CARE ambulance

Do you really need to have gone through a fire academy to run 911 with this company?

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
No. Though, I've heard in house prefers guys with a fire academy.

From their website:I guess it's preferred....

Special Assignment / Fire Station Locations

3) Graduation from a California State Board of Fire Services or California State Fire Marshall Certified Academy, or equivalent.

4) Six months prior EMT experience

5) May not smoke or otherwise use any tobacco product.

unite69er

Forum Probie
Just got an interview date with them for Monday. On my way back from getting offered a position with two IFT companies.

JohnCA

Forum Ride Along
I second the previous question.

What does CARE pay? What are the shifts like?

I am currently beginning EMT training and hope to work with CARE once I am done.

I currently have a full-time job that pays 12.56/hr, but I want to work in the Health Care and Civil Assistance World and I'm hoping I can at least get that pay or something similar if there is a lot of overtime.

How long are the shifts? Do they start you off part-time? Full-time? When do you usually get benefits?

If anyone works there and has all that basic info I would greatly appreciate it if you share it!

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief

I am currently beginning EMT training and hope to work with CARE once I am done.

I currently have a full-time job that pays 12.56/hr, but I want to work in the Health Care and Civil Assistance World and I'm hoping I can at least get that pay or something similar if there is a lot of overtime.

How long are the shifts? Do they start you off part-time? Full-time? When do you usually get benefits?

If anyone works there and has all that basic info I would greatly appreciate it if you share it!
I'm pretty sure all the 911 companies in LA and OC pay between $10-11 per hour for day or night shifts. Usually there's a lower pay rate if you work 24-hour shifts because you're being paid for downtime, too, and more likely to hit weekly overtime. I'm sure there are a few exceptions.

tylerkd07

Forum Crew Member

start off pay is 10.50(day care) for no emt experience prior unless you have a year exp.
benefits starts the 1st of the next month
theres 10 hour shifts to 12
you run fire calls and ift calls.
you start at fulltime
you make your money with overtime. which there is alot right now.
after you clear training youll be able to pick up any shift you want. (if the there are avaible shifts open)

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnCA

Forum Ride Along
start off pay is 10.50(day care) for no emt experience prior unless you have a year exp.
benefits starts the 1st of the next month
theres 10 hour shifts to 12
you run fire calls and ift calls.
you start at fulltime
you make your money with overtime. which there is alot right now.
after you clear training youll be able to pick up any shift you want. (if the there are avaible shifts open)

GREAT info, thanks.

Does overtime kick in after 8 hours? I know some jobs where you work 4 10's and there is no overtime within that.

How are they with Paramedic student schedules?

bchasep

Forum Crew Member
they arent very flexible, if you want to work for care, make sure you are able to give 4-5 days a week full availability

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Tyler, they don't have 24 hour shifts?
I know I've spoken to 24 hour crews at hospitals in the past.

John, a common practice is that you get daily overtime on "short shifts", but if you're on a 24 shift, you only get weekly overtime. Again, just a standard practice. Many exceptions I'm sure.

Addrobo, from what I hear from, most 911 companies in in LA/OC need consistent schedules. You basically have to match your schedule to one of their unfilled pre-existing shifts, especially when first starting. I don't think there are any 911 providers left who start you out part-time (this was different a few years ago).

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
Takes about a year to get on a 24 typically depending on how many hours you work. And they recently just changed it so there's no longer going to be shift bids every six months. You now have to wait for a spot to open up on any shift that you want to move to. Could our scheduling be getting that lazy?

JohnCA

Forum Ride Along
Takes about a year to get on a 24 typically depending on how many hours you work. And they recently just changed it so there's no longer going to be shift bids every six months. You now have to wait for a spot to open up on any shift that you want to move to. Could our scheduling be getting that lazy?

Does this mean you keep set shifts, week after week?