Can I be EMT with Epilepsy?

Joseph1991

Forum Ride Along
Hello. Unfortunatly I have Epilepsy and I am 17 years old, 18 in June, and I have been rejected from the Navy and Army because of it in an interview, which is embarrassing. They told me that I will never have a career in the Emergency Medical Services because of my Epilespy, which was kind of a hard thing to take because since I was little I always wanted to join the Navy to be in Emergency, Fire and Rescue and was always looking forward to it and now I find out I am disqualified...

I was just wondering if I can have a job such as an EMT, I am prepared, I have studied it like crazy and I am really looking forward to it.. if I am allowed.

So basically my question is can I be an EMT having Epilepsy?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Contact your state's office of EMS because its really a case by case issue.

Side questions that can help answer/decide if you are fit for EMS
Are you seizure free? if so how long? and do you have your drivers license/can you have?

Sasha

Forum Chief
I don't know of any state sanctions or laws regarding EMTs with epilepsy, but personally I don't see how it would be a good idea, especially with all those flashy lights.

imurphy

Forum Captain
I think an active seizure in the last 2 years disqualifies you from driving, and most services require you be both an EMT and a driver.

Your next stop is the DMV (or RMV depending on your state!) and your OEMS.

Good luck!

mikie

Forum Lurker
if you don't mind getting personal...

It would be more helpful to know if gave us a little background (ie- last seizure, medicated?, previous issues? etc)

OP
OP
J

Joseph1991

Forum Ride Along
It would be more helpful to know if gave us a little background (ie- last seizure, medicated?, previous issues? etc)

Well I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 15, at 15 it was serious. Now it is under control and I am taking Lamictal and I feel as I don't even have epilepsy now that I have been on it for 2 years, at first I was taking Klonopin, but while I was on that I was having a seizure every other day just about.

Now I haven't had a seizure since July 19 2008, I can drive and my neurologist actually had this test done on me where they put glasses on me and they had bright bright lights on the side and they flicker extremely fast into my eyes for about 8 minutes, and I wasn't effected at all. So he said flashing lights would not be a problem. I don't know what I can do if I can't be an EMT or Cop, I have been on calls to see what it was like and I just loved the job. I am not the kind of person that can have a desk job, I am going to be extremley pissed if thats what it comes to. Right now I work at Best Buy, soooooo boring.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Would you really be willing to risk your patients, partners and your own life because you don't think you have it? If you do go for it, try to get a non-driving position. Some places do that. (mostly just for medics around here).

Best of luck to you, I hope it works out the way you want it to.

thatgirl00

Forum Crew Member
Joseph1991,

I hope that you can achieve your dreams of being and EMT/firefighter or whatever else you wish. you should definitely set up an interview or at least go talk to someone in your area. the people I have been talking to while just getting started are the Volunteer Coordinators.

good luck with everything

also, have you ever though of being an hospital-ER doctor or nurse? i assume that is pretty much the same thing as an emt only not on scene.

OP
OP
J

Joseph1991

Forum Ride Along
I would not mind having a non-driving position, Driving does not matter to me, that would be a bad idea guess, but doing everything that EMT's do on scene I don't see a problem with that.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
ER Physicians/Nurses and EMTs are very different careers

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
The whole point of what I want to do is go on calls as an EMT, not a nurse.
You should probably start warming up to the nurse idea. Sorry, but you have no career future in EMS. You might get a job. And you might last awhile. But it seems an incredible waste to work for two hard years to get that job, only to eventually lose it and never do it again, and have to start over at square one with a new profession.

Sasha

Forum Chief
You have been seizure free for less than a year. As an EMT/Paramedic you are sometimes the sole provider of care in back. What is to happen if you have a seizure in the middle of a code? Should the patient suffer because of your desire to be an EMT/Paramedic when you have health problems?

You talk about not having a desk job, have you done any research into the day to day of an EMT/Paramedic besides watching Rescue Me? It can get so mind numbingly boring that a desk job would be welcomed. As oppose to an ER Nurse who always has a patient, up to four patients (ERs I did clinicals in.) at a time, all requiring attention. It's less of a desk job then EMT/Medic ever will be.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Have you thought about being an Emergency Medical Dispatcher. If you can't be an EMT then dispatch. You would still be a part of EMS just not in the field. In another thread on this forum I forget which it stated that in some places the EMD makes more than the EMT.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Become an RN and be a CCTRN

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Have you thought about being an Emergency Medical Dispatcher. If you can't be an EMT then dispatch. You would still be a part of EMS just not in the field. In another thread on this forum I forget which it stated that in some places the EMD makes more than the EMT.

Um out here EMDs make $20 + starting.

Do that, make a butt load of money, maybe get your CNA, and go to nursing school.

Being on scene isn't always as awesome as you might think. Yay I get to go to this crazy lady's house for the 400th time and it reeks of cat urine!

Oh and I have the utmost sympathy for you. My dad is epileptic and it almost just feels unfair. It's hard. I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I work with a few epileptics, one just had a seizure, he drives a desk for 6 months until he is re evaluated. He wasnt discriminated agaisnt due to a medical condition. Prove you have your illness under control, I dont see a problem.

Good luck.