Buying an ambulance?

MarilynEagle

Forum Crew Member
This is a bit of a bizarre question... but I am considering purchasing an ambulance. I will be getting my license soon and I need a vehicle. I found one online for 4,000 and I think that might not actually be a terrible investment. Eventually I'll get a real car, but I am thinking that it would be pretty cool to get around in an ambulance. I am nearly finished with me EMT-B course and plan to work as an EMT-B once I turn 18 in August. Obviously I know I wouldn't actually transport patients, drive fast, or turn on lights and sirens.

My question for you guys is would it be completely lame, ridiculous, stupid, etc.? Would I have to write "not in service" or remove any of the lights? Any concerns that you might have?

Here is the link http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2000-Ford-E350--117231089

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
My question for you guys is would it be completely lame, ridiculous, stupid, etc.? Would I have to write "not in service" or remove any of the lights? Any concerns that you might have?
Yes, yes, and yes.

It's a bad, lame idea. Guaranteed more people will laugh at you than think it's cool. Show up to a job interview driving an ambulance and your application will be in the trash before you walk in the door. Plus, ambulances are gross you don't want to be in there if you don't have to.

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
Does it come with the power gurney? I believe that gurney alone is $10,000. If it does come with it and you don't buy it, I will. Then resell it all separately and make a few bucks?

NVM. just read the description. that sucks.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
would it be completely lame, ridiculous, stupid, etc.?
Yes. Yes. And Yes. You can (well should be) easily able to find a decent used car that isn't a rolling germ box for less than 4 grand. Especially since said petri dish on wheels probably has far more miles and less maintenance done throughout its service life than an old muscle car does...... As far as removing lights and out of service markings, that entirely depends on local laws. I know I've seen some companies use old rigs as repurposed utility trucks with yellow lens' on all the lights and all markings/logos removed. About the only possible reason I can think of to buy it would be to get used to driving a big heavy box with crap for handling, acceleration, braking and viability...but you can do that far more easily (and cheaper) by renting a U-Haul (or similar) for the weekend. Sorry, but nothing screams "Whacker" more than buying and cruising around town in your own personal ambulance.......

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Hahaha WHAT?! Dude spend 4K and get a normal car. I'll give you my freakin car to stop you from doing that.

Mind is blown.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Depending on how many miles that pre-'03 7.3 liter diesel has on it that might make a semi decent RV for short stays. But for cruisin', not so much.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Very bad idea.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I know how hard we run our ambulances here and I would never consider buying one. Some of our ambulances run for 24 hours a day for several weeks. Employees can be very hard on the brakes and very hard on the gas pedal. Some don't slow down at all for speed bumps.

So in addition to all the nasty stuff that you will find in an ambulance you will probably have several very costly repairs. You can get a very decent used car for 4K.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, absolutely do it!. Spend 4000 bucks on a vehicle which has been rode hard and hung up wet and has over 300K miles on it!!! 300K miles!!! You would run from a car with that many, why on earth would you want an ambulance that has been driven hard and fast, tested repeatedly by literally dozens upon dozens of drivers who drove it like they stole it???

Sigh...I hope you are just a troll.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yes, absolutely do it!. Spend 4000 bucks on a vehicle which has been rode hard and hung up wet and has over 300K miles on it!!! 300K miles!!! You would run from a car with that many, why on earth would you want an ambulance that has been driven hard and fast, tested repeatedly by literally dozens upon dozens of drivers who drove it like they stole it???

Sigh...I hope you are just a troll.
This comment can be read many different ways...

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Can't really knock the 300,000 miles, not that crazy, especially being as old as it is. That said, now that you had the thought, I hope it is all the way through your head and out the other side. Put that 4k down on a nice used car and be a happy, normal person.

On a side note, I my family almost borrowed a for-sale fire truck for a day as a joke for my brother's 16th birthday. Didn't work out unfortunately, but my point is, it was a joke. Because that is just crazy talk.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I do want a 4x4 type 1 4500 dodge.. eventually.. but thats to turn it into an expo vehicle

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
A little different than buying a 'bolance to use as a daily driver.
True. On top of everything else they're expensive to run as a dd

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Only if it looks like this

image.jpg
Or this

image.jpg

Seriously though, don't do it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That money for a vehicle with 300k on it? No thanks. Even with that powertrain, it's not worth that.

Nevermind the image part.

We have a 97 Ford Type II with a 4x4 conversion and a side window, people will be fighting for that when it gets retired. Thing gets down goat paths...

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Depending on how many miles that pre-'03 7.3 liter diesel has on it that might make a semi decent RV for short stays. But for cruisin', not so much.

You MIGHT be a truck guy if......

First thing I thought of when I read this was "well, maybe if it has a 7.3 PSD......that plus a 4x4 conversion might be pretty cool"