMT3138

Forum Probie
It's Never Too Late To Start

Hi. I am 48 years old and achieved something last week that I never thought would happen. I got my Paramedic certification. I got my Basic (NC and National Registry) 6 years ago, my Intermediate a year ago, and my Paramedic a week ago. If you love this business of helping people and possibly saving a life as much as I do, don't ever let "numbers" stand in your way and never ever doubt yourself on what you can accomplish. Oh - and I did this while working full time and raising a teenager by myself.

Good luck!!

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Don't let the age get to you. I had a mother in my class who also had a high school age son taking the class at the same time. She was definitely the most motivated and because of that she had the highest grade in the class.

OP
OP
TikiGod_Mmbootu

TikiGod_Mmbootu

Forum Ride Along
B) Thanks for the input! Actually, as for studying goes... I enjoy the material so much that I haven't had an issue really getting into the materials. I am really excited and looking forward to this new chapter in my life. Running med/trauma calls was the highlight of my professional life and I look forward to getting back into it. I truly enjoy helping people and the medical world really interests me. Thanks again!

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Sounds like a perfect match. Lol get out there and make a difference to this world. Keep safe, and keep learning.

EMT-B2B

Forum Crew Member
Im like you Tiki! I am so caught up in it that I'm already studying stuff. I'm 30 and starting my school in Jan. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels, (fealt), this way. I was thinking that I might be a bit late in getting started.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
In my class of 45, 30 was the median age, most people being in mid 20s or early 30s. Even had a couple 40 year olds. Age doesn't factor in to the equation.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
As old as 29 eh?

danguitar12345

Forum Probie
Answer

dont bite off more than you can chew (personal exp.)

iamjeff171

Forum Crew Member
dont do it you're too old, grandpa!(sarcasm doesnt really translate over the internets, so ill go ahead and point it out.)

in my class of about 20, at least half were over 40. they didnt seem to have any more trouble with the material than the youngins (i was 22 when i took my class). i think being older is probably an advantage. Us kiddos dont always get respect while doing clinicals in the ER and ambulance that non-kiddos get. which can lead to being treated like cr@p and not getting the greatest help in learning.

as far as being more fresh on test taking from high school...if you have taken a high school common exam lately, they arent exactly the most difficult things in the world...

if you are passionate about ems and willing to put in the extra effort to be the best you can, you dont have anything to worry about. my personal rule #1: dont make excuses... if you want it, make it happen.

best of luck to you.

-Jeff

Laur68EMT

Forum Crew Member
Hi. I am 48 years old and achieved something last week that I never thought would happen. I got my Paramedic certification. I got my Basic (NC and National Registry) 6 years ago, my Intermediate a year ago, and my Paramedic a week ago. If you love this business of helping people and possibly saving a life as much as I do, don't ever let "numbers" stand in your way and never ever doubt yourself on what you can accomplish. Oh - and I did this while working full time and raising a teenager by myself.

Good luck!!

I think that's outstanding!! Congratulations!!

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
I will be 29 in feb,I am the oldest one in my class. I will be finished next month, I am also in the top 10% in my class. Age is just a number it is all about how bad you want something. If you put your mind to it you can do anything you want. It also helps to have a good support team and study, study, study. Do the workbook, make flash cards and emtb.com is a very resource ful site. best of luck to you.