CA Ambulance License Info

MatthewGannon

Forum Ride Along
HI, i'm new here to EMTLIFE and have a question that someone can answer *hopefully*

I recently obtained my Ambulance Certification through the DMV (Here in Cali) and after looking through some ambulance company applications, I realized they look for the license. I already have all my other certifications as an EMT-1 along with my EMT license. I just need to know how to get my license for an ambulance. Thank you in advance!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The ambulance certification is the ambulance license.

OP
OP
M

MatthewGannon

Forum Ride Along
The ambulance certification is the ambulance license.
Is this just in California or all states? This would mean I could mark that I have my ambulance license even though I have never driven behind the wheel of one?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Is this just in California or all states? This would mean I could mark that I have my ambulance license even though I have never driven behind the wheel of one?
It’s only for CA as CA is the only state (I believe) that requires it.

It is different from a normal license from the DMV. It is up to your employer to make sure you know how to drive the ambulance and not up to the DMV.

Really all it is is a piece of paper that you have to renew when your normal drivers license expires. It is completely useless.

Generic

Forum Crew Member

If you have taken the ambulance written test (and passed) and have your medical examiner”s card then you are good to go. It is up to each ambulance company to teach you how to drive the ambulance properly. Legitimate companies will give you experience behind the wheel before cutting you loose to be on your own. Illegitimate companies may cut you loose on your first day.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Really all it is is a piece of paper that you have to renew when your normal drivers license expires. It is completely useless.

Its also a b***h to renew.