Can I be EMT with Epilepsy?

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
There are other things you can do other than be on the truck.

You can teach. Go get your medic, and then teach.
Be a dispatcher
Work as a medic in a hospital
Work in a clinic.
Work offshore.

There are a lot of opportunities out there besides being on the truck.

nightstar22

Forum Crew Member
there might be hope for you yet... if you can find a private service to work for.. normally they typically carry non-emergency transports, where lights are not requiered... or in the emergency world, if you can show that your epilepsy is controlled by medication, you might have a chance.. also there are jobs available in the er..

Sasha

Forum Chief
And that makes them similar?

The OP gave the impression that he was looking for the fast paced, non-desk job part of being an EMT/Paramedic.

While not similar in many aspects, I'd say that an in-hospital ER job is a lot more fast paced and busy than most trucks (IFTs excluded, if you count being busy driving around all day occasionally sitting and staring a patient in the back and maybe taking a BP.... Critical Care and HEMS excluded from THAT comment.) Hence giving him the "fast paced non desk job" he's looking for.

You don't have to ride around on a truck to be busy.

Sasha

Forum Chief
The whole point of what I want to do is go on calls as an EMT, not a nurse.

And I hate to break it to you, but in life you don't always get what you want. I know it sucks, you never asked to have epilepsy, but you have it and must deal with the consequences. Being an EMT is not all it's cracked up to be. Many people are under the impression that it's fast paced, always running to a call to save some lady having a baby or pull a man out of burning wreckage before the car explodes.

It's not. It's running lights and sirens at 3am, might be your first call all shift or maybe your 12th in 9 hours, to someone who'se had a pain in their side for six weeks and finally decided maybe they should get it checked out, nothings changed they just think it's gone on long enough and their family follows behind in the car, or the local homeless man is sleeping on the side walk again and someone passerby thought he might be dead.

Then there are the mind numbing hours where you sit in the truck, with nothing to do but talk to your partner who you may or may not get along with.

zzyzx

Forum Captain
You should consider becoming an RN. Once your epilepsy is totally under control, you can always challenge the medic test. Education is really important in our field, and by going down the path of becoming an RN, you will give yourself many more options for your future. Consider also that as an RN you can work on helicopters.

Good luck with everything. It's nice to meet young people like you who are so enthusiastic about EMS.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I see a lot of discouraging posts... and I disagree. As long as your epilepsy is under control for some time I don't see why your condition would prevent you from pursuing a career in EMS. You said you had a test done to determine if bright, flashing lights would induce a seizure and you did fine.

As long as your neurologist certifies you as being ok to perform in EMS and your epilepsy has been under control for some time I would have no problem hiring you or working with you. My advice is to pursue your passion and don't let anybody influence your decision not to. We can all play the 1,001 "what if"s" game all day.. as we can with ppl who are diabetics. Should diabetics not be permitted to function in EMS?

reaper

Working Bum
The difference is what EMS want. Most will not hire you, unless you can prove 3-5 years of no seizures. Does not matter if your seizure have been under control for a year or two. Have you ever heard of break through seizures. They happen whether you are properly medicated or not. That is something that you must deal with.

There is a reason why most systems will not hire someone with Epilepsy. How would you feel or deal with the liability if you had a seizure while treating a pt? Now ask that same question, if you were driving? How are you going to deal with having a seizure and crashing the ambulance, while running L&S. You now just killed your partner and pt! Can you see why there is the concerns involved.

Diabetics are different. They can control and monitor their BGL. There is a way of having that warning ahead of time. There is no warning with a seizure, except for those that might have auroras, seconds before.

I will tell you this from experience. I had a partner that never revealed his epilepsy. He had a seizure while driving to a call. Put the truck into a building. Luckily it was on way to call and I was up front with a seatbelt on. If I was in the back, I would have been killed. When we questioned him about his seizures, he stated that they had been under control for years. He also stated that he knew he would not get hired, if he told the truth. So, because he felt the need to not disclose his condition, he almost killed both of us.

On the flip side. I work with a IDDM every day. He checks his BGL every hour, while on shift. I keep an eye on him for changes in his mental status. This is something that can be controlled.

I would take the suggestions of looking at a different career path. Emergency nursing can be an exciting career, if that is what you are looking for!

I do not want to come off sounding mean, just giving you the facts of life.

curt

Forum Crew Member
I don't see why not, except for some exceptionally bad timing when trying to start an IV or IO. :p

Really, though, you could probably do well for yourself in a clinic situation as a medic.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
You can teach. Go get your medic, and then teach.

And be a bad teacher as no experience to draw from. Hard to teach only what you have read about.

Sasha

Forum Chief
And be a bad teacher as no experience to draw from. Hard to teach only what you have read about.

Haven't been to a medic school in awhile, have ya? He'd fit right in!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Haven't been to a medic school in awhile, have ya? He'd fit right in!

Nope I'm just an inexperienced instructor.:p:wacko:

Afflixion

Forum Captain
I can see both sides of the story. I suggest talking with a potential employer you may wish to work for before hand. If they agree to hire you and say you do have a seizure and end up getting fired for it you can always work in an ED as a medic / EMT granted as an EMT you'll be stuck changing bed pans and triaging but it wouldn't waste your schooling and money. As a medic you can do ALOT more in a hospital environment than an EMT though. I'd still suggest the ER nursing route though my father has been an ER nurse for 2 decades now despite him having his CRNA he still prefers ER nursing over that. You can always be a flight nurse still if you like going on calls as well.

Sasha

Forum Chief
You can always be a flight nurse still if you like going on calls as well.

A seizing nurse with a critical patient in an even smaller space than an ambulance that's flying around in the air sounds even worse then a paramedic in an ambulance.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
yes, but you will have your flight medic with you. on a flight team your never alone (unless your in the army but even then you got the flight chief.) I'm just trying to give this kid options he can look forward too I don't like killing peoples aspirations.

Sasha

Forum Chief
yes, but you will have your flight medic with you. on a flight team your never alone (unless your in the army but even then you got the flight chief.) I'm just trying to give this kid options he can look forward too I don't like killing peoples aspirations.

Life is tough, sometimes your situation is not compatible with your aspirations. Suck it up and move on. Kids are raised to believe as long as you try really hard, you can be anything you wanted, which is total BS.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
not saying that it isn't but if your gonna destory one path in life at least have an alternative. I see nothing wrong with being on a air ambulance with epilepsy...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Most States will not re-issue a drivers license unless one has been seizure free for a period time (my state is 3 years).

R/r 911

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
not saying that it isn't but if your gonna destory one path in life at least have an alternative. I see nothing wrong with being on a air ambulance with epilepsy...

If i've said it once, I've said a thousand times:

You have to put yourself in the shoes of the patient or the patients family. Whenever I objectively analyize a EMSers capabilites and there value in the EMS community, I have to ask myself, "Would I want this person treating me or my family?" Now I usually apply this to newbies (MFRs and EMTs), but lets apply it here... How would you feel knowing that you or your family member was recieveing critical care from someone that could keel over at any time? Sure, as a flight nurse you are backd up by someone, but there is a reason that 2 medical providers are on them... Air Ambulances are used (primarily) for the more critical patients and usually require more care than can be provided by one person. Then, what happens when a medical provider starts seizing in the air. Now you have two patients and one Medic/Nurse. Math doesn't pan out. Nor does it on a ground unit. I hate crushing anyones dreams, but if you have a disability or medical condition, the reality is that you may not be able to accomplish everything you want in life. Here, we are talking about emergent patient care, something that should not be toyed with by someone who can go down at a moments notice.

Sorry, OP, but I have to say that when I analyize it from a patients perspective, I would not be comforatable with someone who has a RECENT history of seizures treating me in an emergent situation. On top of that, as an EMT driving is a big part of your job. I don't want anyone with a RECENT history of seizures driving any vehicle on the same road as me, especially driving one with a known "seizure producer"... those nice flashing lights. That said, as has been pointed out, Ambulance and Fire are just 2 EMS available jobs out there. If you want to get into EMS or health care, there are many other avenues, and who knows, maybe your seizures will become a thing of the past and you can make a go at Ambulance or Fire, but I WOULDN'T work with someone who could potentially be a dangerous liability of a call or knowingly allow them to work on me or a family member. SORRY!

Last edited by a moderator: